TX - First big cool front of fall?

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

TX - First big cool front of fall?

#1 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:51 pm

Ok, anybody want to throw out when they think the first BIG cool front of the fall season will arrive here in Texas?

My bet is the week of Sept. 19th.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: TX - First big cool front of fall?

#2 Postby Portastorm » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:00 pm

La Nina year which means early cold fronts ... I'll take September 10th.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:17 pm

None of the models really show anything of that nature anytime soon. I figure it will take a major game changer to finally switch things around probably in the form of a decent tropical system for Texas. Early Sept. is prime for that so I'll go with Portastorm Sept 10th in the heart of tropical season.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#4 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:12 pm

Naw, it will come in on Sept. 13th, too late for the tropical system we need to be shunted away. :eek:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:04 pm

September 25
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#6 Postby somethingfunny » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:25 am

October 3rd.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Turtle
Category 1
Category 1

#7 Postby Turtle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:08 pm

My guess is September 2 or September 6. Bring on winter!! :cold:
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#8 Postby somethingfunny » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:09 pm

For the purposes of this contest, what do you define as a BIG cool front? :cold:
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#9 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:15 pm

:uarrow: My definition is one that makes it all the way to the GOM and cools us down below 70f.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Tireman4 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:44 pm

My definition is what Dr Neil Frank thinks...our low is below 60 degrees!!!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#11 Postby Ntxw » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:58 pm

My definition is immediate drop of 10+ degrees within a few hours or less with a noticeable northerly wind 15mph+! Though not like that, later in the week should be nice with lows finally getting to the upper 60s in some outlying areas. Big difference from 83 for a low last night...
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#12 Postby Portastorm » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:43 am

This is a good question. If we're going to go by a 10-degree or more drop of a high temp and north winds, we may actually hit that criteria tomorrow in Austin. Our high temps will go from the mid 100s to the mid 90s with a north wind. But geez, I wouldn't consider that the "first big cool front of the fall." You know?
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Tireman4 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:07 am

Portastorm wrote:This is a good question. If we're going to go by a 10-degree or more drop of a high temp and north winds, we may actually hit that criteria tomorrow in Austin. Our high temps will go from the mid 100s to the mid 90s with a north wind. But geez, I wouldn't consider that the "first big cool front of the fall." You know?

Me neither Porta. I want a front that brings the highs in the mid 80's and lows in the mid 60's. :)
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#14 Postby Ntxw » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:01 pm

Portastorm wrote:This is a good question. If we're going to go by a 10-degree or more drop of a high temp and north winds, we may actually hit that criteria tomorrow in Austin. Our high temps will go from the mid 100s to the mid 90s with a north wind. But geez, I wouldn't consider that the "first big cool front of the fall." You know?

Well I guess the keyword there is immediate. The next front really is a gradual cooling via clouds and rain first followed by a bit of cold advection. It's really relative, the change could possibly be the shift we've all been looking for hence to some it might just be that big front :P . After the records in north Texas yesterday it might as well feel like a midwinter cold front :lol: . To be more specific on the definition, feeling the crisp air after a frontal passage definitely gives it the status of a big front! Come on fall!
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#15 Postby somethingfunny » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:23 am

It really did feel like a winter cold front today. We had a gentle soaking morning rain and overcast skies all day - steady north wind at 15-20mph....and a high of 84. When I was outside I actually wished I'd worn jeans!

Never thought mid-80s could feel cold but after it hit 110 in Fort Worth on Monday...I know now.

:eek: :cold: :cold: :double: :D

Was this the first BIG cool front of the Fall?
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#16 Postby Portastorm » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:28 am

That sounds nice. I guess I can't gripe too much because the "front" dropped our temps 10 degrees to the mid 90s and there was a "coolish" north breeze the last two days. I wish we would have had some rain though like y'all had.

I'm looking forward to seeing the August temperature map for Texas. I have to believe we're going to average at least several degrees above normal on the CPC map.

Meanwhile, looking ahead ... I've been reading lots online that Canada and the northern Plains may be real cold this winter but that a strong Pacific jet will dictate whether or not sporadic plunges of Arctic air flow into Texas and the southern Plains. Looks like it will be a warmer and drier (than average) winter but we may see a few Arctic outbreaks when the jet weakens or buckles. And will the negative NAO we have seen this summer continue into winter? Anybody hearing different?
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby gboudx » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:40 am

Was 69 degrees this morning. Walked the kids to school instead of driving them. Was very nice. The DFW AFD hinted at a stronger cold front end of next week. Let's hope.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#18 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:04 pm

Still way out over 300+ hours, but the GFS is showing hints of colder air making it's way south. First time in awhile that 0c isotherm is making it's way out of the arctic into parts of central Canada if this holds true. Change seems to be lurking just around the corner! IF it's correct (doubt) then the Sept 10-15 time frame might be the winners.

And the -NAO has been persistent for awhile but who knows...anything can happen! I wonder how blocking will play a role this winter, sure did the last.
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#19 Postby Portastorm » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Well, even though it doesn't "feel" like the first big Fall cold front, we have a noticeable difference in our weather today here in AUS. Temps haven't even hit 80 yet as of mid afternoon due to rain and clouds and we have a north wind of 10-15 mph. This is roughly 20 degrees cooler than recent days. Sure feels nice though and the rain is very welcomed!
0 likes   

~FlipFlopGirl~
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#20 Postby ~FlipFlopGirl~ » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:47 pm

I have really enjoyed the breeze and the mid 80's but it looks like next week we may be in the mid 90's again! We 25 days straight of 100's- I hope for a nice cold snowy winter :wink:
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”