Texas Winter 2022-2023

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2022-2023

#581 Postby Edwards Limestone » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:21 pm

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:
Edwards Limestone wrote:Is wxman just trolling us a little? He seems to be alone in here vs. our other pros.

He hedges in his statement with words like “for now”….

But yeah, I think he’s challenging some of the posters here to show their work…. Like the Professor did.

All I know is this…. When my clients start chirping and my trading buddies go all in, I’m positive something is coming. They are usually the last to be IN on the Arctic pattern change.

Nat gas is taking off again today, up 5% so I think you (and they) are definitely thinking that way...
2 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#582 Postby txtwister78 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:50 pm

That's insane cold on the Euro ENS.

Last edited by txtwister78 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#583 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:51 pm

OP Euro with the EPO literally off the scales!
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#584 Postby Ntxw » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:05 pm

Severe cold is definitely on the table now. As noted earlier we get blinks of it because the time frame is too far out but as the period gets closer it becomes louder. It's a gradual succession of air masses beginning middle of the new week.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

harp
Category 2
Category 2

#585 Postby harp » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:18 pm

Ntxw wrote:Severe cold is definitely on the table now. As noted earlier we get blinks of it because the time frame is too far out but as the period gets closer it becomes louder. It's a gradual succession of air masses beginning middle of the new week.

Yes, the question remains, will it be with moisture or bone dry…. ? ?
0 likes   

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#586 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:18 pm

Oh my… stunningly gorgeous!
1 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#587 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:19 pm

harp wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Severe cold is definitely on the table now. As noted earlier we get blinks of it because the time frame is too far out but as the period gets closer it becomes louder. It's a gradual succession of air masses beginning middle of the new week.

Yes, the question remains, will it be with moisture or bone dry…. ? ?

I prefer snow, but I’ll take bone dry and frigid over the crap we have today.
1 likes   
#NeverSummer

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#588 Postby HockeyTx82 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:22 pm

OK so are we still in la la fantasy land or is this getting real. And how cold are we talking if that were to materialize, the post above.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#589 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:24 pm

Heart, be still.

Amazing flow. You even see the Siberian hang down trying to violate us. Cali probably doesn’t mind though.
2 likes   
#NeverSummer

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#590 Postby HockeyTx82 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:26 pm

What are you posting and how often do we have images like this. Do these tend to show up every Winter and it never materialize.
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#591 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:31 pm

HockeyTx82 wrote:

What are you posting and how often do we have images like this. Do these tend to show up every Winter and it never materialize.

Top is Euro ensembles on 12/23. Just a textbook map of what you want down here from an upper level perspective.

Bottom is a great example of what you want our flow to look like if cold is coming.
0 likes   
#NeverSummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#592 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:41 pm

1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#593 Postby Ntxw » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:46 pm

HockeyTx82 wrote:

OK so are we still in la la fantasy land or is this getting real. And how cold are we talking if that were to materialize, the post above.

The potential big cold is not in realistic range yet. In general the playbook hasn't changed. The idea of 15th through Christmas is going to gradually get colder stands. Somewhere in the backend of that has the chance to discharge severe cold. The OP models are catching up to the consensus not the other way around.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#594 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:52 pm

orangeblood wrote:Latest Euro Op about to lay the Arctic hammer down across lower 48 day 9-10…PV crashing into Great Lakes with 1060 HP forming in NW Canada. Pattern is ripe for this scenario

https://images.weatherbell.com/model/ecmwf-deterministic/namer/z500_anom/1670587200/1671429600-mo2gL5iJQgI.png

https://images.weatherbell.com/model/ecmwf-deterministic/namer/mslp_anom/1670587200/16%20%2071429600-SLn2DB0Q8n4.png

Leading up to an arctic blast, cant draw it up any better. Attempting to remain calm......

It is 9-10 days out but if you look at the large anomalies which lead up to this scenario, those large anomalies are consistent on all model runs.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#595 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:54 pm

Ntxw wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:

The potential big cold is not in realistic range yet. In general the playbook hasn't changed. The idea of 15th through Christmas is going to gradually get colder stands. Somewhere in the backend of that has the chance to discharge severe cold. The OP models are catching up to the consensus not the other way around.

I’m still of the belief that our “ringer” front comes around Christmas or shortly after and we stay in the ice box through January 3-5, roughly. But we will be below normal from the 15th through the first week of January.
2 likes   
#NeverSummer

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#596 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:55 pm

Someone tell South Texas Storms to go thump wxman57 on the head and let him know, he needs to head to Australia.
3 likes   
#NeverSummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#597 Postby Ntxw » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:56 pm

Ntxw wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:

I’m still of the belief that our “ringer” front comes around Christmas or shortly after and we stay in the ice box through January 3-5, roughly. But we will be below normal from the 15th through the first week of January.

I kind of see as the week before Valentines week when it was below normal and hovering near/below freezing we all thought the big cold wasn't coming. Wxman57 touted Euro was warm and not yet cold up north and so on in the opening days of Feb 2021. It took about 7-10 days later before the real stuff showed up.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

orangeblood
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#598 Postby orangeblood » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:57 pm

3-4 Standard Deviation Ridge above normal for a Mean across
Alaska this far out is about the best indicator you’ll find for a lower 48 Severe Outbreak week 2 forecast. Like you discussed earlier, this doesn’t look like a very difficult forecast for an outbreak…it’s just a matter of how severe at this point

Side note: The 3 most populated regions in the northern hemisphere are about to get hit pretty hard…should be very concerning for our energy supplies going forward if this drags on too long

1 likes   

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#599 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:58 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

I kind of see as the week before Valentines week when it was below normal and hovering near/below freezing we all thought the big cold wasn't coming. Wxman57 touted Euro was warm and not yet cold up north and so on in the opening days of Feb 2021. It took about 7-10 days later before the real stuff showed up.

Meaning you see late next week through the 23rd like that week? If so, I agree.
1 likes   
#NeverSummer

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#600 Postby South Texas Storms » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:59 pm

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:Someone tell South Texas Storms to go thump wxman57 on the head and let him know, he needs to head to Australia.

I think he's aware the cold is coming...he just doesn't want to accept it yet. My long-range coworker and I have been calling for a colder weather pattern to return in late December since Thanksgiving, but wxman keeps calling us cold misers.

He'll come around soon enough.
5 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”