Texas Winter 2023-2024

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2023-2024

#21 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:25 pm

Itryatgolf wrote:Hello ntxw. How many different analogs have a -pdo and an intense El niño during winter and what were their outcomes?

Thanks in advance

That -PDO better get the heck outta here & fast!
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#22 Postby Ntxw » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:44 pm

Itryatgolf wrote:Hello ntxw. How many different analogs have a -pdo and an intense El niño during winter and what were their outcomes?

Thanks in advance

The PDO won't likely stay negative in winter. The Nino will eventually force it positive. The idea is will it remain positive?1963, 1972, and 2009 are three possibilities. El Nino going in from -PDO is usually pretty good with a cold source region. ++PDO in winter will flood the country with warmth.

This is the best winter prospect with an El Nino we have moved into since 2014. It doesn't guaranty a cold winter per se, but a true STJ cool south, warm north. Typical question is what will the high latitude polar regions do.

Sometime in October we will transition a complete reversal of the summer pattern. Where there were ridges, there should be troughs vice versa.

Eventually it will settle with the longwave pattern starting in the southwest with lower heights (STJ) and ridging over the Atlantic Canada and Greenland. This is a staple of strong El Ninos.

3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Itryatgolf
Category 1
Category 1

#23 Postby Itryatgolf » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:23 pm

Ntxw wrote:

Thanks in advance

The PDO won't likely stay negative in winter. The Nino will eventually force it positive. The idea is will it remain positive?1963, 1972, and 2009 are three possibilities. El Nino going in from -PDO is usually pretty good with a cold source region. ++PDO in winter will flood the country with warmth.

This is the best winter prospect with an El Nino we have moved into since 2014. It doesn't guaranty a cold winter per se, but a true STJ cool south, warm north. Typical question is what will the high latitude polar regions do.

Sometime in October we will transition a complete reversal of the summer pattern. Where there were ridges, there should be troughs vice versa.

https://i.imgur.com/upyVE1e.png

Eventually it will settle with the longwave pattern starting in the southwest with lower heights (STJ) and ridging over the Atlantic Canada and Greenland. This is a staple of strong El Ninos.

https://i.imgur.com/2J66Bbu.png

I know there is talk about the pdo staying negative for most of the winter and that is why I asked how many analogs for strong niños are there with a -pdo? -ao/nao is important every winter
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:49 pm

Itryatgolf wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Thanks in advance

I know there is talk about the pdo staying negative for most of the winter and that is why I asked how many analogs for strong niños are there with a -pdo? -ao/nao is important every winter

I’ve not heard of that talk anywhere…

The PDO is supposed to start warming from what I’ve heard.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#25 Postby Ntxw » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:12 pm

There's definitely been some chatter about a good cryosphere (AO domain) and PNA region. Some +PNA is OK with a performing STJ. It doesn't scream severe cold blasts but maybe we can get more strong systems to pull enough for wintry weather!

Honestly I would take some cold rain right now.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#26 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:15 am

Got this nugget in a newsletter this morning….

SSW events occur in approximately 60% of Northern Hemisphere winters, and usually occur in January or February, so are more impactful during the back half of winter. These events are driven by upward transport of air from closer to the ground, which acts as a braking mechanism to slow/reverse the westerly winds. When the SPV slows/reverses, we often see a rapid warming, sometimes up to 50C in a few days. This is called a SSW Event. This warming then descends, breaking down the entire vortex, weakening the jet stream, allowing cold Arctic air near the surface to spread southward into the mid-latitudes. SSW events are somewhat predictable 2-3 weeks before the event. And the timeframe for this to impact the surface is around 4-6 weeks after the event. However, it should be stressed that not all SSWs are the same.

We are currently heading into a descending easterly phase of QBO. Research has linked an EQBO to a weaker SPV in winter and that SSWE occur in 90% of all winters with an EQBO.

While with regards to El Nino, a higher percentage of years than normal have SSW events with a moderate to strong El Nino.
1 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

Itryatgolf
Category 1
Category 1

#27 Postby Itryatgolf » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:29 pm

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:Got this nugget in a newsletter this morning….

