Texas Winter 2021-2022

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2021-2022

#6501 Postby bubba hotep » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:33 pm

Graphic from FWD

0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#6502 Postby Texas Snowman » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:00 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

I do believe that we're not seeing any more Major Winter Storm systems after the ThunderSleet event, could see minor winter weather events through Mid-March & maybe April, but, this is it.

I agree with the models - winter is over for Texas (freezing/frozen precip, anyway). Severe weather season is on the horizon.

Don’t look now, but your latest “winter is over for Texas” forecast may have unraveled less than 12 hours later, my friend.

It doesn’t look like very much frozen precip, but Winter Weather Advisories are now up for DFW tomorrow morning.

Hang in there, this pesky February and the winter of 2021-22 will be over soon! :D
5 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6503 Postby jasons2k » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:08 am

So, I have to tell y'all...
I think last night was the coldest my body has ever been. We were at my youngest's baseball game, out in it for 3 hours. I layered-up as best as I could and it was still miserable in that cold wind. I had 5 layers on top and two layers on the bottom. I'm not kidding - I went prepared. But the cold, wet wind still cut right through like a knife. The fields are open and windy. I simply could not get warm or even comfortable. By the time we got back to my wife's vehicle with heated seats, my feet and hands were completely numb. And that was a strange feeling - they felt like bricks on the extremities.

I have lived in Lubbock on the high plains, frequented the New Mexico mountains in winter…and have never felt that cold before. I remember in Lubbock one time it was so cold my tires lost pressure and deflated and I had to change tires in the snow/cold, and I had pour anti-freeze radiator fluid in my car to get it started. This topped it all (although to be fair was out in the elements for a shorter time back then). Every single one of us out there last night was so glad when it was over. We are all ready for baseball weather. Thank goodness we have a warmup in the forecast and March is the beginning of the meteorological spring!!!
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6504 Postby jasons2k » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:40 am

Ugg, I Accidentally deleted your reply! HockleyTX82, :( sorry!!

From the sounds of it, might not be any professional baseball this year.

Also, I'm curious. You said you layered up? I'm sure you had good stuff on but do you have a good thermal first layer that is skin tight? I've got some stuff that keeps me plenty warm with just basic layers. Sorry you had a rough go of it. We all have a little Wxman57 in us....... we just dont like to admit it. :wink:

My reply:

Yes, my first layer was a thermal layer (long johns) like I have worn on my ski strips. My outer layer was my waterproof ski jacket, tried and true in single digits at Angel Fire. It didn't do much good. I think the moisture in the air with the wind gave me a big eff-you.
0 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6505 Postby HockeyTx82 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:44 am

jasons2k wrote:Ugg, I Accidentally deleted your reply! HockleyTX82, :( sorry!!

Also, I'm curious. You said you layered up? I'm sure you had good stuff on but do you have a good thermal first layer that is skin tight? I've got some stuff that keeps me plenty warm with just basic layers. Sorry you had a rough go of it. We all have a little Wxman57 in us....... we just dont like to admit it. :wink:

My reply:

Yes, my first layer was a thermal layer (long johns) like I have worn on my ski strips. My outer layer was my waterproof ski jacket, tried and true in single digits at Angel Fire. It didn't do much good. I think the moisture in the air with the wind gave me a big eff-you.

Ha, no worries. Yeah, a damp cold is like a humid summer day. Moisture makes all the difference.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#6506 Postby cheezyWXguy » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:31 am

I’m not seeing any model showing frozen precip in the dfw metro except for a few blips on the far west side. My low tonight is 36 so I’m not sure what’s up with the WWA
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6507 Postby Ralph's Weather » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:08 am

Low 30s and scattered rain here this morning. SHV is covering this with a special statement for now as impacts are expected to be very minimal. Though they say a WWA is possible.

As of 7am it is 31 to 33 with rain across East Texas. It is in the mid 30s with some drizzle in DFW with near 30 north and west of DFW.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6508 Postby gboudx » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:22 am

jasons2k wrote:So, I have to tell y'all...
I think last night was the coldest my body has ever been. We were at my youngest's baseball game, out in it for 3 hours. I layered-up as best as I could and it was still miserable in that cold wind. I had 5 layers on top and two layers on the bottom. I'm not kidding - I went prepared. But the cold, wet wind still cut right through like a knife. The fields are open and windy. I simply could not get warm or even comfortable. By the time we got back to my wife's vehicle with heated seats, my feet and hands were completely numb. And that was a strange feeling - they felt like bricks on the extremities.

I have lived in Lubbock on the high plains, frequented the New Mexico mountains in winter…and have never felt that cold before. I remember in Lubbock one time it was so cold my tires lost pressure and deflated and I had to change tires in the snow/cold, and I had pour anti-freeze radiator fluid in my car to get it started. This topped it all (although to be fair was out in the elements for a shorter time back then). Every single one of us out there last night was so glad when it was over. We are all ready for baseball weather. Thank goodness we have a warmup in the forecast and March is the beginning of the meteorological spring!!!

I hear ya. Last night was sitting in the cold bleachers for my sons varsity soccer match. 2 hours later my toes were numb and had a burning sensation in the shower. We’ve sat through many cold soccer games, and matches when it was 100 with not a breeze to be found.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6509 Postby jasons2k » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:31 am

gboudx wrote:
jasons2k wrote:So, I have to tell y'all...

I hear ya. Last night was sitting in the cold bleachers for my sons varsity soccer match. 2 hours later my toes were numb and had a burning sensation in the shower. We’ve sat through many cold soccer games, and matches when it was 100 with not a breeze to be found.

Yep. And today, my kid is sick. Not surprised!
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#6510 Postby rwfromkansas » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:36 am

Dry as a bone out there. And above freezing. Weird.
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#6511 Postby Haris » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:47 am

rwfromkansas wrote:Dry as a bone out there. And above freezing. Weird.

Cursed week
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#6512 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:58 pm

Finally above Freezing! Currently 34*F
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

wxman22
Category 3
Category 3

#6513 Postby wxman22 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:15 pm

If this pattern continues through Spring."Traditional" tornado alley(central/southern plains)may be very active this tornado season.The plains are overdue for an active severe weather season.
2 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6514 Postby Ralph's Weather » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:36 pm

East Texas is seeing snow, sleet and rain today.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#6515 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:08 pm

wxman22 wrote:If this pattern continues through Spring."Traditional" tornado alley(central/southern plains)may be very active this tornado season.The plains are overdue for an active severe weather season.

I haven't had an active Spring Storm season since 2019.

And I strongly agree on the overdue bad storm season.

The question is not if, it's when it's going to happen.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6516 Postby Ralph's Weather » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:17 pm

34 and heavy rain in Tyler
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#6517 Postby Cpv17 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:24 pm

wxman22 wrote:If this pattern continues through Spring."Traditional" tornado alley(central/southern plains)may be very active this tornado season.The plains are overdue for an active severe weather season.

I sure hope not but we could be entering a pretty bad drought coming up.
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6518 Postby gpsnowman » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:38 pm

Some green has been showing on radar but I don't think it is reaching the ground. I saw some sprinkles around 4 in the morning but that is it.
0 likes   

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#6519 Postby cstrunk » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:04 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:East Texas is seeing snow, sleet and rain today.

Just cold rain in Longview.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6520 Postby Brent » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:53 pm

I never thought 40 would be feel so warm but here we are

Ice melt underway in force today. I'm so ready for the warmup. 75 on Wednesday is gonna feel like summer
1 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “Winter Weather”