Texas Winter 2014-2015

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Texas Winter 2014-2015

#1 Postby ravyrn » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Wahoo! What a winter 2013-2014 was! Lots of cold, lots of ice, and some of the white stuff for parts of ETX. Now it's time to set our eyes on the upcoming winter! Hopefully we can manage the right combination of cold/moisture to kick off this upcoming and make its start a December to remember! We even managed to turn the Heat Miser away from the dark side for a period this past winter! Let's see what wintry mischief we can whip up in about 8 months!
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2014-2015

#2 Postby orangeblood » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:38 am

ravyrn wrote:Wahoo! What a winter 2013-2014 was! Lots of cold, lots of ice, and some of the white stuff for parts of ETX. Now it's time to set our eyes on the upcoming winter! Hopefully we can manage the right combination of cold/moisture to kick off this upcoming and make its start a December to remember! We even managed to turn the Heat Miser away from the dark side for a period this past winter! Let's see what wintry mischief we can whip up in about 8 months!

Signals continue to point towards a very cold/above average precip winter across the southern US. It appears we might get an El Nino this time around, the one ingredient that was missing last winter!! Some of the best Texas winter analogs continue to pop up...2009/10, 76-77, 65-66
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:01 am

If next winter for Texas is like it seems with El Nino helping things,this thread may break the 501 page record of the Texas Winter 2013-2014 thread. :)
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4 Postby wxman57 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:05 pm

My initial thinking is that next winter will be a particularly warm one across Texas. Probably nothing close to freezing and no ice storms anywhere in the state. Sounds like a dream winter to me.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:17 pm

wxman57 wrote:My initial thinking is that next winter will be a particularly warm one across Texas. Probably nothing close to freezing and no ice storms anywhere in the state. Sounds like a dream winter to me.

Ha. Wrong. :) LOL.
0 likes   

SaskatchewanScreamer

#6 Postby SaskatchewanScreamer » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:33 am

“Oh, my sweet summer child," SaskatchewanScreamer said quietly, "what do you know of fear?
Fear is for the winter, my little Texans, when the snows fall a hundred feet
deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long
night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children
are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and
hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods”

“When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

“Nothing burns like the cold.”

Remember the above when you dare to voice your wishes aloud..... for the time of darkness and cold will be just taking a short holiday this year. His power is great now and is only growing. Winterfell will be spared but.......

“The things we love destroy us every time, lad. Remember that.”

The Games will begin soon enough.
0 likes   

ravyrn
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby ravyrn » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:41 pm

We need a winter storm to travel across CTX next winter, so South Texas Storms and Porta can get some of the white. I wouldn't mind some in my neck of the woods either, though we did get a dusting this past winter. I'm still shocked that the real winner this past winter was the Toledo Bend area. They got over 6" of snow in some areas.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Wow! Tweet from Joe Bastardi today, his thoughts on NEXT winter. He tweeted it, so can we put it up here?

Wasn't sure, so I just put a URL hotlink to the photo.

-----

@BigJoeBastardi · 3h
http://Weatherbell.com has this out for clients since mid April, outlining ideas of winter similar to 02-03/09-10

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BmftahfCEAA5JSK.jpg:large
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9 Postby Texas Snowman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:09 pm

And then there's this tweet:

"‏@BigJoeBastardi · I outlined in Sept 2011 series of 3 potentially harsh winters.12-13,13-14,14-15 . Modiki winters like we have next winter usually cold,snowy."
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby gpsnowman » Fri May 02, 2014 5:17 am

Well color me excited about next winter. LONG way off though. :cry: Mucho heat to get through before September cool fronts refresh us all.
Kudos the all the folks in the Texas Spring thread keeping us informed!!!
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#11 Postby Ntxw » Thu May 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Looking forward to some of this. We'll have to fine tune to see where the Aleutian low ends up setting shop. If there is ridging in the NE Pac that will help get some cold air into Canada, if it sits in the GOA then we'll see a warmer in the source region.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:05 pm

I think Winter 2014-2015 will probably be like 1972-1973, 1982-1983, and 1997-1998.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#13 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Ok boys and girls, after today, we're half-way through the year and on the downhill slide towards Wxman57's favorite time of the year, fall and winter!!!

Give this Texas summer a couple of more months, then let the fun and games begin!!!
0 likes   

Sambucol
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#14 Postby Sambucol » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:39 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:Ok boys and girls, after today, we're half-way through the year and on the downhill slide towards Wxman57's favorite time of the year, fall and winter!!!

Give this Texas summer a couple of more months, then let the fun and games begin!!!

I agree!!!
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#15 Postby Portastorm » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:49 pm

0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:54 pm

Read from the HGX twitter account that the top 2 latest dates we cracked 95 degrees were 1898 and 1899.....Im not saying it will be, but im just saying..... :)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#17 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:36 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Read from the HGX twitter account that the top 2 latest dates we cracked 95 degrees were 1898 and 1899.....Im not saying it will be, but im just saying..... :)

I saw that too. Yes, the thought did cross my mind. :D Dare we even think like that? :D :eek:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#18 Postby Tireman4 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:01 am

vbhoutex wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Read from the HGX twitter account that the top 2 latest dates we cracked 95 degrees were 1898 and 1899.....Im not saying it will be, but im just saying..... :)

I saw that too. Yes, the thought did cross my mind. :D Dare we even think like that? :D :eek:

Make sure that Champ is tuned up...:)
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#19 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:26 am

:uarrow:

Champ the Charger, the PWC's winter storm chasemobile, will be tuned up this fall and in fully operational mode by the middle of November! :cheesy:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#20 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Being that winter is only 5 more months away, I'm sure others here are anxious to know what to look for the next few months that could give us the slightest inkling of what may be. For today, I'm going to start with the EPO or East Pacific Oscillation.

Last winter we were privileged to witness this oscillation at it's best. Ignored for years we finally came into conclusion that it has a tremendous influence. Back in October and November we saw the signs of this signal telling us what it would do the whole winter even at the face of a strong +AO/NAO and unfavorable PNA. For years we have come to think the AO releases cold air and used to far too deeply on determining outbreaks. While this is a good start it does not always direct it towards our neck of the woods (Texas) for this you need the -EPO. Without it the -NAO that usually accompanies -AO (the two are closely related) will flush it across to Europe and Asia while the Pacific sends in mild air.

Here are some examples for two decades that were very different from other, AO/NAO that are not too much of influence long scale but the EPO has glaring differences.

1980s were a very cold decade dominated by anomalous -EPO

1990s were a much warmer decade with predominately +EPO

And then even on a seasonal scale the differences are drastic
Winter of 2011/12's +EPO dominance

Last winter -EPO dominance

As the days grow shorter, I'm sure all of us will be keeping a close eye on the Pacific Ocean and what it may do, McFarland gave us a good standard to this oscillation but more is needed to understand it, most severe Arctic outbreaks in Texas can be traced back to the EPO. One eye will be on the tropical Pacific for El Nino the other on the North Pacific for blocking. Of course unless you are a certain met heat miser from Houston.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Winter Weather”