Texas Winter 2020-2021

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Texas Winter 2020-2021

#1 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:42 pm

The 2020 summer solstice? Check.

The Fourth of July? Check.

Starting the Texas Winter 2020-2021 thread during Wxman57’s favorite season? Check. :D

Will this upcoming winter weather season finally be the one to deliver good amounts of snow, ice and cold to Texas?!?!? :froze: :jacket: :spam:
7 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

mcheer23
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Texas Winter 2020-2021

#2 Postby mcheer23 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:45 am

I think a fairly warm winter is on the way...sadly... :grr: :cry:
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby Brent » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:14 pm

mcheer23 wrote:I think a fairly warm winter is on the way...sadly... :grr: :cry:

boo :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:55 am

mcheer23 wrote:I think a fairly warm winter is on the way...sadly... :grr: :cry:

Now now now don't you dare!!! Way too early for that kind of talk. :D
2 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby Ralph's Weather » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:04 am

Why do you say that? I have not analyzed things for the winter yet but I do see a warm NE Pacific so that is a good sign for a cold winter.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby FireRat » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:59 pm

Came here to cool off for a bit, it's nice to see a winter thread so early here on S2K! :cold:
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:24 pm

So the warm pool is still there, maybe even bigger, but paired with a La nina, could make this winter very interesting. The warm pool El nino combo hasnt worked out well for us. In 2013-'14, ENSO was pretty neutral.

Obviously, a million other variables but i do like the potential of this combo.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:16 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:So the warm pool is still there, maybe even bigger, but paired with a La nina, could make this winter very interesting. The warm pool El nino combo hasnt worked out well for us. In 2013-'14, ENSO was pretty neutral.

Obviously, a million other variables but i do like the potential of this combo.

Warm pool, La Niña, very cool Nino 1/2 ... spells out a cold Holiday season IMO
6 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#9 Postby Portastorm » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:30 am

First of all, I love seeing action in this thread during July! Proud of y'all. :D

Second, I have no great prediction or wisdom to offer about this coming winter season except for this ... for probably the last 3-4 winters, it is my belief that the weather patterns did not act out as predicted. The combination of the usual indices and signatures that mean certain things did not play out as most thought they would. Now I'm speaking from a general overall perspective. Certainly there were moments where they did. But overall, I can remember even some of who I consider to be very smart/solid weather people like Anthony Masiello, Ben Noll, and Bastardi/D'Aleo, having to examine things after the fact (season) on why the winter acted the way that it did. I do believe climate change is playing a role in messing with what we thought were accurate predictors. All of this to say that if we bank on the old tried and true analogs ... we'll probably be surprised. I just don't trust them like I used to.

To make things even more interesting is that today's models do not have the amount of data that they did pre-pandemic. I'm sure y'all have seen some of the same things I have seen online about less aircraft flying, less data being provided into the models, worse outcomes. If they're having issues in the 5-6 day range ... how can we have confidence beyond that?
5 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:33 pm

Portastorm wrote:First of all, I love seeing action in this thread during July! Proud of y'all. :D

Second, I have no great prediction or wisdom to offer about this coming winter season except for this ... for probably the last 3-4 winters, it is my belief that the weather patterns did not act out as predicted. The combination of the usual indices and signatures that mean certain things did not play out as most thought they would. Now I'm speaking from a general overall perspective. Certainly there were moments where they did. But overall, I can remember even some of who I consider to be very smart/solid weather people like Anthony Masiello, Ben Noll, and Bastardi/D'Aleo, having to examine things after the fact (season) on why the winter acted the way that it did. I do believe climate change is playing a role in messing with what we thought were accurate predictors. All of this to say that if we bank on the old tried and true analogs ... we'll probably be surprised. I just don't trust them like I used to.

To make things even more interesting is that today's models do not have the amount of data that they did pre-pandemic. I'm sure y'all have seen some of the same things I have seen online about less aircraft flying, less data being provided into the models, worse outcomes. If they're having issues in the 5-6 day range ... how can we have confidence beyond that?

Youre absolutely right. Last couple winters especially predictions have been terrible. Last year especially. Last year, some of us thought it was the perfect combo for winter weather and it was the complete opposite. With that said, climate change is making a bit of an impact. Interesting to see how quickly the ice comes back in the Arctic. Big deal for building large high pressures.

I'm starting to think weak La ninas are much better for us here in Texas. 2017-18 we had three different events here in SE TX.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:31 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Portastorm wrote:First of all, I love seeing action in this thread during July! Proud of y'all. :D

Youre absolutely right. Last couple winters especially predictions have been terrible. Last year especially. Last year, some of us thought it was the perfect combo for winter weather and it was the complete opposite. With that said, climate change is making a bit of an impact. Interesting to see how quickly the ice comes back in the Arctic. Big deal for building large high pressures.

I'm starting to think weak La ninas are much better for us here in Texas. 2017-18 we had three different events here in SE TX.

Weak ninas with the PDO on our side and a warm pool in GOA, are absolutely our best bet. They often deliver the coldest air too.
3 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby CaptinCrunch » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:34 pm

I'm with chunking the whole El Nino-La Nina crap in the trash can and just calling it Winter :lol:

Last Winter I didn't even burn all of my 1/2 Cord, but it was no loss as it gets used in the smoker!! Either way 2020 is a toss year, just write it off and move on to 2021.
3 likes   

Quicksilver17
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#13 Postby Quicksilver17 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:22 pm

Let's hope for a better winter this year. we need a change from the summer heat! :D
4 likes   

nathanc1969
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#14 Postby nathanc1969 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:50 am

Larry Cosgrove.....who gets it right more than anyone I know, has unfortunately predicted a warm winter.
0 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:41 am

Two different almanacs, two different “forecasts”.
3 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:13 pm

I will take picture A. Typical La Nina look there. We would get by with mild winter weather and then BOOM a massive cold blast with some precip to remind us it is winter. Some winter days are mild anyway so let's make this one count. Like the map says, temperamental.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#17 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:23 pm

I don't mind warmth in winter I mean it is Texas but there better be a tradeoff :lol:

That sounds like most La Nina's
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Cerlin » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:06 am

I’ve decided I’m fine with a warmer winter. JUST PLEASE give me one good snow storm of 3+ inches and I’m happy. We are long overdue. :lol:
2 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

WinterMax
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#19 Postby WinterMax » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:24 am

2nd week of September will bring a welcome change.
1 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#20 Postby Portastorm » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:59 pm

Cerlin wrote:I’ve decided I’m fine with a warmer winter. JUST PLEASE give me one good snow storm of 3+ inches and I’m happy. We are long overdue. :lol:

I was telling my Austin compadre Haris the other day that I don't mind a Nina winter. Why? They usually have several Arctic outbreak type events for Texas when the jetstream buckles and super cold air comes down from Canada. And there usually is some precip to go with it. Sure, the bulk of the winter is dry and warm and boring ... but those few events provide some nice excitement and wintry fun.
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Return to “Winter Weather”