Texas Winter 2014-2015

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2014-2015

#2281 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Ntxwx wrote:
Ralph's Weather wrote:
Ntxwx wrote:Why is the WPC showing such a high chance of freezing rain for dfw tonight? http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_a ... babilities

The first map accounts for what fell this morning.

Are you sure? latest brand new update WPC says 00z january 2nd (now) - 00z january 3rd (tomorrow night)
It has 0% chance for Dallas, 70% for Fort Worth & 90% for Denton... http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_a ... babilities

You are correct. I guess temps may fall just enough west of FW.
0 likes   

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#2282 Postby SouthernMet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:44 pm

:uarrow: Yup & WPC + short range models showing very significant icing potential for the Abilene/Sweetwater area tonight in addition to what's already fallen.

Btw only made it up to a balmy 33 in NRH today, though I think temps will hold steady with waa & maybe even rise a degree or so, but I'll be watching closely tonight.
0 likes   
Nothing that SouthernMet posts, is an official forecast,nor does it reflect views of STORM2K.. SouthernMet is just adding to the great discussions on STORM2K.. Refer to NWS for official forecasts.

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#2283 Postby SouthernMet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Still 33 in NRH, 32 in Mineral Wells, Decatur, Azle & Weatherford.. Crazy how we are just a few degrees away from a major event.

Meanwhile models are setting the stage for a dangerous ice storm out in West & West central tx from tonight through friday night.
0 likes   
Nothing that SouthernMet posts, is an official forecast,nor does it reflect views of STORM2K.. SouthernMet is just adding to the great discussions on STORM2K.. Refer to NWS for official forecasts.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2284 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:14 pm

Looks like we are in store for an ice or winter mix event in my area. The bad iced just barely missed us earlier.
0 likes   
#neversummer

GRAYSONCO.WX
Category 1
Category 1

#2285 Postby GRAYSONCO.WX » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:23 pm

SouthernMet wrote:Still 33 in NRH, 32 in Mineral Wells, Decatur, Azle & Weatherford.. Crazy how we are just a few degrees away from a major event.

Meanwhile models are setting the stage for a dangerous ice storm out in West & West central tx from tonight through friday night.

Yes, looks like some pretty moderate/heavy freezing rain (and even sleet--looking at soundings) amounts for that area tomorrow! I wonder how close the wintry precipitation will get to I-35 tomorrow evening? Guidance seems to be trending further east with each run.
0 likes   

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#2286 Postby SouthernMet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:27 pm

:uarrow: Im definitely going to watch it, but I don't anticipate any surprises atm east of Mineral Wells.

Could be some decent convection looking at trends. Gonna be interesting with the low moving closer & either way, heavy precip with 33 degrees is NOT fun.
0 likes   

GRAYSONCO.WX
Category 1
Category 1

#2287 Postby GRAYSONCO.WX » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:31 pm

SouthernMet wrote::uarrow: Im definitely going to watch it, but I don't anticipate any surprises atm east of Mineral Wells.

Could be some decent convection looking at trends. Gonna be interesting with the low moving closer & either way, heavy precip with 33 degrees is NOT fun.

Yes, not fun at all! :D
0 likes   

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#2288 Postby SouthernMet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Way too quiet on here!!

Meanwhile temps have risen just enough for this band that's moving through to cause no impacts east of a Stephenville-Decatur line.
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2289 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:02 pm

If you didn't see any freezing precip this go around don't worry, January looks to be locked and loaded for plenty of winter fun and surprises. The forecast for NTX over the next 10 days looks to keep highs only in the mid to lower 40's.
0 likes   

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#2290 Postby SouthernMet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:28 pm

Reports of significant icing in Eastland County.
0 likes   

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#2291 Postby SouthernMet » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:46 pm

CMC/RGEM trended alot colder for saturday morning.
0 likes   

GRAYSONCO.WX
Category 1
Category 1

#2292 Postby GRAYSONCO.WX » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:51 pm

SouthernMet wrote:CMC/RGEM trended alot colder for saturday morning.

;)
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2293 Postby orangeblood » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:58 pm

aggiecutter wrote:
Portastorm wrote:Well, let's be clear about one thing ... while those of us along the I-35 corridor didnt see much, if any, wintry precip ... our friends in San Angelo, Midland/Odessa, and Lubbock are encased in ice right now. So they did see a mess materialize. This event was not a bust IMO. In fact, the GFS did pretty darn good and was fairly consistent while King Euro had a few nutty cycles.

What did we learn from this event? I know we can no longer assume a 1050+ mb high coming into Montana will automatically mean sub freezing temps for a large portion of Texas. Even wxman57 felt like the models were too warm ... and he's a very good pro met whose been watching weather in these parts for many years.

Bottom line to me is that our weather never ceases to amaze us and surprise us. We can all learn from this event. I know I'll be asking some of my met friends offline what happened and why. And here's a shout out to you skeptics ... keep your skepticism! You were right to be skeptical and you may end up keeping some of us excitable types more grounded. :wink:

1. This was the first major arctic front in the plains since mid-November 2. We just came off a near record warm December for the contiguous 48. 3. Not much snow cover combined with 1 and 2 led to modification of the air mass. 3. The air mass wasn't unusually cold to start with.

