Texas Winter 2022-2023

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

Re: Texas Winter 2022-2023

#5841 Postby Quixotic » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:24 pm

Gotwood wrote:
Quixotic wrote:Hope I’m right and this ends up busting.

Looks like that right now. Seems like hot water is falling from the sky because it’s not freezing and taking all the ice with it.

It’s 28 here and already getting icicles.
1 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5842 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:25 pm

Freezing rain coming down fairly steady now
0 likes   

Gotwood
Category 1
Category 1

#5843 Postby Gotwood » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:26 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Gotwood wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
You have to consider though, it doesn't mean the water isn't freezing. The sleet by nature is colder than the rain before it freezes, thus the liquid melts some of the sleet. It's about accretion with the ZR, slow freeze.

I agree but it isn’t even sticking fast to cars or anything.

It's not supposed to. It's unfrozen water, it's slow. This is why I've said freezing rain isn't visually interesting.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/210/

I understand. Just figured with the temps being in the upper 20s and the area being below freezing since Sunday I expected it to freeze quicker.
0 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5844 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:27 pm

Bridges and flyovers are quickly going to crap
1 likes   

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5845 Postby orangeblood » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:27 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Gotwood wrote:
Quixotic wrote:Hope I’m right and this ends up busting.

Looks like that right now. Seems like hot water is falling from the sky because it’s not freezing and taking all the ice with it.

You have to consider though, it doesn't mean the water isn't freezing. The sleet by nature is colder than the rain before it freezes, thus the liquid melts some of the sleet. It's about accretion with the ZR, slow freeze.

Very true, the threat to the public has shifted from ice on main roads to accretion on Trees/Power lines which can be far more impactful. Doesn’t mean roads still aren’t an issue in spots (particularly bridges), just the focus of the impacts are evolving due to physical properties of the precip changing
Last edited by orangeblood on Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5846 Postby Ntxw » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:29 pm

orangeblood wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
Gotwood wrote:Looks like that right now. Seems like hot water is falling from the sky because it’s not freezing and taking all the ice with it.

Very true, the threat to the public has shifted from icy roads on main roads to accretion on Trees/Power lines which can be far more impactful. Doesn’t mean roads still aren’t an issue in spots (particularly bridges), just the focus of the impacts is evolving due to physical properties of the precip changing

I certainly hope it turns out too warm and just rain. But unless you are 32F or above, water is water and it will freeze eventually.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

snowballzzz
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#5847 Postby snowballzzz » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:31 pm

Rain coming down the hardest it has today here near Bowie. Still at 28 degrees. A degree or two could make a huge difference if this continues throughout the day/night tonight. Fingers crossed that we get above freezing this evening/tonight.
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5848 Postby gpsnowman » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:35 pm

Steady light rain has been falling for a while now. Icicles forming on street signs, cars and other objects. No bueno.
0 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5849 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:35 pm

Our local skywarn supervisor seems to think that the dry air will hold and we will luck out. Let’s hope.
0 likes   
#neversummer

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5850 Postby HockeyTx82 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:38 pm

My thermometer says 28, hard rain coming down. Streets are just slushy now and still slick. My car oddly enough is thawing out too. Guess like it was said does not freeze on contact. I assume it's heated from above plus friction on the way down. Curious how this all ends up.

Waiting for a decision on tomorrow, might be game time or just a delay from a school and work standpoint.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Texas Snow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5851 Postby Texas Snow » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:40 pm

I too thought it was more melting at my house as the ground ice is thinning out in places in 29 degree light rain.

However I started watching my grill closely about an hour ago and the icicles are definitely growing. So while the ground may or may not hold, I think the trees are soon to start having troubles.
1 likes   
"Don't let wishcastin get in the way of your forecastin"

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#5852 Postby Ntxw » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:42 pm

Texas Snow wrote:I too thought it was more melting at my house as the ground ice is thinning out in places in 29 degree light rain.

However I started watching my grill closely about an hour ago and the icicles are definitely growing. So while the ground may or may not hold, I think the trees are soon to start having troubles.