SSW events occur in approximately 60% of Northern Hemisphere winters, and usually occur in January or February, so are more impactful during the back half of winter. These events are driven by upward transport of air from closer to the ground, which acts as a braking mechanism to slow/reverse the westerly winds. When the SPV slows/reverses, we often see a rapid warming, sometimes up to 50C in a few days. This is called a SSW Event. This warming then descends, breaking down the entire vortex, weakening the jet stream, allowing cold Arctic air near the surface to spread southward into the mid-latitudes. SSW events are somewhat predictable 2-3 weeks before the event. And the timeframe for this to impact the surface is around 4-6 weeks after the event. However, it should be stressed that not all SSWs are the same.

We are currently heading into a descending easterly phase of QBO. Research has linked an EQBO to a weaker SPV in winter and that SSWE occur in 90% of all winters with an EQBO.

While with regards to El Nino, a higher percentage of years than normal have SSW events with a moderate to strong El Nino.

SSW events are good if they happen early enough to make an impact and also happen on our side of the world. Really not many analogs with a -pdo and strong niño. From what I understand
0 likes   

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#28 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:49 pm

Itryatgolf wrote:

SSW events are good if they happen early enough to make an impact and also happen on our side of the world. Really not many analogs with a -pdo and strong niño. From what I understand

Nino is going to be moderate to strong but not super, and I’m not worried about the PDO going deep into Fall. It will push positive.
0 likes   
#NeverSummer

BTAYLOR5021
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#29 Postby BTAYLOR5021 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:55 pm

Super strong events kill our cold and snow chances in north Texas. Moderate ninos such as 09-10 would be a perfect set up.
1 likes   

Itryatgolf
Category 1
Category 1

#30 Postby Itryatgolf » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:20 am

ThunderSleetDreams wrote:
Itryatgolf wrote:

Nino is going to be moderate to strong but not super, and I’m not worried about the PDO going deep into Fall. It will push positive.

It would be nice to see the pdo turn more neutral and then positive. Over at American weather they are talking about the atmosphere is still weak niño, despite the ocean with it is in strong status currently. Relating to the MEI and ONI and other things
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Ptarmigan » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:16 pm

Ntxw wrote:

Thanks in advance

The winter of 1963-1964, 1972-1973, and 2009-2010 were quite cold. 1963, 1972, and 2009 had years that went from La Nina to El Nino.
0 likes   

tajmahal
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#32 Postby tajmahal » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:40 pm

A negative PDO moderates, i.e., decreases, an El Niño's effects.
0 likes   

TropicalTundra
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby TropicalTundra » Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:52 pm

1 likes   
Summer's for hibernation, Winter’s my vacation

Please don't use my posts as forecast, I'm a complete meteorology noob! I just like cold weather, alright?

Tejas89
Category 1
Category 1

#34 Postby Tejas89 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:59 am

2 likes   

texas1836
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#35 Postby texas1836 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:04 am

0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby Cpv17 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:39 am

We’re in the fall thread. We won’t start using this one regularly till December 1st.
2 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:47 pm

Looking at some longer range guidance, I’m beginning to be intrigued about the Christmas/New Years timeframe.
1 likes   

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#38 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:10 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Looking at some longer range guidance, I’m beginning to be intrigued about the Christmas/New Years timeframe.

These next 10 days being true Fall fronts and not Arctic blasts may save the Christmas timeframe for us! I’ll wait if it means a very cold Holidays.

Thanksgiving will feel great.
1 likes   
#NeverSummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#39 Postby Brent » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:06 pm

Cpv17 wrote:Looking at some longer range guidance, I’m beginning to be intrigued about the Christmas/New Years timeframe.

Well if we follow the trend there should at least be a cold front around the holidays(I know this one isn't that impressive but still)... Halloween... Thanksgiving... Christmas?

On another subject I said it in the fall thread but I'll say it here too... There's been some very bullish winter forecasts up here lately and while there are a couple bad analogs no doubt there are more analogs that were very big here so we'll see what happens. I'm almost certain regardless it'll be a lot better than last winter
0 likes   
#neversummer

Itryatgolf
Category 1
Category 1

#40 Postby Itryatgolf » Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:24 pm

Brent wrote:

Well if we follow the trend there should at least be a cold front around the holidays(I know this one isn't that impressive but still)... Halloween... Thanksgiving... Christmas?

On another subject I said it in the fall thread but I'll say it here too... There's been some very bullish winter forecasts up here lately and while there are a couple bad analogs no doubt there are more analogs that were very big here so we'll see what happens. I'm almost certain regardless it'll be a lot better than last winter

Brent, I hope you are correct. We did see a big cold blast last December and a mini ice/sleet event for a few days in beginning of February last winter and it would be good to see more winter weather this winter
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”