Texas Winter 2013-2014

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Snowman67
Category 2
Category 2

#9521 Postby Snowman67 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:56 pm

Question: Will the air temperature fall when the precipitation starts due to evaporative cooling, or will the warmer air aloft create latent heat and cause the temperature to remain steady or even increase? I think this depends on the dew point, but not sure. Thanks in advance for answering.
0 likes   
Any forecast I make is based on my opinion only. Please refer to the NWS or NHC for official forecasts.

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#9522 Postby BigB0882 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Snowman67 wrote:Question: Will the air temperature fall when the precipitation starts due to evaporative cooling, or will the warmer air aloft create latent heat and cause the temperature to remain steady or even increase? I think this depends on the dew point, but not sure. Thanks in advance for answering.

I think you are right about dew points. If dew points are much below surface temps then the air temp should fall as precip falls. However, it dew points are too close to freezing then it could result in warming. I have no idea if I am right, though. I just know that lower dew points mean falling temps with precip.
0 likes   

Snowman67
Category 2
Category 2

#9523 Postby Snowman67 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:02 pm

32F now with a dew point of 25
0 likes   
Any forecast I make is based on my opinion only. Please refer to the NWS or NHC for official forecasts.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#9524 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Its possible that temps will rise a bit if the precip is heavy enough. I remember during the epic ice event in Dec that the temp rose sometimes when the heavy precip moved in. 850 temps are very high like 45-50 and 925 temps are a few degrees below freezing.

Initially temps will fall and meet the dewpoint temp.

37 now here in SL. Looks like we are in for it fellas.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9525 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Here we go. Buckle up folks. This could be a bumpy ride.
0 likes   

longhornweather
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9526 Postby longhornweather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:07 pm

35F with dew point at 19 here. Temp dropping shouldn't be a problem if we get the precip. Now I have to wait and see if the precip materializes in my area.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9527 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:12 pm

Good luck to the Texas triangle of Austin-San Antonio-Houston. I hope everyone sees some winter programming. As always stay safe.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#9528 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:13 pm

longhornweather wrote:35F with dew point at 19 here. Temp dropping shouldn't be a problem if we get the precip. Now I have to wait and see if the precip materializes in my area.

You will litterally fall below freezing immediatley with rain then maybe move to sleet.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

longhornweather
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Re:

#9529 Postby longhornweather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:15 pm

You will litterally fall below freezing immediatley with rain then maybe move to sleet.[/quote]

Could make for a very interesting night...
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9530 Postby Ntxw » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:18 pm

It's too cold. Need warm days for pleasant jogging. Need those 100F from March of 1911 and 1916.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#9531 Postby davidiowx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:20 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Its possible that temps will rise a bit if the precip is heavy enough. I remember during the epic ice event in Dec that the temp rose sometimes when the heavy precip moved in. 850 temps are very high like 45-50 and 925 temps are a few degrees below freezing.

Initially temps will fall and meet the dewpoint temp.

37 now here in SL. Looks like we are in for it fellas.

Hehe I certainly hope so. I have a good feeling about this one. I didn't have this feeling about the previous events this winter, but this one seems to be the one we might actually get some pretty significant winter precip. :ggreen:

Radar is really starting to light up out west.

Last edited by davidiowx on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

TexasF6
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2013-2014

#9532 Postby TexasF6 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:21 pm

Porta, what are your thoughts on our event as convection builds up to our west tonight? I read the clouds before sunset? They said Thunderstorms tonite! The good old Troy Kimmel "Aggie Cloud Reading Trick!" :D
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9533 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Wow ... things are ramping up quickly. Have seen several cloud-to-ground lightning strikes here in SW Austin in the last 15 minutes. Temperature is 38.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9534 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:25 pm

TexasF6 wrote:Porta, what are your thoughts on our event as convection builds up to our west tonight? I read the clouds before sunset? They said Thunderstorms tonite! The good old Troy Kimmel "Aggie Cloud Reading Trick!" :D

I saw those as well driving home. Amazing how quickly the skies filled late today and convection is popping up. Key now will be how quickly do we drop to 32 and below. The warm-up today took us into the mid 40s. But once precip starts falling it should provide that adiabatic cooling effect with the dewpoints in the low to mid 20s.

As I thought the weather is not behaving as any models have shown it to ... even the short-range models. Convection ramped up quicker than thought. The system coming must be really dynamic.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

ndale
Category 1
Category 1

#9535 Postby ndale » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Portastorm wrote:Wow ... things are ramping up quickly. Have seen several cloud-to-ground lightning strikes here in SW Austin in the last 15 minutes. Temperature is 38.

Haven't seen in lightning from here yet, just some approaching clouds and sliver of moon. But temp is down to 36.
0 likes   
Any opinions stated are those of an amateur, please take with several grains of salt and for official forecast refer to the National Weather Service.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#9536 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:30 pm

A quick shower just came through here, temp is now 35F DP 27.9F. Really hard shower for a few minutes
0 likes   

longhornweather
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9537 Postby longhornweather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Porta, do you think this will fill in a bit further north or will it stay stay primarily south of me and move east? Temps here should easily be low enough to support some frozen stuff.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#9538 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:34 pm

longhornweather wrote:Porta, do you think this will fill in a bit further north or will it stay stay primarily south of me and move east? Temps here should easily be low enough to support some frozen stuff.

The cell coming through Travis County now probably won't impact you ... but take a look at this radar loop below. Check out what's in Burnet County and starting to pop up west of there.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=EWX-N0Q-1-12
0 likes   

WeatherDuck
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Re:

#9539 Postby WeatherDuck » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Portastorm wrote:
longhornweather wrote:Porta, do you think this will fill in a bit further north or will it stay stay primarily south of me and move east? Temps here should easily be low enough to support some frozen stuff.

The cell coming through Travis County now probably won't impact you ... but take a look at this radar loop below. Check out what's in Burnet County and starting to pop up west of there.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=EWX-N0Q-1-12

Yeah, it's starting to fill in out by Boerne and Kerrville and is headed northeast.
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#9540 Postby ravyrn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:44 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Again this is MARCH.

This is March? Pfftt. More like
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”