Deep South Winterwx Discussion 2015-2016

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
SeGaBob

Re: Deep South Winterwx Discussion 2015-2016

#5821 Postby SeGaBob » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:18 pm

I'm hearing the EURO has been showing a winter storm for most of the Southeast next week... Can anyone confirm this?
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5822 Postby LarryWx » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:39 pm

SeGaBob wrote:I'm hearing the EURO has been showing a winter storm for most of the Southeast next week... Can anyone confirm this?

Bob,
Well, the 12Z Euro shows a major SE winter storm for 2/15 fwiw. The 0Z didn't have it and neither did the latest GFS. Also, that is 7 days out. So, take this verbatim solution with a grain of salt. But I am expecting something big for much of the SE US before winter's over, including Hammy's abode. Even you may get in on something before winter's over. We'll see.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5823 Postby Brent » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:21 am

The 0z is nothing like the 12z Euro not surprisingly... the snow is confined to the usual mountain locations pretty much

and all the other 0z globals were no gos as well
0 likes   
#neversummer

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5824 Postby LarryWx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:35 am

Folks,
Don't let your guard down regarding toward the end of the month and into the beginning of March. Models have for several days consistently showing a very high amplitude upper ridge getting established over W Canada with the transition starting 2/19 and strengthening through 2/24 with ridging remaining at least til the end of model runs ~2/25. No early spring it would appear and fairly typical of strong El Nino.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#5825 Postby LarryWx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:36 pm

Brent wrote:The 0z is nothing like the 12z Euro not surprisingly... the snow is confined to the usual mountain locations pretty much

and all the other 0z globals were no gos as well

Today's 12Z Euro suggests that 2/15 still needs to be watched. Verbatim, it gives as far south as far N GA/AL major snows and it gives some areas further south sig ZR. Let's see how runs going forward do.
0 likes   

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5826 Postby Frank P » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:22 pm

This is what the tide looked like along the Mississippi Gulf Coast on this chilly Mardi Gras day... winds have been pretty brisk out of the n to nw the past 36 hours as most of you are well aware, and when that happens our tides along the coast are blown out pretty far.. that's at least a couple hundred feet of low tide being exposed.. photo from Biloxi off my front porch..

0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#5827 Postby Hammy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:09 pm

We got quite a bit of snow today, several squalls with wind blew through between 11am and 5pm--I dare say we got more than last time, but hard to tell since it didn't really stuck much. I went to the top of two parking garages, one fourth level and completely open, another with large open segments at sixth level (the latter with no trees even) and the windchill was bitter, around 18 degrees. Made the mistake of not taking gloves with me to compound it (though my legs were fine despite only having shorts on.)
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5828 Postby MGC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:33 pm

Yea Frank, been some serious low tides the past couple of days. Looks like you could walk out a mile. Much nicer to look at than a 28 foot tide from back in 2005......MGC
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#5829 Postby Hammy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:57 am

Disappointment returning as the models seem to back off in the last few days prior anytime a major snow event is shown. They're forecasting mainly freezing rain now. Given the warmup coming for the next few weeks I think the chance of any snow accumulation (or any further winter weather for Georgia from Athens south) is over after early next week.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Winter Weather”