Texas Winter 2021-2022

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Haris
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2021-2022

#6461 Postby Haris » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:28 pm

bubba hotep wrote:HRRR showing some freezing rain lifting northward up I35 tomorrow morning. Also, FWD is highlighting some winter mix potential for portions of Eastern DFW tomorrow night into Saturday morning.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/hrrr/2022022502/hrrr_ref_frzn_scus_13.png

I think we all have model fatigue :lol:
4 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6462 Postby gpsnowman » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:17 am

Wet flakes tomorrow morning? Either way, a cold damp day on tap for Saturday
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6463 Postby wxman57 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:36 am

As I watched the temperature reach no higher than 45 yesterday here in Houston, I thought, "how could the weather be even more miserable"? Well, this morning it's 36 and raining. Perfect! At least the temps will slowly moderate upward after today, reaching the 80s in 10 days or so.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#6464 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:05 am

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

I do believe that we're not seeing any more Major Winter Storm systems after the ThunderSleet event, could see minor winter weather events through Mid-March & maybe April, but, this is it.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6465 Postby Edwards Limestone » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:16 am

wxman57 wrote:As I watched the temperature reach no higher than 45 yesterday here in Houston, I thought, "how could the weather be even more miserable"? Well, this morning it's 36 and raining. Perfect! At least the temps will slowly moderate upward after today, reaching the 80s in 10 days or so.

Have to agree with the heat miser here- nothing worse than cold rain in the mid-30s.

We've been very cold, cloudy, and windy here in SA with almost no precip though. Ready for springtime and thunderstorms (hopefully)- we need the rain.
2 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6466 Postby orangeblood » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:22 am

wxman57 wrote:As I watched the temperature reach no higher than 45 yesterday here in Houston, I thought, "how could the weather be even more miserable"? Well, this morning it's 36 and raining. Perfect! At least the temps will slowly moderate upward after today, reaching the 80s in 10 days or so.

And to think the Euro had you reaching a high of 77F yesterday from 48 hrs out/also had DFW with 0.40 inch precip ended up with 0.01 inch ….2 winters in a row of the worst model performances you’ll ever see, throw that model out with the garbage particularly during winter months. It is really really bad!
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#6467 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:24 am

You should go outside and work all day in 90+ degree heat with dp’s in the 70’s and tell me how you feel about it after that.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6468 Postby wxman57 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:55 am

orangeblood wrote:

And to think the Euro had you reaching a high of 77F yesterday from 48 hrs out/also had DFW with 0.40 inch precip ended up with 0.01 inch ….2 winters in a row of the worst model performances you’ll ever see, throw that model out with the garbage particularly during winter months. It is really really bad!

Yeah, as I posted here on Monday, I did not buy the front stalling just to our north as per the GFS & Euro. Cold, dense air just doesn't stop moving south near Houston.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6469 Postby wxman57 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:59 am

Cpv17 wrote:

You should go outside and work all day in 90+ degree heat with dp’s in the 70’s and tell me how you feel about it after that.

Sounds perfect to me! I love 90+ degree weather. When I was in college, I worked for a remodeling company in Fort Worth during the summers. Scraped and caulked a lot of houses and did some roofing in the summer heat. Here in Houston, I've gone on 5-hr bike rides in July. Would much prefer that over biking in temps below 60F. Heat never bothered me as a child, and it certainly doesn't bother me now. What I can't do is go outside and work in 50 degree weather all day. That would be torture.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6470 Postby wxman57 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:00 am

Iceresistance wrote:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

I do believe that we're not seeing any more Major Winter Storm systems after the ThunderSleet event, could see minor winter weather events through Mid-March & maybe April, but, this is it.

I agree with the models - winter is over for Texas (freezing/frozen precip, anyway). Severe weather season is on the horizon.
1 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6471 Postby HockeyTx82 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:16 am

wxman57 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

I agree with the models - winter is over for Texas (freezing/frozen precip, anyway). Severe weather season is on the horizon.

Can we just have rain, skip the severe stuff, and go straight to Summer? I'll trade you a hot September into early October if you can not let us have severe weather...... Deal?
1 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6472 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:30 am

wxman57 wrote:
orangeblood wrote:

Yeah, as I posted here on Monday, I did not buy the front stalling just to our north as per the GFS & Euro. Cold, dense air just doesn't stop moving south near Houston.

If memory serves correct, you also posted a couple of weeks ago that you believed winter was over for the most part and Brent would be chasing tornadoes.

He might have been…if it weren’t for those darn snow plows getting in the way. :D
8 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6473 Postby TropicalTundra » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:40 am

Seeing freezing rain and sleet pop up on radars now around SCTX. Did this show on the models?
1 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6474 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:44 am

@RickMitchellWX — This morning's freeze at DFW was number 32 for this season, the most since 2014-15 when we had 39. This is above the normal of 29, but nowhere near the record of 62. #NBCDFWWeather
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6475 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:48 am

12z Hi-res models might justify winter wx advisories for parts of N & C Texas.
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6476 Postby TropicalTundra » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:50 am

bubba hotep wrote:12z Hi-res models might justify winter wx advisories for parts of N & C Texas.

Yeah I think I only saw about 2 Hi-Res models showing any winter precip at all today or tomorrow. Don't think any globals showed this either.
1 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6477 Postby Portastorm » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:11 am

TropicalTundra wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:12z Hi-res models might justify winter wx advisories for parts of N & C Texas.

Yeah I think I only saw about 2 Hi-Res models showing any winter precip at all today or tomorrow. Don't think any globals showed this either.

We (Austin area) did have a few reports earlier this morning of patchy freezing drizzle which was a surprise. The moisture looks more plentiful to our east but there is some widely scattered stuff headed your way TropicalTundra. Temperatures here are around 32 degrees but a decent chunk of the county is still below freezing. Not sure we will hit the forecasted high of 40 today.
2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#6478 Postby cstrunk » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:22 am

Oh, good. Just what I was looking forward to this weekend. More mid-30's and rain for Saturday/Saturday night. :spam:
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#6479 Postby Cpv17 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:58 am

wxman57 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

Sounds perfect to me! I love 90+ degree weather. When I was in college, I worked for a remodeling company in Fort Worth during the summers. Scraped and caulked a lot of houses and did some roofing in the summer heat. Here in Houston, I've gone on 5-hr bike rides in July. Would much prefer that over biking in temps below 60F. Heat never bothered me as a child, and it certainly doesn't bother me now. What I can't do is go outside and work in 50 degree weather all day. That would be torture.

If that’s the case it sounds to me like you have some bad blood flow. Going outside and busting your butt in 50 degree weather isn’t any issue at all. In fact, I usually have to strip down to just my t-shirt if I’m working outside with weather in the 50’s. If you’re actually working your blood gets flowing so it’s not bad at all. Much better than sweating your butt off and feeling sticky and disgusting all day from sweat and not to mention all the acne I get on my body from sweat. Gross!
1 likes   

DallasAg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6480 Postby DallasAg » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:05 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:@RickMitchellWX — This morning's freeze at DFW was number 32 for this season, the most since 2014-15 when we had 39. This is above the normal of 29, but nowhere near the record of 62. #NBCDFWWeather

Closing in on 60 hours below freezing at DFW. IIRC the early Feb storm only got us below freezing for ~36 hours.
3 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”