Texas Winter 2015-2016

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#41 Postby Ntxw » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:05 am

The past few Novembers have been cold with precip, I say we continue that trend. I-20 north.

I also think we get a December cutoff low early, cold ULL mischief that robs DFW and Austin of moisture but gives Houstonians early season wet fluff magic. Austin will get some model foot storms but ends up with freezing drizzle with schools and business closing as result, as it is the frzng drzl capital of Texas most likely in early and late January.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby Ralph's Weather » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:16 am

For the Panhandle I would expect snow by Thanksgiving and for North Texas a January or later start though a surprise around Thanksgiving is possible.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Big O
Category 1
Category 1

#43 Postby Big O » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:19 am

Larry Cosgrove (in his latest extended range Weather America newsletter) hinted that November would have transient cold shots, while December may turn out to be mild. However, he states that come the New Year, the following pattern should emerge: -AO/-EPO and +PNA. As he suggests and as most of us know, if the teleconnections indeed verify as he suggests, we should have a very "interesting" (i.e., cold to very cold with precipitation) January-March 2016. I am sure Wxman57 is feverishly looking for some way to dash our hopes.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#44 Postby Portastorm » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:16 am

Ntxw wrote:The past few Novembers have been cold with precip, I say we continue that trend. I-20 north.

I also think we get a December cutoff low early, cold ULL mischief that robs DFW and Austin of moisture but gives Houstonians early season wet fluff magic. Austin will get some model foot storms but ends up with freezing drizzle with schools and business closing as result, as it is the frzng drzl capital of Texas most likely in early and late January.

Yes! Yes! What he said! :lol:

About the only thing I'm confident in this coming winter is that the Freezing Drizzle Capital of Texas (Austin) will see more freezing drizzle. After all that's what we do here. :roll:

If we don't end up with several noteworthy winter weather events in Texas by next March, I'll be surprised. Nearly every forecaster nationally who does long range work suggests it'll be a wet and cold to very cold winter here starting in January. So if it doesn't happpen, most everyone will "bust."
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby dhweather » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:51 am

Portastorm, As long as you get snow, I'm good with winter. :)
0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#46 Postby Portastorm » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:23 pm

dhweather wrote:Portastorm, As long as you get snow, I'm good with winter. :)

Just for that ... I hope it rains every third day in Heath during this much-ballyhooed El Nino winter! May your cup overfloweth, sir.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#47 Postby Tireman4 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:56 am

Portastorm wrote:

Just for that ... I hope it rains every third day in Heath during this much-ballyhooed El Nino winter! May your cup overfloweth, sir.

Please have Champ The Charger ready for take off sir..
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#48 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Cleaning out some old e-mails and I came across this. Portastorm, keep the faith this year!!! :D

"Bill Murray (WxH) (@wxhistorian)
10/30/1993: San Antonio #TXWX saw its earliest snowflakes. #snow #weather"
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2015-2016

#49 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:29 am

thought I would post this here as well..... :ggreen:

Well I guess it's time for me to toss out the good old Halloween analogy for the Winter 2015/2016. I started this analogy 13 yrs ago after the birth of my youngest Son on Oct 30th. I started looking at Halloween as a focal point in time and then went backwards 10 yrs. I look at the Average monthly temp and average monthly precip as well as the average daily temp of October 31st to gauge the upcoming winter . It was strange to see that how Halloween turned out, translated to How the following Winter went.

So for 13 yrs now I have used the strange but affective analogy, and it's has been surprisingly accurate.

October 2015
[TEMPERATURE DATA] [PRECIPITATION DATA]

AVERAGE MONTHLY: 71.2 TOTAL FOR MONTH: 9.82
DPTR FM NORMAL: +3.7 DPTR FM NORMAL: +5.60

Halloween
H68 L59 Average 64 +1

So what does the coming Winter look like now? Winter 2015/16 will see much above average precip, but only average Temps +/- a few degrees.
0 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby lrak » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:50 am

The GFS is showing winter precipitation on Black Friday for central TX? :cold:
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Longhornmaniac8
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#51 Postby Longhornmaniac8 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Come find us in the Fall thread.
0 likes   

perk
Category 3
Category 3

#52 Postby perk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Longhornmaniac8 wrote:Come find us in the Fall thread.

Where might that be.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#53 Postby wxman57 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:39 pm

lrak wrote:The GFS is showing winter precipitation on Black Friday for central TX? :cold:

No GFS run is showing anything but mixed precip in the panhandle.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby Brent » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:15 pm

Before winter starts...

the historic fall recap:

0 likes   
#neversummer

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#55 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:19 pm

Let me be the first to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!!

And to let everyone know that there is a....

CAT 5 SNOWCANE IN THE GULF!!!! :D
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

LaBreeze
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#56 Postby LaBreeze » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:43 am

Texas Snowman wrote:

Let me be the first to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!!

And to let everyone know that there is a....

CAT 5 SNOWCANE IN THE GULF!!!! :D

Merry Christmas to you as well, Texas Snowman. That's a good one with the Cat 5!
0 likes   
Audrey (1957), Carla (1961), Hilda (1964), Betsy (1965), Edith (1971), Carmen (1974), Danny (1985), Juan (1985), Andrew (1992), Lili (2002), Rita (2005), Gustav (2008), Ike (2008), and stuck in the eye of Iniki (1992) while vacationing in Kauai.

Not an official forecast by any means.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#57 Postby Ntxw » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:48 am

Ah yes, good to be back in the winter thread. Time to wake up the slumber gang. We need snow and we need it now :cheesy:. A new winter season has begun!

501 pages is the mark to beat (2013-2014). Hopefully from snow and cold and not complaints of warmth and dry.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby Brent » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:22 am

GFS is pretty quiet through 300 hours(maybe a couple light rain events and seasonal temps) and then continues to show hints of at least a bigger rain event followed by much colder air towards mid month but it is a long way out...

On the positive side... despite all this talk of a blowtorch in the rest of the country, the warmest the GFS gets for highs at DFW is only a couple days in the mid 60s. Hardly unusual for December...

Happy winter everyone! Hopefully there is lots of snow for everyone. :cold:
0 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#59 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:54 am

Happy December everyone. Bring on the cold and snow!!!! :cold: :froze:
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby KatDaddy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:46 am

Deep WSW flow aloft will continue to bring disturbances across SE TX through tonight before decreasing clouds on Wednesday followed by sunny days Thursday through Saturday morning before increasing clouds begin to return followed low rain chances on Sunday.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “Winter Weather”