Four Corners/ Front Range Winter Thread

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

Four Corners/ Front Range Winter Thread

#1 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:47 am

Hello board! I'm an active person on this forum. I used to live in Missouri City/Sugar Land, TX area, now live just west of Denver in the foothills.

Looks like we may have our first major storm coming in just over a weeks time. Would be my first major event while being in CO.
Last edited by TeamPlayersBlue on Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Four Corners/ Front Range '21-'22 Winter Thread

#2 Postby Ntxw » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:12 pm

You're going to get so much snow early and late while we all can only dream of it! Excited to see your reports and input from that area!
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:36 am

https://www.weather.gov/media/bou/ENSOl ... mpacts.pdf

Above is a fantastic analysis on the ENSO impact on precipitation/snowfall in the state of Colorado. It's not as cut and dry as it seems, and this link provides lots of data for many different stations around the state.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:59 pm

This pattern is currently horrendous for cool/snowy weather in the Colorado region, even worse for the front range. When the switch occurs, i think it will occur in a big and intense way. I'm not entirely familiar with the dynamics which occur in the Oct-Nov months for La nina, but currently it's not good for us. Denver is approaching its latest first snowfall record. Looks like it's a good bet that we will set the record. Currently have not had any significant canadian highs rush down the spine of the rockies to produce the typical, seasonal snowfalls here. The mountains are getting some snow when the jet stream rushes over them, but nothing in the front range. LEt's hope things change soon. Currently, there is nothing to be excited about on the model front.
1 likes   

disneymanda
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby disneymanda » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:25 am

My husband and I just moved from HTown (Spring Branch area) too. Waiting on first snowfall but I feel like I might be waiting a while. We are in far southeast Colorado. Baca County
2 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:03 am

Nice! Yeah, apparently we are bad luck. Looking at a snow on Friday, which will at least seal the record. One for the books. The mountains are gaining much more snow with this system. Hopefully we can get some upslope storms or strong fronts coming down the plains around Christmas. We really need to moisture as well.
1 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:24 pm

So glad to see this thread started!! We have had very little participation from Colorado over the years. You guys need talk up STORM2K to all your new friends in Colorado!! Great to see 2 Houston area peeps setting this up too!
5 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

disneymanda
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8 Postby disneymanda » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:31 am

Look like winter ❄️ is picking up! I can’t wait to see what happens for New Year’s! I am told by neighbors that we don’t get much snow in this part of the state but that is probably still more than what I have experienced living my whole life in HTown.
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#9 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:08 am

Thankfully the snowpack is growing rapidly in northern NM as there was very little early winter snow there. Another foot or so for the mountains with this storm.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:50 am

The last ten days has been remarkable for the snowpack in CO. On NYE night and NY day, I received 8" just west of Denver.

We have another snow event coming this week. This one is an upslope storm and were expecting around 5" in my area. Glad to see some of you contributing! I've been super busy running around as of late but I will post more pics and info in the future.
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:16 am

Currently in Crested Butte and wow there is alot of snow here. Massive drifts here like i haent seen for a while.

For the Denver area, might get a couple of inches today, but another system coming in on Thursday. I've enjoyed really understanding what brings the white stuff to certain areas of the state. Lets hope the second half of winter brings us more white stuff then the first half!
1 likes   

DallasAg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby DallasAg » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:23 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Currently in Crested Butte and wow there is alot of snow here. Massive drifts here like i haent seen for a while.

For the Denver area, might get a couple of inches today, but another system coming in on Thursday. I've enjoyed really understanding what brings the white stuff to certain areas of the state. Lets hope the second half of winter brings us more white stuff then the first half!

I was in CB for the week between Christmas and New Years. It started snowing about 2:00a on the 26th and didn't stop until early on New Year's Day. Nearly 5 feet of snow over the course of the week. With all of the visitors in town for the holidays it made snow removal very challenging, but the skiing was terrific. Looks like they've only had a couple of dustings since then. Beautiful part of the state - enjoy your visit!
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:44 pm

Solid snow expected today. Expecting 6-12" in the foothills, with heavy snow starting after 5pm. All depends on where the low sets up, to create upslope flow into the region. The dynamics with this one have been changing with every model run.
1 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:15 pm

Northern NM is getting another big snow storm today. They have already had 1 to 2 feet this month with 1 to 2 feet expected with the current storm.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:31 pm

Denver fell to -7*F this morning, just 4*F shy of the all-time March record
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:22 am

Looks like northern NM mountains got 2 to 3 feet so far this week. Around 4 feet this month at resort level. I'm sure the peaks have had 6 to 8 feet this month.
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:43 am

Yeah they were dumped on reeeeallly good. Drove back from Texas through it last Thursday.

Looking ahead to next monday, looks like a very large storm is possible. I will post totals once the model is finished running, but some of the totals will certainly go viral. The GFS doesnt have the scale to interpret the amount of snow it's showing.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:59 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Yeah they were dumped on reeeeallly good. Drove back from Texas through it last Thursday.

Looking ahead to next monday, looks like a very large storm is possible. I will post totals once the model is finished running, but some of the totals will certainly go viral. The GFS doesnt have the scale to interpret the amount of snow it's showing.

College of DuPage & Pivotal Weather has the Kuchera Ratio snowfall, which can interpret the snowfall more accurately compared to the 10:1 Ratio, which is useless up there.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:30 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Yeah they were dumped on reeeeallly good. Drove back from Texas through it last Thursday.

College of DuPage & Pivotal Weather has the Kuchera Ratio snowfall, which can interpret the snowfall more accurately compared to the 10:1 Ratio, which is useless up there.

True, i would need a link, but the GFS put out 5.2" of liquid for next monday in the latest run.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:48 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:

True, i would need a link, but the GFS put out 5.2" of liquid for next monday in the latest run.

Pivotal Weather: https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php
College of DuPage: https://weather.cod.edu/forecast/
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Return to “Winter Weather”