Winter 2010-11 for the Southern Plains

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Winter 2010-11 for the Southern Plains

#1 Postby Portastorm » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:09 pm

It's July 11th. The tropics are quiet for the moment. The severe storm action at least in Texas has quieted down. So, what better time to start looking at next winter for the Southern Plains than right now!

La Nina looks to be establishing itself and there is some speculation we could be in for a strong Nina this coming winter. That usually means lots of frowns in this forum. :lol: It appears the CFS forecast right now is heading in that direction. Basically very dry and very warm (seasonally that is) for the Southern Plains. Graphics below. Let's discuss!

TEMPERATURE

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PRECIPITATION

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re: Winter 2010-11 for the Southern Plains

#2 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:25 pm

I'll be interested to see if the early temp and precip progs pan out. What I see on the temps for the rest of summer doesn't make sense to me unless something strange happens considering there is the probability of another strong heat ridge across much of the South coming up. The precip maps make more sense, but indicate very little in the way of apparent tropical moisture during the season in the Gulf regions which find strange also.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3 Postby Ntxw » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:20 pm

La nina! Personal hunch but I don't think it will be as cold\snowy as last winter for the southern plains. Probably an event or two north of I-20. Though I do believe the cool trend will continue since cold winters usually come in cycles and the sun hasn't exactly been active this year either. I think best places for snow this year in Texas would be closer to the New Mexico border. Many are thinking an east based la nina which could be a good thing for us :wink:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4 Postby Portastorm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:49 pm

Not sure about an east-based Nina ... what I have been reading (mostly over on the Eastern forum) is a +AO, +QBO, moderate to strong Nina with the likelihood of a strong persistent SE ridge, making the storm track through the Colorado/Texas panhandle area up into the western Great Lakes.

My recollection of AUS weather during those types of winters are mild with a lot of drizzle and fog days.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#5 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm already looking forward to my mid-80s January burner coming up. Amarillo's only a six hour drive away if I want to see snow. :wink:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6 Postby Ntxw » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Portastorm wrote:Not sure about an east-based Nina ... what I have been reading (mostly over on the Eastern forum) is a +AO, +QBO, moderate to strong Nina with the likelihood of a strong persistent SE ridge, making the storm track through the Colorado/Texas panhandle area up into the western Great Lakes.

My recollection of AUS weather during those types of winters are mild with a lot of drizzle and fog days.

Not sure if it will stay that way, but take a look at the colder origins off the S. American coast. East-based atm. Though I'm no expert on this, just pointing out what I see.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_update/sstanim.shtml
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7 Postby Portastorm » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:42 am

Ntxw wrote:
Portastorm wrote:Not sure about an east-based Nina ... what I have been reading (mostly over on the Eastern forum) is a +AO, +QBO, moderate to strong Nina with the likelihood of a strong persistent SE ridge, making the storm track through the Colorado/Texas panhandle area up into the western Great Lakes.

Not sure if it will stay that way, but take a look at the colder origins off the S. American coast. East-based atm. Though I'm no expert on this, just pointing out what I see.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_update/sstanim.shtml

Totally agree that right now it looks east-based. I had read some posts suggesting a west-based Nina later this year but its hard to argue with the data. And I'm far from my an expert myself! :lol: Regardless, I don't think you North Texans are going to see the snow bonanza you saw last year!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Panhandle's year :P. Amazing how time flies, here we are in the midst of scorching heat. But soon (about a month or so) the kids go back to school, the leaves change color, and the first true cold front will wipe away this heat and humidity can't wait! Seems like just yesterday we were talking about spring snow!
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby iorange55 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:19 pm

The forecast doesn't seem good for us, but I think last year was the like first year we were predicted to have cooler than average temps. As long as we get a snow or two, and some nice cold weather. I won't complain too much.

Anything but this awful heat. Only a little over a month, and the heat will be fading!
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:40 pm

iorange55 wrote:The forecast doesn't seem good for us, but I think last year was the like first year we were predicted to have cooler than average temps. As long as we get a snow or two, and some nice cold weather. I won't complain too much.