Somewhat skeptical of the above reasons...this airmass had majority of the ingredients needed 1) Siberian Origin of below normal air 2) Huge HP 3) Upper Air Pattern to deliver 4) Plenty of Snow Cover from the Arctic Circle down to Kansas 5) Coldest 30 day period climatologically of the year 6) The air mass was record breaking for some - ended up breaking Denver's 120 year record on December 30th for lowest high max of 1 deg F and low min of -19 deg F....IMO, the combination of the Ozark Shadow (lower level winds/orientation of the HP) and strong southwest flow aloft (too strong to keep the HP sustained) kept the airmass from packing the punch we should expect in North and Northeast Texas. Those out in West Texas are probably taking this airmass pretty seriously!
0 likes   

WacoWx
Category 2
Category 2

Texas Winter 2014-2015

#2294 Postby WacoWx » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:20 am

I'm leaving Ruidoso early Saturday morning 1/3. When I go through Lubbock to watch Texas beat Texas Tech in bball, how much trouble am I going to have? Tia
0 likes   

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#2295 Postby SouthernMet » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:23 am

WacoWx wrote:I'm leaving Ruidoso early Saturday morning 1/3. When I go through Lubbock to watch Texas beat Texas Tech in bball, how much trouble am I going to have? Tia

Lubbock NWS says .25" of ice + 2-4" of snow with locally higher amounts.
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2296 Postby gpsnowman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:54 am

Not sure if I can post this, but Ryan Muae posted a map showing a 1050 HP centered over Nebrasksa on January 8. Arctic hammer? :double: :froze:
0 likes   

Tammie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2297 Postby Tammie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:07 am

WacoWx wrote:I'm leaving Ruidoso early Saturday morning 1/3. When I go through Lubbock to watch Texas beat Texas Tech in bball, how much trouble am I going to have? Tia

Lubbock now predicting a major ice storm with 1 inch of ice followed by 4-6 inches of snow. Daughter-in-law lives in Lubbock. Roads are already treacherous, and they will only get worse. Hubby is an air traffic controller at the Lubbock airport. Only one flight lane open right now, and the airport will likely shut down all flights once ice storm starts.
0 likes   
Tammie - Sherman TX

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2298 Postby srainhoutx » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:53 am

US 380 across NM can get a bit icy after days of wintry weather into Roswell. The roads are usually cleared fairly well by NM DOT on up into Ruidoso. Have a safe trip. Ski Apache should do well with this southern tracking 700mb low.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#2299 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:18 am

orangeblood wrote:
aggiecutter wrote:
Portastorm wrote:Well, let's be clear about one thing ... while those of us along the I-35 corridor didnt see much, if any, wintry precip ... our friends in San Angelo, Midland/Odessa, and Lubbock are encased in ice right now. So they did see a mess materialize. This event was not a bust IMO. In fact, the GFS did pretty darn good and was fairly consistent while King Euro had a few nutty cycles.

What did we learn from this event? I know we can no longer assume a 1050+ mb high coming into Montana will automatically mean sub freezing temps for a large portion of Texas. Even wxman57 felt like the models were too warm ... and he's a very good pro met whose been watching weather in these parts for many years.

Bottom line to me is that our weather never ceases to amaze us and surprise us. We can all learn from this event. I know I'll be asking some of my met friends offline what happened and why. And here's a shout out to you skeptics ... keep your skepticism! You were right to be skeptical and you may end up keeping some of us excitable types more grounded. :wink:

1. This was the first major arctic front in the plains since mid-November 2. We just came off a near record warm December for the contiguous 48. 3. Not much snow cover combined with 1 and 2 led to modification of the air mass. 3. The air mass wasn't unusually cold to start with.

Somewhat skeptical of the above reasons...this airmass had majority of the ingredients needed 1) Siberian Origin of below normal air 2) Huge HP 3) Upper Air Pattern to deliver 4) Plenty of Snow Cover from the Arctic Circle down to Kansas 5) Coldest 30 day period climatologically of the year 6) The air mass was record breaking for some - ended up breaking Denver's 120 year record on December 30th for lowest high max of 1 deg F and low min of -19 deg F....IMO, the combination of the Ozark Shadow (lower level winds/orientation of the HP) and strong southwest flow aloft (too strong to keep the HP sustained) kept the airmass from packing the punch we should expect in North and Northeast Texas. Those out in West Texas are probably taking this airmass pretty seriously!
Orangeblood hit that nail square on the head!! The extra cold airr has been and still is dammed up against the mountains in W TX. I think the NE winds at lower levels and SW aloft is what did us in anywhere East of I35 when it comes to Winter precip. We're almost into the 50s in Houston for the first time in 3 or 4 days.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

ATCcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2300 Postby ATCcane » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:44 am

To add to the above, west of I35 and north of I10 it's still quite cold. I'm sitting here on the northwest side of austin at 39 and we haven't been out of the 30s on my weather station for quite a while. You don't have to go very far west of here to get into the mid and lower 30s and in west Texas and eastern New Mexico it's still in the 20s.

The next couple weeks are still looking chilly on he last few model runs. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”