Texas Winter 2021-2022

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2021-2022

#2881 Postby HockeyTx82 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:45 am

Iceresistance wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:

Because it's 2 weeks out, experimental and the way winter is going why get emotionally involved. And it's not even for Texas.....

I do want to point out that the risk of Heavy Snow has moved further South, last time, it was in NE Kansas, now it's at the OK/KS Border.

I do admire your enthusiasm and passion. I think us older folks, I'm turning 40 this year, have had too many ups and downs with winter weather. I've lived in DFW my enitre life. When I was your age you are now we did not have the tools as our disposal via the internet to do what we do now on this board. You basically watched the local news and even then they were wrong when it came to snow. It's a great time to be alive but as wxman57 has proven time and time again 2 weeks out is garbage. Over the years as you experience weather events you will gain knowledge from that and be a better weatherman for it.
11 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2882 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:56 am

Sunday-Monday is looking very good from the WPC

https://s10.gifyu.com/images/d13_fill.gif
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2883 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:57 am

Ntxw wrote:Icon snows west of DFW this week. Looks like Abilene bullseye this run.

Sneaky shortwave.

Rgem and nam are pretty close. HP up north feeding CAA while separation of Lower heights to the NE.

The Euro EPS has one of the stronger signals this winter, with close to 50% of members showing snow for North TX and Oklahoma in that same timeframe centered on the 27th & 28th.
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2884 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:59 am

bubba hotep wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Icon snows west of DFW this week. Looks like Abilene bullseye this run.

Sneaky shortwave.

Rgem and nam are pretty close. HP up north feeding CAA while separation of Lower heights to the NE.

The Euro EPS has one of the stronger signals this winter, with close to 50% of members showing snow for North TX and Oklahoma in that same timeframe centered on the 27th & 28th.

15/20 (75%) Members have snow for Oklahoma &/or Texas mostly around the 26th-28th on the 6z GEFS.
3 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2885 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:03 am

GFS OP has seen some shifts to favorable the past few cycles. It's starting to hold more back and increasing HP strength.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2886 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:13 am

Big change on the 12z GFS. With so many s/w in the flow, It's hard to tell if this is a new s/w or just more energy hanging back.

12z

vs. 00z

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2887 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:18 am

bubba hotep wrote:Big change on the 12z GFS. With so many s/w in the flow, It's hard to tell if this is a new s/w or just more energy hanging back.

12z

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2022012212/gfs_z500_vort_us_19.png

vs. 00z

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2022012200/gfs_z500_vort_us_21.png

There was some chaotic in the flow end of February, 2015. Couple of events that culminated in a surprise snow on the 27th that was largely forecasted to be in the higher elevation of west Texas. Snow bands came through and persisted resulting in the a few inches.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/dailywxmap/index_20150224.html
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2888 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:39 am

12z CMC looks good at 96hrs but shears this out across Texas over the following few panels.

1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2889 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:45 am

I do want to point out that some 12z GEFS Members has a Secondary system from Thursday to Friday
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#2890 Postby Haris » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:23 pm

Euro gets close
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#2891 Postby Haris » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:00 pm

Iceresistance wrote:Sunday-Monday is looking very good from the WPC

Not really. Trends have been drier. That’s only a quarter inch or so for CTX which is nothing for drought
2 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

WinterMax
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#2892 Postby WinterMax » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:07 pm

Iceresistance wrote:I do want to point out that some 12z GEFS Members has a Secondary system from Thursday to Friday

NWS out of Lake Charles La is giving a 20% chance of snow here in South Central Louisiana thursday night, I just figured it was a mistake.
0 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#2893 Postby rwfromkansas » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:26 pm

HockeyTx82 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:
Because it's 2 weeks out, experimental and the way winter is going why get emotionally involved. And it's not even for Texas.....

I do want to point out that the risk of Heavy Snow has moved further South, last time, it was in NE Kansas, now it's at the OK/KS Border.

I do admire your enthusiasm and passion. I think us older folks, I'm turning 40 this year, have had too many ups and downs with winter weather. I've lived in DFW my enitre life. When I was your age you are now we did not have the tools as our disposal via the internet to do what we do now on this board. You basically watched the local news and even then they were wrong when it came to snow. It's a great time to be alive but as wxman57 has proven time and time again 2 weeks out is garbage. Over the years as you experience weather events you will gain knowledge from that and be a better weatherman for it.

I remember the early days of model watching. It was fun, but man, they were often so wrong and had last-minute shifts all the time. I started really getting into weather around 2000…roughly age 18 also. Geez, feel old now. I don’t know how 20 years can go by so fast anymore.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2894 Postby Brent » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 pm

bubba hotep wrote:12z CMC looks good at 96hrs but shears this out across Texas over the following few panels.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gem/2022012212/gem_z500_vort_us_17.png

Why does everything keep falling apart? Bet it blows up east of us again :spam: I'm over it
2 likes   
#neversummer

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2895 Postby HockeyTx82 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:00 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

I remember the early days of model watching. It was fun, but man, they were often so wrong and had last-minute shifts all the time. I started really getting into weather around 2000…roughly age 18 also. Geez, feel old now. I don’t know how 20 years can go by so fast anymore.

I hear that. Blink of an eye it seems like. I will say I am very blessed to still have my amost 96 year old grandma still with us and very much still there mentally. The stories of Winter storms growing up in Iowa would make all of you envious. My grandfather, God rest his soul, worked on the Alaskan Highway project. It was so cold your lungs would freeze if went outside some days from what he told me. They did not have the gear we do today either. He grew up on a farm in Missouri and had all kinds of wild weather stories he shared with me. He was also a B-25 Bomber pilot in the Pacific during WW2.

I can't imagine what 20 years feels like when you are almost 96 years old. When you are little 10 min seems forever. When you get older times flys by.
3 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2896 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:05 pm

HockeyTx82 wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:

I hear that. Blink of an eye it seems like. I will say I am very blessed to still have my amost 96 year old grandma still with us and very much still there mentally. The stories of Winter storms growing up in Iowa would make all of you envious. My grandfather, God rest his soul, worked on the Alaskan Highway project. It was so cold your lungs would freeze if went outside some days from what he told me. They did not have the gear we do today either. He grew up on a farm in Missouri and had all kinds of wild weather stories he shared with me. He was also a B-25 Bomber pilot in the Pacific during WW2.

I can't imagine what 20 years feels like when you are almost 96 years old. When you are little 10 min seems forever. When you get older times flys by.

Great post. That generation was so much tougher and wiser than the Boomers and especially the younger generations.
3 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#2897 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:52 pm

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:

Great post. That generation was so much tougher and wiser than the Boomers and especially the younger generations.

Let’s get back on topic. Gfs run 18z shows a little snow around southeast Texas. The current pattern does support these kinds of events.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2898 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:59 pm

The MJO is giving the models an absolute fit, I don't trust even 5 days out anymore until the MJO is back in action.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2899 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:02 pm

Iceresistance wrote:The MJO is giving the models an absolute fit, I don't trust even 5 days out anymore until the MJO is back in action.

When the MJO is in the circle of the uncertainty the models have an extremely low accuracy outside of a few days.
0 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2900 Postby Iceresistance » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:15 pm

BenNollWeather likes the East Coast snow, but he's seeing a pattern flip in February

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/status/1484203818820771842

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Return to “Winter Weather”