Anything but this awful heat. Only a little over a month, and the heat will be fading!

Are you sure? I thought September's were toasty too in Dallas.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#11 Postby Portastorm » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:27 pm

It actually hasn't been too bad this summer so far in Austin. In fact, we have yet to record a 100-degree day which is unusual this late in July. Lots of humidity this summer though. But it beats last summer's High Pressure Ridge of Death! :D
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#12 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:11 am

Tireman4 wrote:
iorange55 wrote:The forecast doesn't seem good for us, but I think last year was the like first year we were predicted to have cooler than average temps. As long as we get a snow or two, and some nice cold weather. I won't complain too much.

They can be, but at least nighttime temps are refreshing into the 60s. Unlike the current stretch of 80s for lows...my oh my. Cool nights make up for hot days. Anyone have maps of what La Nina winters are like in the states?
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#13 Postby somethingfunny » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:56 am

^ Does not include this past year's El Nino
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby gboudx » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:58 am

Ntxw wrote:
Tireman4 wrote:

They can be, but at least nighttime temps are refreshing into the 60s. Unlike the current stretch of 80s for lows...my oh my. Cool nights make up for hot days. Anyone have maps of what La Nina winters are like in the states?

I've been impressed that we haven't start some Baatan Death March of consecutive 100 degree days yet. So far the DFW summer hasn't been too bad. But the peak is yet to come.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#15 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:16 pm

July hasn't been to bad for DFW, had some nice rainy days. June however was no walk in the park. Southern half of Texas is fairing better this summer which is well deserved from last summer. I heard winter is starting early in western Canada and Alaska this year (probably typical for La Nina). Perhaps that's where we should look for our first coming of crisp air since that's where it usually comes from anyway.

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#16 Postby Portastorm » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:54 am

Good points/info Ntxw! Early autumns are synonymous with La Nina and I can see a two-fold benefit in that we can enjoy some cooler temps and it should steer any tropical mischief away from Texas.

Perhaps an early autumn and winter but moderation in early 2011? Wouldn't surprise me to see an ice storm threat in December for much of central/north Texas followed by a warm/dry-ish winter. I've seen it before in La Nina years.
0 likes   

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby srainhoutx » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:48 pm

Don't forget about a late December Arctic Outbreak. Even La Nina years can throw a curveball or two.

Edit to add: We had a lot of great discussions in various threats last Winter. I look forward to the return of our Pro Mets and Winter Weather Watchers in a few month after the Tropical Season. :cheesy:
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#18 Postby Ntxw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:58 am

Accuwx has the first winter outlook posted! Last year Bastardi was pretty much on par with his map in the summer. Again as signs of la nina continues, this winter doesn't bode well for the southern plains or the deep south if you like cold and snow according to the outlook.

But like srainhoutx and Portastorm said, he too mentions cold spells early in the season.

Most long term models are predicting moderate to strong La Nina holding grip all winter.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re:

#19 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:38 pm

Ntxw wrote:Accuwx has the first winter outlook posted! Last year Bastardi was pretty much on par with his map in the summer. Again as signs of la nina continues, this winter doesn't bode well for the southern plains or the deep south if you like cold and snow according to the outlook.

But like srainhoutx and Portastorm said, he too mentions cold spells early in the season.

[b]Most long term models are predicting moderate to strong La Nina holding grip all winter.[.b]

Great, that usually means a heavy wildfire season up here. :roll:
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#20 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Current SST show a very weak La Nina, but till we have 3 consective months it wont be offical. But as of now La Nina is favored for this winter, just hope it's a weak La Nina as it will allow us to have a better shot of a more balanced winter as we tend to get during Neutral winters.

The only good thing La Nina winters have going for them are the chance of a buckeled N jet stream that dumps arctic air into the deep south. While we trend to be warmer and drier during La Nina winters, the chance for extreme arctic outbreaks for short periods of time are higher, but winter precip chances are much lower due to the storm track being across the mid section of the U.S.

Aug 5th, 2010

NOAA announced today that, as predicted last spring, La Niña has formed in the tropical Pacific Ocean.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”