Winter storms and barometric pressure(climate change?)

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cowhide
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Winter storms and barometric pressure(climate change?)

#1 Postby Cowhide » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:14 am

I've noticed lately, especially in the past few years something somewhat interesting. And because I can be analytical and nerdy I tend to keep track of these dumb things.

When a system is headed our way, there seems to be a brief moment of rising pressure right before a storm approaches...What happens is the pressure will gradually drop as the storm is getting closer, but then in a small window of time it will actually start to rise before it drops again once it makes landfall. This is starring to happen with more frequently unless I haven't been paying attention in the past. And if this unusual could it be tied to global warming/climate change?

Here is an example:https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCQT/2016/3/11/DailyHistory.html?MR=1
0 likes   

TheAustinMan
Category 4
Category 4

Re: Winter storms and barometric pressure(climate change?)

#2 Postby TheAustinMan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:28 am

I'm no expert at pressure, but what I imagine happening is that the approaching system (an extratropical cyclone associated with a trough of lower pressures) nudges an area of higher pressures out ahead of it, mostly towards the south (where Los Angeles would be). This would lead to a brief moment of higher pressures. Once the system makes landfall, the lower pressures associated with the system move inland. That's just a guess on my part.

Anyhow, that would appear to be fairly typical behavior. I don't think there would be much of a connection to climate change.

0 likes   
ImageImageImage
- Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Cowhide
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby Cowhide » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Hey, thanks for responding! But exactly why does it nudge an area of higher pressures out ahead of it? Is it because the storm is just that strong that it's creating it's own turbulence around it?
0 likes   

Cowhide
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4 Postby Cowhide » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Anyone else?
0 likes   

hurricanefloyd5
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby hurricanefloyd5 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Forgive me if this is the wrong board but this is my first time in the winter weather board but I did have a question I'm living in Oklahoma City and I was wondering does anybody have a forecast or an idea on whether Oklahoma City will get a couple of big snow storms and or ice storms this year
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”