Texas Winter 2022-2023

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Texas Winter 2022-2023

#1 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:56 pm

Surprised that no one has done this yet, but I’ll start it now in August.

I’m personally thinking that there is a higher than normal risk of a very mild winter for the Southern Plains, despite the Farmers almanac saying a incredibly nasty winter is possible for the Central and parts of the Southern Plains.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

TXdaddy217
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2022-2023

#2 Postby TXdaddy217 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:12 am

Thank you for starting this thread. I am so done with 100 degree days. Hopefully we can all get a little something of winter joy throughout the state. :cold:
4 likes   
I am not a meteorologist. Anything posted by me should not be taken as an official forecast. Get your information from respected sources such as NWS and NOAA. I get my weather information the same way Hank Hill does ..... I look out the window and say ... "YUP".

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:47 pm

TXdaddy217 wrote:Thank you for starting this thread. I am so done with 100 degree days. Hopefully we can all get a little something of winter joy throughout the state. :cold:

I know! I am too! But perhaps we need to wait a few more months before this can get going.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Itryatgolf
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby Itryatgolf » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:19 pm

Last winter we was fortunate to have a east based niña and that allowed for a better pacific than anticipated. This winter may not be as fortunate. However, I've heard that a +qbo correlates with higher sunspot activity, hence usually leading to more blocking and -qbo correlates with lower sunspot activity. I'm thinking December may be our best opportunity at winter weather. A little different than last winter
1 likes   

Itryatgolf
Category 1
Category 1

#5 Postby Itryatgolf » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:54 am

Ben knoll, who is supposed to be well respected in the weather community, says the euro and ukmet seasonal is harping on -nao for early half of winter. That is the August update. We don't have triple niñas very often so it's difficult to really know how they pan out.
0 likes   

Itryatgolf
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby Itryatgolf » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:58 am

Iceresistance wrote:Surprised that no one has done this yet, but I’ll start it now in August.

I’m personally thinking that there is a higher than normal risk of a very mild winter for the Southern Plains, despite the Farmers almanac saying a incredibly nasty winter is possible for the Central and parts of the Southern Plains.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Don't forget the old farmers almanac, which is even snowier lol
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby Iceresistance » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:44 pm

Itryatgolf wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:Surprised that no one has done this yet, but I’ll start it now in August.

Don't forget the old farmers almanac, which is even snowier lol

Oh goodness! It's either a huge verification or bust!

Itryatgolf wrote:Ben knoll, who is supposed to be well respected in the weather community, says the euro and ukmet seasonal is harping on -nao for early half of winter. That is the August update. We don't have triple niñas very often so it's difficult to really know how they pan out.

BenNollWeather (AKA, the CEO of Snow) also has this.

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1558845907327561730

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:42 am

Might be a front loaded winter. December and January look good for now.
3 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:53 am

The other almanac:
3 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:54 am

WPC is calling for snow in the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico in the next few days. :double:
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#11 Postby Ntxw » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:57 pm

La Nina winter climatology for most of Texas and Southern Plains - warmer than average and drier. That's the basics.

Flip side of the coin is not as simple. Many other factors at play. If you want a great winter then the tropics, mid latitudes, and arctic patterns need to align. 2/3 gets a pretty good winter. 1/3 is workable. As with the other seasons, whatever the commonality with the prior 2 Ninas likely gets extended. The trend is increasingly dry and warmth for the 3 year trends. The theme is similar, if we want a different outcome something has to change.

North America to date is running behind schedule with snow cover.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:18 pm

Ntxw wrote:La Nina winter climatology for most of Texas and Southern Plains - warmer than average and drier. That's the basics.

Flip side of the coin is not as simple. Many other factors at play. If you want a great winter then the tropics, mid latitudes, and arctic patterns need to align. 2/3 gets a pretty good winter. 1/3 is workable. As with the other seasons, whatever the commonality with the prior 2 Ninas likely gets extended. The trend is increasingly dry and warmth for the 3 year trends. The theme is similar, if we want a different outcome something has to change.

But with all of the troughing that the models have been showing in October for quite some time, this winter is anyone's guess because the Subtropics are way above average and could allow stronger storms in the area with a higher-than-normal risk of an extremely fierce bomb cyclone.

All it takes is one storm to change the snow cover average. And I've noticed that all of the brutal winters coincided with a very active Atlantic Hurricane Season.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#13 Postby Ntxw » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:08 am

Iceresistance wrote:
Ntxw wrote:La Nina winter climatology for most of Texas and Southern Plains - warmer than average and drier. That's the basics.

But with all of the troughing that the models have been showing in October for quite some time, this winter is anyone's guess because the Subtropics are way above average and could allow stronger storms in the area with a higher-than-normal risk of an extremely fierce bomb cyclone.

All it takes is one storm to change the snow cover average. And I've noticed that all of the brutal winters coincided with a very active Atlantic Hurricane Season.

Ensembles are showing extensive ridging across North America.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:36 am

Ntxw wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

Ensembles are showing extensive ridging across North America.

Yeah, the AO is going to be positive for some time. I don't expect any frost or freeze until maybe Late October into November.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:28 am

I'm late for the news, but the Polar Vortex has showed up, Severe Weather EU said the PV started to show itself in Mid-September
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:35 am

Mostly for the New England area, but something to consider for here.

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1576939628887773186

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:41 am

Maybe an even crazier winter compared to last year?

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1577746350451486721

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Itryatgolf
Category 1
Category 1

#18 Postby Itryatgolf » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:28 am

I believe after last December we got more of a poleward Aleutian ridge, which allowed for cold air east of the rockies. The east based niña helped alot imo. If we get more ridging over Alaska and western Canada, we will probably get really cold at times. 3 year niñas are tricky. Not too many analogs to go by. I do feel like February will be alot warmer than previous ones imo.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:32 am

Itryatgolf wrote:

I believe after last December we got more of a poleward Aleutian ridge, which allowed for cold air east of the rockies. The east based niña helped alot imo. If we get more ridging over Alaska and western Canada, we will probably get really cold at times. 3 year niñas are tricky. Not too many analogs to go by. I do feel like February will be alot warmer than previous ones imo.

I don't think that will be the case, February has been the new December/January in the past few winters.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:22 am

It's not much here, but Winter is coming! :double:

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1579456719431663616

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Return to “Winter Weather”