Texas Winter 2015-2016

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
texas1836
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#121 Postby texas1836 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:41 pm

:uarrow: I want 24". :lol:
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#122 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:47 pm

texas1836 wrote::uarrow: I want 24". :lol:

Maybe we can get a Christmas landfalling E Pac storm to pump some moisture into some Arctic air. or a stalled bowling ball.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#123 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:15 pm

gpsnowman wrote::uarrow: Delkus must have seen those maps and ran with it. If Pete says it will snow, it will snow!!!!

is the exact maps Delkus posted on his wx forecast the other night. :ggreen:
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: Texas Winter 2015-2016

#124 Postby wxman57 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:19 pm

I predict that neither Houston nor the D-FW area will have a white Christmas this year. As for snow in Jan/Feb, well, I wouldn't predict no snow then. The pattern should change by the end of December to one that would favor Deep South winter weather.
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:38 pm

wxman57 wrote:I predict that neither Houston nor the D-FW area will have a white Christmas this year. As for snow in Jan/Feb, well, I wouldn't predict no snow then. The pattern should change by the end of December to one that would favor Deep South winter weather.

:uarrow:
So, Austin should have a white Christmas then?
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:35 pm

wxman57 wrote:I predict that neither Houston nor the D-FW area will have a white Christmas this year. As for snow in Jan/Feb, well, I wouldn't predict no snow then. The pattern should change by the end of December to one that would favor Deep South winter weather.

We can wish for a surprise. though yea, Jan/Feb should be good months for snow lovers across the state.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#127 Postby Ntxw » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:From Fort Worth NWS. Notice the rainfall at Gainesville - the most ever recorded in North Texas.

Yup, 2015 (summer drought and all) has definitely been one for the books...and then some.

Take a good, hard, long look and remember this year. It's one for the ages in weather lore. It might be the only time in most of our lives that we get to see something like this.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/fxc/fwd/ ... _full7.jpg

Only 1957 comes close to the scope of rains that have fallen over Texas this year. Though 1957 was lackluster in the fall unlike 2015. The El Nino as of today came in with it's first official trimonthly of 2C. The next will be higher. It's official by all measures you can now call it the Super El Nino of 2015. We will look back some years from now when it's high and dry and understand how when the skies opened up, it poured and poured. So that we will remember, the desertification of Texas can't happen now or anytime in the near feature. Because El Nino's happen and are cyclical. It is a part of our climate and the Pacific is the great modulator that swings the pendulum back and forth in the biggest weather machine that effects Texas. They won't stop happening 50 years from now or 500 years.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:58 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:From Fort Worth NWS. Notice the rainfall at Gainesville - the most ever recorded in North Texas.

Yup, 2015 (summer drought and all) has definitely been one for the books...and then some.

Take a good, hard, long look and remember this year. It's one for the ages in weather lore. It might be the only time in most of our lives that we get to see something like this.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/fxc/fwd/ ... _full7.jpg

Only 1957 comes close to the scope of rains that have fallen over Texas this year. Though 1957 was lackluster in the fall unlike 2015. The El Nino as of today came in with it's first official trimonthly of 2C. The next will be higher. It's official by all measures you can now call it the Super El Nino of 2015. We will look back some years from now when it's high and dry and understand how when the skies opened up, it poured and poured. So that we will remember, the desertification of Texas can't happen now or anytime in the near feature. Because El Nino's happen and are cyclical. It is a part of our climate and the Pacific is the great modulator that swings the pendulum back and forth in the biggest weather machine that effects Texas. They won't stop happening 50 years from now or 500 years.

:uarrow:
Well done sir! I wish there were a "like" button on this. :)
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TarrantWx
Category 1
Category 1

#129 Postby TarrantWx » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:01 am

Well at least some ensemble members are finally taking the AO negative

0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#130 Postby Brent » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:39 am

GFS continues to show a change to colder weather after next weekend/mid month(after a slight warmup a little above average late next week) and at least one run today had some snow in N TX out in that timeframe.
0 likes   
#neversummer

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re: Re:

#131 Postby somethingfunny » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:19 am

Ralph's Weather wrote:
dhweather wrote:Someone told me that WFAA's Pete Delkus said something about the possibility of a White Christmas?

