Texas Winter 2021-2022

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2021-2022

#2921 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:03 am

Brent wrote:GFS has that midweek wave trying to be interesting up here again. Definitely some accumulating snow

Oh yes, I'm expecting a good amount of snow from the 0z GFS
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2922 Postby Brent » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:08 am

Iceresistance wrote:
Brent wrote:GFS has that midweek wave trying to be interesting up here again. Definitely some accumulating snow

Well see if it holds up I dunno yet :lol: how do the ensembles look

Also the day 10 CMC has a winter storm developing
0 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2923 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:09 am

Brent wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

Well see if it holds up I dunno yet :lol: how do the ensembles look

Also the day 10 CMC has a winter storm developing

The GEFS does have a snowfall signal, but not much snow.
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2924 Postby orangeblood » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:33 am

February is almost always the month for Texas winter weather...can it deliver this year ? Long Range guidance is definitely looking promising. With Arctic Cold pressing/Southeast Ridge popping back up, this could set a favorable battle ground from the Southern Plains to Great Lakes. Here are the 5 day anomalies for both Temp and Precip to start February

3 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2925 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 am

Weather looks mostly "normal", temperature-wise over the next couple of weeks. We'll likely see the 70s for a few days next week, maybe low 60s over the coming weekend. That may allow me to escape my electric blanket for a bit. No significant winter weather for TX the next couple of weeks. No freezes for Houston indicated. I got a half inch of rain with the front last week, and it's raining this morning.
0 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2926 Postby orangeblood » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:05 am

wxman57 wrote:Weather looks mostly "normal", temperature-wise over the next couple of weeks. We'll likely see the 70s for a few days next week, maybe low 60s over the coming weekend. That may allow me to escape my electric blanket for a bit. No significant winter weather for TX the next couple of weeks. No freezes for Houston indicated. I got a half inch of rain with the front last week, and it's raining this morning.

GEFS members say otherwise....numerous members really aggressive on winter weather starting the 1st week of Feb

1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#2927 Postby wxman57 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 am

orangeblood wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Weather looks mostly "normal", temperature-wise over the next couple of weeks. We'll likely see the 70s for a few days next week, maybe low 60s over the coming weekend. That may allow me to escape my electric blanket for a bit. No significant winter weather for TX the next couple of weeks. No freezes for Houston indicated. I got a half inch of rain with the front last week, and it's raining this morning.

GEFS members say otherwise....numerous members really aggressive on winter weather starting the 1st week of Feb

https://images.weatherbell.com/model/gfs-ensemble-all-avg/tx/precip_6hr_ptype_multimember_panel/1643004000/1643868000-HK5TNwnI7kw.png
https://images.weatherbell.com/model/gfs-ensemble-all-avg/tx/precip_6hr_ptype_multimember_panel/1643004000/1644084000-rLnRjLH4fBw.png

Well, I don't know if 3-5 members out of 30 = numerous. The vast majority 80%+ indicate nothing significant. Looking like rapid zonal flow in the GFS & Euro without much deep cold air around.
3 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#2928 Postby rwfromkansas » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:27 am

FWD says not to expect anything Wednesday.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2929 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:52 am

12z GFS is showing a Secondary system with Rain/Snow mix just after the first system across Oklahoma Thursday Night-Friday.

Also Jeez on the long range.
3 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2930 Postby orangeblood » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:13 pm

wxman57 wrote:
orangeblood wrote:

https://images.weatherbell.com/model/gfs-ensemble-all-avg/tx/precip_6hr_ptype_multimember_panel/1643004000/1643868000-HK5TNwnI7kw.png
https://images.weatherbell.com/model/gfs-ensemble-all-avg/tx/precip_6hr_ptype_multimember_panel/1643004000/1644084000-rLnRjLH4fBw.png

Well, I don't know if 3-5 members out of 30 = numerous. The vast majority 80%+ indicate nothing significant. Looking like rapid zonal flow in the GFS & Euro without much deep cold air around.

And how many times over the years have we seen the Operational Models (besides the Canadian) not have a clue how to handle shallow Arctic Airmasses ?? This 5H chart is almost textbook for ice/sleet in the southern plains...Polar Jet screaming due south out of the Arctic Circle, PV heading towards Great Lakes and UL Trough digging into So Cal.

