Tips To Prepare For Long Duration Freezing Weather Events

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Tips To Prepare For Long Duration Freezing Weather Events

#1 Postby srainhoutx » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:35 pm

Thought I would start a Topic that we can discuss tip to prepare property, pipes, plants etc... for the Very Hard Freezing Event forecast for much of the Southern Plains, Deep South and Florida.
Last edited by srainhoutx on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#2 Postby JonathanBelles » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Yea, Local met just said it has been the "Coldest stretch in the last quarter century" --Local BN9 Met
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#3 Postby RL3AO » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Wear a coat.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Tips To Prepare For Long Duration Freezing Weather Events

#4 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:49 pm

This is an important topic so I put the thread with a sticky for the next few days.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby srainhoutx » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:56 pm

I see folks have asked about washing machines that are out doors. You can add a quart of antifreeze and set it on the spin cycle and with the water already in the pump, it should protect it. Of course you may want to contact an appliance company for some further details and questions regarding any damage that could occur to your appliance. Alos those with swimming pools should leave the pool pumps running dring the duration of the event as to not freeze the pumps, filtration system etc...
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Wx Infinity Forums

Twitter @WeatherInfinity

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby srainhoutx » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:04 pm

Turn off lawn irrigation systems as soon as possible. These cause major problems if left on and will cause ice to form on sidewalks and roadways. These systems are a major cause of loss of water pressure as lines freeze and leak for city water systems as well as fire fighting needs.
0 likes   

Wx Infinity Forums

Twitter @WeatherInfinity

attallaman

#7 Postby attallaman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:21 pm

srainhoutx wrote:I see folks have asked about washing machines that are out doors. You can add a quart of antifreeze and set it on the spin cycle and with the water already in the pump, it should protect it. Of course you may want to contact an appliance company for some further details and questions regarding any damage that could occur to your appliance. Alos those with swimming pools should leave the pool pumps running dring the duration of the event as to not freeze the pumps, filtration system etc...
I went to Lowe's today and bought some foam wrap to cover both water lines connected to my washer, plan to also hook up a trouble light with about a 60 to 75 watt bulb and hang that on the back of the washer shining light on the faucets which I also plan to cover and hope that works. I did it several years ago and it worked so hopefully it'll work again. Good idea to start this thread because I'm sure there are others who like myself don't have much experience in winterizing a house when having to deal with such cold temperatures here in the deep south.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby Stephanie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Detach all outside hoses from the spigots to prevent freezing of the pipes.

I would also buy foam insulation for your sink pipes that face the outside wall to prevent them from freezing.

Close all blinds, shades and drapes at night to help insulate the house. We do open ours doing the day to let the sun shine in.

If you do happen to have detachable storm windows (that replace the screen windows), switch them out now.
0 likes   

WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Not a bad idea to check your clothing dryer's outflow vent to ensure it's open to allow heat egress. Snow and ice blockage, as well as excess lint accumulation, is a fire hazard. And what about checking your battery powered fire, C02 alarms while you're at it?

How about your prescriptions? Most prescription plans allow for a one month extra bottle during severe weather, travel, family emergency or the like.

It's cold here near Reagan National Airport, 25 feeling like 14 F with the wind, though the arctic blasts shaking the house are less frequent.

Good luck everyone.
WLD
0 likes   

Texas2Florida
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#10 Postby Texas2Florida » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:04 pm

If all of my water lines for sinks, washer etc are on inside walls, do i need to take any additional precautions?
0 likes   
Real women wear firesuits! --self proclaimed NASCAR princess.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#11 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Don't forget to use foam pipe wrap for the pipes in the attic, especially on any that are close to outside walls or not already covered by insuslation.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Texas2Florida
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#12 Postby Texas2Florida » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:35 pm

I dont think I have any pipes in the attic, it's an old house without much insulation in the attic..its actually a rent house I own, someone lives in it. There are those foam thingys on the 2 outside hose spigots, those are the only exposed pipes besides underneath the sinks.
0 likes   
Real women wear firesuits! --self proclaimed NASCAR princess.

attallaman

#13 Postby attallaman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:36 pm

vbhoutex wrote:Don't forget to use foam pipe wrap for the pipes in the attic, especially on any that are close to outside walls or not already covered by insuslation.
I'm glad I don't have to deal with any pipes in the attic but that's a good point because some of the newer homes here have their water heaters installed in the attic. I'll keep mine in the utility room on ground level.
0 likes   

goCoogs
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#14 Postby goCoogs » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks for starting this topic. I'm in my 1st house. My wife and I bought it in April. Tomorrow I'll go in the attic and make sure all the pipes are well insulated. The hot water heater is up there so I know I have pipes up there.
0 likes   

WeatherLovingDoc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby WeatherLovingDoc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:47 am

Texas2Florida wrote:If all of my water lines for sinks, washer etc are on inside walls, do i need to take any additional precautions?

If those indoor pipes are set inside a closet or other closed area and near an outside wall, you might want to insulate them. For a double stacker washer/dryer, for example, you may need to pull the machine out to check on the water pipes.

One winter I opened my back door to water pouring out from my washer/dryer closet due to a burst water pipe. I scampered around down in the basement, looking for a RED-PAINTED MAIN HOUSE WATER TURN OFF VALVE (which I luckily found), but still the water was substantial. We ended up better insulating the pipes etc...So it can happen (must have been in the upper 20's then).
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re:

#16 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:58 am

RL3AO wrote:Wear a coat.

:roll:

Maybe two coats and some PJs under your jeans too. And cover your head for goodness sakes!
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#17 Postby Dionne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:25 pm

This is also a good time to put some dry gas in your vehicles gas tank and do a fill up.
0 likes   

Dave
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#18 Postby Dave » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:59 pm

If your power goes out and you are using alternative heat source such as a kerosene space heater, fireplace and/or wood stove make sure to use fire safeguards and ventilate properly.
0 likes   

Dionne
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: SW Mississippi....Alaska transplant via a Southern Belle.

#19 Postby Dionne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:17 pm

GOES Eastern sure looks like the really cold air will arrive ahead of schedule. Some of the old timers around here that never look at puter images think similar. Be prepared early. All sorts of strange things happen to infrastructures when the system experiences unusual cold. Act like it's a CAT 3 from the north without the wind and water.....just the cold.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby MGC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 am

Being without water after a freeze is just as bad as not having A/C after a hurricane. I had pipes freeze in 1985....it sucked.....MGC
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”