Slow down, that's 3 weeks out. :lol:

A cool down starting after mid month culminating in a winter storm a week to 10 days after sets up perfectly for a chance though small of a white Christmas for some. Twice in four years is probably too good to be true though.

We've already had two! :) 2009 and 2012...2015 would be right in schedule lol
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#132 Postby KatDaddy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:08 am

Changes ahead:

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0221 AM CST FRI DEC 04 2015

VALID 071200Z - 121200Z

...DISCUSSION...
MODEL CONSENSUS IS THAT A PROGRESSIVE...LOW-AMPLITUDE SYNOPTIC
REGIME WILL PREVAIL OVER THE U.S. MOST OF THE 4-8 PERIOD. MOISTURE
RETURN SHOULD REMAIN LIMITED THROUGH DAY 6 DUE TO OFFSHORE FLOW. A
MORE SUBSTANTIAL INFLUX OF MOISTURE AND POTENTIAL SEVERE THREAT
MIGHT EVOLVE FROM ERN TX INTO THE SERN STATES DAYS 7-8 IN RESPONSE
TO A DEVELOPING LEE CYCLONE ASSOCIATED WITH A SRN-STREAM SHORTWAVE
TROUGH. HOWEVER...MODELS ARE CURRENTLY NOT IN AGREEMENT REGARDING
THE TIMING AND AMPLITUDE OF THIS FEATURE...AND ENSEMBLE MEMBERS
BECOME INCREASINGLY DISPERSIVE BEYOND DAY 6.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#133 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:19 pm

It's 31 degrees and cloudy just after noon here, doesn't feel too bad as long as I keep my hands warm.

Edit: It actually just dropped to 30, it's supposed to be 40 degrees at 1 PM (in 40 minutes) I don't think we will make it to that at that time unless WAA arrives
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

WeatherNewbie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#134 Postby WeatherNewbie » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:52 pm

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying you would not predict snow in DFW through February?
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#135 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:03 pm

WeatherNewbie wrote:

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying you would not predict snow in DFW through February?

I am not Wxman 57, but I think he was saying snow could be on the table for January and February.
0 likes   

WeatherNewbie
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#136 Postby WeatherNewbie » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
WeatherNewbie wrote:

I am not Wxman 57, but I think he was saying snow could be on the table for January and February.

:double: For some reason, I did not see the "no" before the words "snow then" when I read it the first time.
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:17 pm

If you look at the Euro in the 10 day range, the High pressure that Ntx claims im responsible for ( :) )If you notice, it weakens juuuuuust a tad and IMMEDIATELY we can start to see Ntx's beloved -EPO start to rear its head. Just an observation i made with the latest Euro run.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TarrantWx
Category 1
Category 1

#138 Postby TarrantWx » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:47 pm

Even more ensemble members today are taking the AO negative, although there's still quite a spread. Also, the PNA and NAO are looking to fall to near neutral levels. Hopefully the last half of the month will get interesting. Teleconnections are starting to move in our favor a little bit.

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#139 Postby Ntxw » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:40 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:If you look at the Euro in the 10 day range, the High pressure that Ntx claims im responsible for ( :) )If you notice, it weakens juuuuuust a tad and IMMEDIATELY we can start to see Ntx's beloved -EPO start to rear its head. Just an observation i made with the latest Euro run.

Maybe your ridge is the mother ship for the -EPO ridges? Maybe your ridge didn't weaken, it just transferred itself further north in to the EPO! :lol:

A low east of Hawaii (where your ridge is) usually means warmth in winter for us. So with ridging there you'd expect adverse effects so your theory does have merit.

The AO I don't think will rush negative anytime soon but it is taking hits, so eventually we my win in that department. PNA going back neutral-negative so that definitely spells active weather for us. The guidance is tilting more towards neutral to -EPO in the second half of December. CPC already highlighting the shift of warmth to along the northeast and colder anomalies bleeding from the west. We are not going to suffer the same fate as the Great Lakes or northeast, they are likely the most at risk for a torchy winter.

I mean this El Nino is in the likes of 1877-1982-1997 and if those composites don't scare them I don't know what does. That is if they enjoy cold.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#140 Postby TheProfessor » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:17 am

Don't think it got above 32 today, if it did it was between NWS Reports. The Culprit was likely the clouds that stayed much longer than forecasted as folks west and north of me had much warmer temps. It was supposed to be 43 today.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Return to “Winter Weather”