Texas Winter 2020-2021

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2020-2021

#7541 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:11 am

orangeblood wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Europe in general does, and the use of wind power lowers this cost. The point is, they are able to run them in climates worse than what we see in Texas. There's no question about the profitability and cost effectiveness of wind power. They wouldn't use it if it wasn't.

I find it very unlikely that maintaining a farm of wind turbines costs more to maintain than a large thermal plant. I dont have specifics, but i find that unlikely. Having thermal as a backup as needed would still be efficient in many scenarios, it's just erratic based on the weather.

Look at the chart you posted, wind power fell just as much as it did in this past winter storm as it did many other times. So what is so different about the behavior for wind power? As stated before, they expected little wind energy during this crisis ahead of time.

You sure about the cost effectiveness of wind in Europe ?? Because there is no empirical evidence to back that assertion up....Europe has some of the most expensive electricity pricing on the planet. As far as cheap energy goes, Europe has failed in that regard!!!

Just look at the 2020 numbers below...Do you think it's a coincidence that the 5 cheapest providers of electricity on the planet have some of the highest uses of Coal/Natural Gas ?? At least to date, renewables can't even come close to competing with Fossil Fuels from a cost perspective.

Country Average price in cents/kWh
Germany .39
Denmark .32
Japan .29
Australia .26
UK .26
Spain .23
France .22
South Africa .15
Brazil .14
USA .14
Canada .11
Russia .06
Nigeria .06
China .08
India .08
Qatar .03

You're spinning my words. I said it LOWERS the cost of energy. All of those countries near the top, mostly European IMPORT their energy supplies from other countries. This is why their energy costs are so high. They import much of their product from Russia at a steep price.

Also, allllll of the countries with low energy costs produce the energy themselves. This is why it's so cheap. Has absolutely nothing to do with the type of energy. Qatar I believe has the largest amount of nat gas reserves in the world.

Energy is so expensive in Europe that many of them have the ability to run solar to lower costs. That's bananas for countries at such a high latitude and with the type of weather they have.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#7542 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:30 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Europe in general does, and the use of wind power lowers this cost. The point is, they are able to run them in climates worse than what we see in Texas. There's no question about the profitability and cost effectiveness of wind power. They wouldn't use it if it wasn't.

I find it very unlikely that maintaining a farm of wind turbines costs more to maintain than a large thermal plant. I dont have specifics, but i find that unlikely. Having thermal as a backup as needed would still be efficient in many scenarios, it's just erratic based on the weather.

Look at the chart you posted, wind power fell just as much as it did in this past winter storm as it did many other times. So what is so different about the behavior for wind power? As stated before, they expected little wind energy during this crisis ahead of time.

You sure about the cost effectiveness of wind in Europe ?? Because there is no empirical evidence to back that assertion up....Europe has some of the most expensive electricity pricing on the planet. As far as cheap energy goes, Europe has failed in that regard!!!

Just look at the 2020 numbers below...Do you think it's a coincidence that the 5 cheapest providers of electricity on the planet have some of the highest uses of Coal/Natural Gas ?? At least to date, renewables can't even come close to competing with Fossil Fuels from a cost perspective.

Germany .39
Denmark .32
Japan .29
Australia .26
UK .26
Spain .23
France .22
South Africa .15
Brazil .14
USA .14
Canada .11
Russia .06
Nigeria .06
China .08
India .08
Qatar .03

You're spinning my words. I said it LOWERS the cost of energy. All of those countries near the top, mostly European IMPORT their energy supplies from other countries. This is why their energy costs are so high. They import much of their product from Russia at a steep price.

Also, allllll of the countries with low energy costs produce the energy themselves. This is why it's so cheap. Has absolutely nothing to do with the type of energy. Qatar I believe has the largest amount of nat gas reserves in the world.

Energy is so expensive in Europe that many of them have the ability to run solar to lower costs. That's bananas for countries at such a high latitude and with the type of weather they have.
While renewable energy may be more costly, it is only a surefire matter of time before nonrenewables SKYROCKET in price as the world depletes these resources. Renewable is the way to go and I am saying this as a conservative. We MUST transfer before this happens or else a terrible depression greater than the Great depression itself will inevitably occur.
1 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7543 Postby tolakram » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:33 am

I'd like to see subsidy neutral numbers when comparing price per hour. Sometimes US subsidies, for example, are not money to reduce costs of a fuel but instead someone making a determination that because we don't tax a fuel it's considered a subsidy. I have a feeling some of the numbers from Europe might include taxes and not actual production costs. It's very difficult if not impossible to get real raw cost numbers, which IMO is a big issue. The reason many agencies want to include taxes is to try and place a 'real cost' on some of the older fuels. I'm not a big fan of 'real cost' solutions because they are, by their very nature, opinions or at best an interpretation of data.

I'm also pro nuke by the way, but I think the reality of getting more nuclear plants online is slim to none.
7 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

funster
Category 3
Category 3

#7544 Postby funster » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:35 am

The wind farm in Antarctica seems to work. -50 degrees in the winter for lows. A balmy -5 when the video was filmed.