4 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#2931 Postby Haris » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:37 pm

We did see how the GEFS really overestimated the winter threat last week and caved last min, so I am pretty reserved of what its showing. That said, I'd love a change in Feb
5 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

txtwister78
Category 4
Category 4

#2932 Postby txtwister78 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:04 pm

Haris wrote:We did see how the GEFS really overestimated the winter threat last week and caved last min, so I am pretty reserved of what its showing. That said, I'd love a change in Feb

Agreed. Anything beyond 5 days to me is suspect at this point. I think with the SE ridge likely to come back in some form, the key will be how much of that is pushed into TX and how strong is it in terms of pattern influence like we saw in December. Yes, the cold may try to push across the NW and plains but how far south can it go before meeting resistance/moderating is obviously going to be key. Perhaps a positive would be more precip if we can get a clash of airmasses and a more active SJ going but again at hour 240 it's really all speculative (the pattern in general) despite whatever the models are showing today.
3 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2933 Postby orangeblood » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:24 pm

txtwister78 wrote:
Haris wrote:We did see how the GEFS really overestimated the winter threat last week and caved last min, so I am pretty reserved of what its showing. That said, I'd love a change in Feb

Agreed. Anything beyond 5 days to me is suspect at this point. I think with the SE ridge likely to come back in some form, the key will be how much of that is pushed into TX and how strong is it in terms of pattern influence like we saw in December. Yes, the cold may try to push across the NW and plains but how far south can it go before meeting resistance/moderating is obviously going to be key. Perhaps a positive would be more precip if we can get a clash of airmasses and a more active SJ going but again at hour 240 it's really all speculative despite whatever the models are showing today.

Of course but would this board even exist without some form of speculation ?
5 likes   

Texas Snow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2934 Postby Texas Snow » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:45 pm

orangeblood wrote:Of course but would this board even exist without some form of speculation ?

We could just exchange snow pics.

Oh wait...
3 likes   
"Don't let wishcastin get in the way of your forecastin"

txtwister78
Category 4
Category 4

#2935 Postby txtwister78 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:55 pm

orangeblood wrote:
txtwister78 wrote:

Agreed. Anything beyond 5 days to me is suspect at this point. I think with the SE ridge likely to come back in some form, the key will be how much of that is pushed into TX and how strong is it in terms of pattern influence like we saw in December. Yes, the cold may try to push across the NW and plains but how far south can it go before meeting resistance/moderating is obviously going to be key. Perhaps a positive would be more precip if we can get a clash of airmasses and a more active SJ going but again at hour 240 it's really all speculative despite whatever the models are showing today.

No, I get it and I think we all want certain patterns like that with potential to deliver (minus one Individual perhaps who shall remain nameless), because it makes things more exciting/interesting on here for sure, but I also don't see anything wrong with mixing in a little weather "reality" as well from time to time while we wait. I mean don't get me wrong I would love to get on here every day and look at a GFS OP or ENS run and say that's the "big ticket storm for TX" 10 days out but for one I'm not that good and secondly, I know better just based on model error/correction along with pattern changes that can occur due to a variety of factors that are obviously unknown to us that far out.

On the flip, the fun part is also going out on a limb and being able to detect a pattern via recognition and saying, "this looks good". Nothing wrong with that either. I think Feb 2021 was that for me despite models being back and forth (even several days out). The source region was a good indicator along with what we were seeing on the 500 mb so what you posted may very well come to fruition next week or it may just end up being "another model output" 240 hours out. Definitely something to watch no doubt though as we move ahead.
6 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#2936 Postby Cerlin » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:24 pm

If we want to talk about current weather, it appears DFW (and most of east Texas) is getting some much needed rain right now. If you can't have snow, a rain event is always a good backup plan.
4 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2937 Postby Brent » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 pm

Wednesday night trying to be interesting up here still

4 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#2938 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:49 pm

Brent wrote:Wednesday night trying to be interesting up here still

https://i.ibb.co/8KNpVFb/image1-9.png

NWS-Norman has up to 1 inch of snow.
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2939 Postby Brent » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:07 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
Brent wrote:Wednesday night trying to be interesting up here still

https://i.ibb.co/8KNpVFb/image1-9.png

NWS-Norman has up to 1 inch of snow.

It is the long range NAM but this looks interesting. Evidence of higher totals in bands. A sneaky setup maybe?

Last edited by Brent on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
#neversummer

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2940 Postby Portastorm » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:10 pm

orangeblood wrote:
txtwister78 wrote:

God love ya, orangeblood! Every winter you fight the good here and are usually one of our first members to spot a possible sign of hope in the long range. You're absolutely right about the nature of our speculative posts. I would guess that the majority of our time spent on this forum in winter is filled with just that ... speculation. So you just keep on, keeping on!

We all know wxman57 will keep us grounded in reality. So it's those moments when he actually gets bullish on Texas winter weather that we can get a smile on our face and know that something legit is very possible.

The Metroplexers need their winter storm. That's next on our To Do list. :wink:
7 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Return to “Winter Weather”