Yes watch the vegetation and objects. The same is happening to the power lines. That'll be the issue. The ground will glaze eventually.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5853 Postby TropicalTundra » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:47 pm

Getting freezing rain again at 28 degrees. Temp hasn’t changed at all. We’re in for a bumpy ride
0 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#5854 Postby JDawg512 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:58 pm

While I know there's a lot going on across the state, things are pretty bad with the ice here in Austin, still getting freezing rain. More tree branches are cracking and falling. I thought maybe the temp was warming but it doesn't look like it as there's more ice building on the trees. I don't like this one bit. Love rain when it doesn't freeze...
3 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Gotwood
Category 1
Category 1

#5855 Postby Gotwood » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:01 pm

HockeyTx82 wrote:My thermometer says 28, hard rain coming down. Streets are just slushy now and still slick. My car oddly enough is thawing out too. Guess like it was said does not freeze on contact. I assume it's heated from above plus friction on the way down. Curious how this all ends up.

Waiting for a decision on tomorrow, might be game time or just a delay from a school and work standpoint.

Has to be some dynamic with the sun. I’ve experienced plenty of freezing rain and don’t remember waiting for it to freeze on surfaces like cars. Maybe it will get worse after dark.
1 likes   

cstrunk
Category 1
Category 1

#5856 Postby cstrunk » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:03 pm

During the daytime there's still enough solar radiation even when it's cloudy to melt snow/ice on surfaces including the ground when temperatures are close enough to but still below freezing (29-32F).

There's more surface area on limbs and powerlines for it to keep accumulating because of the cold air around it.

When the sun goes down it's all about air temperature.
2 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5857 Postby HockeyTx82 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:04 pm

Well both Ponder ISD and UNT Denton are closed tomorrow.

Just got the call and email from both.

4 days in a row now.

So glad Pete Delkus was on top of this.
1 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#5858 Postby somethingfunny » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:07 pm

CaptinCrunch wrote:
somethingfunny wrote:
ColdFusion wrote:
I thought it was raining here, but it's just water running off from the ice on the roof going thru a pretty rapid melting. Most roofs on my street are almost ice free now.

My front sidewalk and driveway are almost clear from ice as well. I was all under a fairly think sheet of compacted sleet when I went to bed last night. I don't have a thermometer, but finding it hard to believe we are below 30 with this kind of thaw occuring, but cant say for sure.

Not what I expected today, but I'll take it.

I might even be able to make it to the liquor store in a little bit :D

Same here in McKinney, tree branches and bushes and vehicles that were cased in ice last night are just wet now. Temperature in the mid-20s but I guess the raindrops and the sunlight are warm enough to prevent the major ice storm here.

Not the case here, streets and rooftops still covered though not 100%

We stay below freezing so we will have issues with any precipitation that comes, especially over night and into tomorrow morning. Most bus barns will make call by 6am on whether it's safe to run.

Oh streets and rooftops are mostly covered here too and streets will be the worst they've been all week once the sun sets here today.. but the trees and power lines seem to have shed their load today thankfully
2 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

iorange55
Category 5
Category 5

#5859 Postby iorange55 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:11 pm

Gotwood wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:My thermometer says 28, hard rain coming down. Streets are just slushy now and still slick. My car oddly enough is thawing out too. Guess like it was said does not freeze on contact. I assume it's heated from above plus friction on the way down. Curious how this all ends up.

Has to be some dynamic with the sun. I’ve experienced plenty of freezing rain and don’t remember waiting for it to freeze on surfaces like cars. Maybe it will get worse after dark.

In your experience, you've seen raindrops fall from the sky, land on a car and instantly turn to ice?
0 likes   

Gotwood
Category 1
Category 1

#5860 Postby Gotwood » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:21 pm

iorange55 wrote:
Gotwood wrote:

In your experience, you've seen raindrops fall from the sky, land on a car and instantly turn to ice?

Not always instantly but definitely didn’t take hours either.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”