Link: https://youtu.be/PmhJdwwpAf4
1 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7545 Postby orangeblood » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:56 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:

Germany .39
Denmark .32
Japan .29
Australia .26
UK .26
Spain .23
France .22
South Africa .15
Brazil .14
USA .14
Canada .11
Russia .06
Nigeria .06
China .08
India .08
Qatar .03

Man, going to definitely agree to disagree here....the type of energy absolutely matters, particularly one that is intermittent vs. not. The former needs backup to make the grid more reliable - the infrastructure costs (from renewables and their backups) are enormous in Europe and those costs are being passed down to consumers. Most experts would agree that the Germany renewable experiment is a disaster from a cost perspective.
1 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7546 Postby orangeblood » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:58 am

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
orangeblood wrote:

Germany .39
Denmark .32
Japan .29
Australia .26
UK .26
Spain .23
France .22
South Africa .15
Brazil .14
USA .14
Canada .11
Russia .06
Nigeria .06
China .08
India .08
Qatar .03

While renewable energy may be more costly, it is only a surefire matter of time before nonrenewables SKYROCKET in price as the world depletes these resources. Renewable is the way to go and I am saying this as a conservative. We MUST transfer before this happens or else a terrible depression greater than the Great depression itself will inevitably occur.

If there's any validity to this prediction, NUCLEAR is the answer! France is decent proof of that
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#7547 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:00 pm

I don't think it will happen but they should really look into nuclear energy...
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#7548 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:03 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
orangeblood wrote:

Germany .39
Denmark .32
Japan .29
Australia .26
UK .26
Spain .23
France .22
South Africa .15
Brazil .14
USA .14
Canada .11
Russia .06
Nigeria .06
China .08
India .08
Qatar .03

Sort of. We were initially supposed to run out of oil by now, but new technology has allowed us to more accurately locate reserves, as well as new ways to tap resources that were previously considered inaccessible. And natural gas is in even greater supply. That’s the danger with some of the efforts over the years to hang climate change acceptance on the fear of fuel depletion. Many people who hopped on the bandwagon will jump right back off when they realize they won’t be sitting in the dark in 2040 because we didn’t shift to renewables quickly enough. In my opinion, there are many other reasons, monetary and otherwise, to make the shift.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#7549 Postby wxman57 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:06 pm

Time to get back on track and discuss the weather.
13 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#7550 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 pm

orangeblood wrote:
InfernoFlameCat wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:

If there's any validity to this prediction, NUCLEAR is the answer! France is decent proof of that

Hey, if we can do nuclear fusion and actually get more energy out than put in, sure. Otherwise a hard no. Solar is the least favorable source in my opinion but everything else (besides fossil fuels) we need to capitalize on now. Wxman57, can you move this section of thread to off topic?
I created a new thread on off topic.
Last edited by InfernoFlameCat on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7551 Postby gpsnowman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:17 pm

wxman57 wrote:Time to get back on track and discuss the weather.

The 80 yesterday was nice but a bit warm. The 2 below feels better than 100 with humidity. I was comfortable for several stretches outside that day. I would never do that when it is 95-100 with humidity.
1 likes   

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7552 Postby dhweather » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:23 pm

SPC has a large part of North Texas under marginal risk for severe weather Thursday night into early Friday.

1 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#7553 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:23 pm

Very Unsettled pattern to End Winter & Start of Spring . . .

2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#7554 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:26 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Very Unsettled pattern to End Winter & Start of Spring . . .

https://s4.gifyu.com/images/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_fh48-180.gif

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I hate this lull in weather activity between winter and spring.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#7555 Postby rwfromkansas » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:44 pm

Got my second COVID shot yesterday and it has knocked me down with fever and aches today. Yuck.

Well, I take it no real cold is coming back. Hopefully will get some storms.
1 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#7556 Postby Haris » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:33 pm

wxman57 wrote:Time to get back on track and discuss the weather.

Thank you! :wink:
4 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#7557 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:15 pm

11 AM update

Storm Season 2021 forum: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=121693
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7558 Postby psyclone » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:22 pm

Any insight as to the extent of damage to the hardy (and not so hardy) palms and semi tropical plants in coastal/south Texas? That was some insane cold, even for tougher species. I know there are some royal palms down around Brownsville and they really don't like cold.
1 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#7559 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:22 pm

psyclone wrote:Any insight as to the extent of damage to the hardy (and not so hardy) palms and semi tropical plants in coastal/south Texas? That was some insane cold, even for tougher species. I know there are some royal palms down around Brownsville and they really don't like cold.

I cannot speak for the damage in South Texas, but here in Southeast Texas, the damage was extreme. Essentially all tropical plants left outside last week were wiped out. Pretty much all plants hardy down to 20 degrees were wiped out including bottlebrushes. Most citrus trees are toast as well. We have several satsuma trees around 20 years old that look like they may be dead or dying. It was 13 degrees last Tuesday morning at my location, which was the coldest recorded temperature since 1989. I am not sure I have ever seen things so brown before in my area. I was not alive in 1989 though.
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#7560 Postby Ntxw » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:00 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
psyclone wrote:Any insight as to the extent of damage to the hardy (and not so hardy) palms and semi tropical plants in coastal/south Texas? That was some insane cold, even for tougher species. I know there are some royal palms down around Brownsville and they really don't like cold.

I cannot speak for the damage in South Texas, but here in Southeast Texas, the damage was extreme. Essentially all tropical plants left outside last week were wiped out. Pretty much all plants hardy down to 20 degrees were wiped out including bottlebrushes. Most citrus trees are toast as well. We have several satsuma trees around 20 years old that look like they may be dead or dying. It was 13 degrees last Tuesday morning at my location, which was the coldest recorded temperature since 1989. I am not sure I have ever seen things so brown before in my area. I was not alive in 1989 though.

Thank you for this! It may also take some time for the damaged flora to be assessed and then more figures will come out in the weeks and months ahead. Right now a lot of the focus is fixing the infrastructure/human relief problem that has probably put a lot of other things on the backburner.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Winter Weather”