Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#9501 Postby Houstonia » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:31 pm

downsouthman1 wrote:
orangeblood wrote:EWX has to be a little concerned with the lack of precip depicted on the latest GFS and short range RAP models....it appears like they're going with the NAM output and that should give pause to most everyone on this board. Don't shoot the messenger, just speaking from experience

Keep in mind that there is a lower Warning criteria threshold in EWX & HGX CWAs versus FWD. That's specifically stated in the AFD by FWD.

Edit: Quote: "IT IS IMPORTANT TO CONSIDER THE RARITY OF SUCH WINTRY
PRECIPITATION IN THESE AREAS (THIS WINTER NOTWITHSTANDING) AND THE
LESSER WARNING CRITERIA IMMEDIATELY ADJACENT TO OUR CWA (EWX/HGX)."

Can you explain why this should give pause? I'm getting confused with terminology, etc.

thanks!
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9502 Postby orangeblood » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:33 pm

downsouthman1 wrote:
orangeblood wrote:EWX has to be a little concerned with the lack of precip depicted on the latest GFS and short range RAP models....it appears like they're going with the NAM output and that should give pause to most everyone on this board. Don't shoot the messenger, just speaking from experience

Keep in mind that there is a lower Warning criteria threshold in EWX & HGX CWAs versus FWD. That's specifically stated in the AFD by FWD.

LESSER WARNING CRITERIA IMMEDIATELY ADJACENT TO OUR CWA (EWX/HGX).``

I realize that but latest GFS for Austin has 0.02 inch qpf and even less north and west of I-35...qpf seems very borderline for winter storm warnings in Austin Metro IMO
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9503 Postby srainhoutx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:38 pm

orangeblood wrote:
downsouthman1 wrote:

I realize that but latest GFS for Austin has 0.02 inch qpf and even less north and west of I-35...qpf seems very borderline for winter storm warnings in Austin Metro IMO

Yet the 18Z 4km HIRES NAM suggests some areas may approach an inch with the convective nature of elevated storms across the I-35 Corridor and SE TX.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#9504 Postby HouTXmetro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Cold Air advection must be taking place. My temps continue to fall under the sun... slowly but surely. 41 now from 45 just over an hour ago when there was no sun.
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#9505 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:45 pm

My temp is falling a bit too. Down to 41F. With the wind dead out of the north, its coming from a cold NE Texas right now.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9506 Postby orangeblood » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:52 pm

srainhoutx wrote:
Yet the 18Z 4km HIRES NAM suggests some areas may approach an inch with the convective nature of elevated storms across the I-35 Corridor and SE TX.

Just pointing out the fact that actual QPF for most in North Texas yesterday was only 20-25% of what the HIRES NAM was modeling. With temps borderline and qpf questionable, It's something that everyone should probably be aware of when forecasting or monitoring this subsequent event
0 likes   

Snowman67
Category 2
Category 2

#9507 Postby Snowman67 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Down to 35.8F. I think there is a good chance that we (I'm just south of the Montgomery County line in Tomball) will be below freezing later tonight/tomorrow morning when the precip is scheduled.
0 likes   
Any forecast I make is based on my opinion only. Please refer to the NWS or NHC for official forecasts.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#9508 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Snowman67 wrote:Down to 35.8F. I think there is a good chance that we (I'm just south of the Montgomery County line in Tomball) will be below freezing later tonight/tomorrow morning when the precip is scheduled.

Def. Wow, def some cold air advection coming in. Sun is still out too. Mine is dropping slowly. Is your dewpoint dropping?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9509 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:11 pm

orangeblood wrote:
downsouthman1 wrote:

Understood but one needs to put it in perspective. The GFS has been ramping up qpf values for AUS since yesterday's 18z run. Is today's 18z run an anomaly because it goes in the opposite direction? I mean, taking it from .36" on the 12z run to .02" is a bit much, don't you think? I'm not taking that too serious at this point. That's too dramatic of a change in just a six-hour cycle.

After everything I've seen this winter season I wouldn't rule out lesser qpf falling ... but that 18z GFS run is clearly an outlier at the moment.

orangeblood, I would add that the NWS Winter Weather Desk in its forecast issued earlier this afternoon showed the precip shield being further north than the Euro/SREF showed but a bit further south than NAM. No doubt that a further south moisture plume would impact qpf values in Austin. And yes, I have seen the latest HRRR-RAP (20z) which supports that contention. So I'm not going to shoot the messenger :wink: but at this time, I'm not worried about the 18z GFS. If radar, real-time events support what the Euro/18z GFS suggest, then we can start to question whether or not Winter Storm Warning weather will actually impact the AUS metro area.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

longhornweather
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9510 Postby longhornweather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Strange day. Sun is shining this evening and it sure doesn't feel like a winter storm is on the way. Schools in the Austin metro area are going to have some interesting decisions to make tonight if the warning remains in effect.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9511 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Elevated convection is already beginning to develop across south central Texas west of SA. I think it's developing several hours before the models forecasted.
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#9512 Postby HouTXmetro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Down to 37 in North Houston/Humble area. Temps continue ahead of schedule.
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#9513 Postby KatDaddy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:58 pm

39F in League City.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#9514 Postby davidiowx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:16 pm

38 here at my place with a dew point of 26. It was 41 about an hour ago. This is going to be quite an interesting night.
0 likes   

wxman22
Category 3
Category 3

#9515 Postby wxman22 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Its already 34 at Bush which is WAY ahead of schedule...
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9516 Postby BigB0882 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:25 pm

According to my car it is also 37 in BTR. That seems way ahead of schedule since our low is supposed to be 32.
Edit: it is 36 and it should be 39 at 7:00 so we are a good 3 degrees cooler. This may mean lower temps when we bottom out which may mean it will take longer to get above freezing and could see some freezing rain for a brief period.
Last edited by BigB0882 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#9517 Postby davidiowx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Things are already getting interesting... Good thing I got some sleep this weekend lol. I def won't be getting any tonight.
0 likes   

Snowman67
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Re:

#9518 Postby Snowman67 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:36 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Snowman67 wrote:Down to 35.8F. I think there is a good chance that we (I'm just south of the Montgomery County line in Tomball) will be below freezing later tonight/tomorrow morning when the precip is scheduled.

Def. Wow, def some cold air advection coming in. Sun is still out too. Mine is dropping slowly. Is your dewpoint dropping?

Yes dew point had been dropping slowly last time I checked.
0 likes   
Any forecast I make is based on my opinion only. Please refer to the NWS or NHC for official forecasts.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#9519 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:49 pm

davidiowx wrote:38 here at my place with a dew point of 26. It was 41 about an hour ago. This is going to be quite an interesting night.

I can vouche for those readings. I went running, it was 41. 38.3F now and dropping. Tomorrow morning could be a mess
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#9520 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:51 pm

The shortwave isnt really that close yet either. Geez. I expect this to be an entertaining night.

Again this is MARCH.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”