DR DEWPOINT SAYS---LOOK FOR A CLASSIC NOREASTER THIS YEAR

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Anonymous

DR DEWPOINT SAYS---LOOK FOR A CLASSIC NOREASTER THIS YEAR

#1 Postby Anonymous » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:33 pm

Storms also can form near the Gulf Coast (GULF LOWS) when the cold air is widespread across the nation. When storms form in the western Gulf States, they tend to move towards the Appalachians, with possibly a secondary center along the coast. When storms form in the eastern Gulf, they tend to move up along the East Coast. Storms that come from the far south often have more moisture to work with and can be especially prolific snow producers. Storms from the Gulf are most common during El Nino winters or in Neutral (La Nada) winters following El Nino events. In La Nina years and La Nada years after La Nina, the northern storm tracks are most common.

so look for real Gulf Lows
0 likes   

Anonymous

#2 Postby Anonymous » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:34 pm

http://www.intellicast.com/DrDewpoint/Library/1185/

the article is from 2000 but this is a neutral year following an El Nino.
0 likes   

#3 Postby Guest » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:44 pm

I for one am ready for some gulf lows especially the western Gulf Lows!!!!!!! Havent had too many Apps systems in the last several years comming up from the Gulf......................This is part of what i do believe HM has been talking about with it beeing more stormier across all the USA!!!!!

I for one do believe the Gulf will be open for buisness this year with not such a supressed storm track as was the case last year with the southern storms that couldnt make the turn up the coast or the Apps when the gulf was open the few times it was........................Now all we need is for the snowpack in Canada to keep building and the other few pieces to come together and we should all have atleast a normal winter if not more in some places!!!!!!
0 likes   

StormCrazyIowan
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby StormCrazyIowan » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:51 pm

We haven't had significant snow totals around here since I was in my freshman year of high school! (about 6 years ago) Last year if I am not mistaken, we only came in with under 20" for the season! I hope it is finally time for that pattern to break! I don't much like winter, but if it has to be cold, then why not make it good and bring on the SNOW! :lol:
0 likes   

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby JCT777 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:56 pm

Bring on the eastern gulf lows! I hope we get at least one such storm this winter. :)
0 likes   

#6 Postby Guest » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:20 pm

JCT777 wrote:Bring on the eastern gulf lows! I hope we get at least one such storm this winter. :)

Western Gulf lows d@mmit John :lol: ! LMAO...........Just kidding :wink: !!!!

I think we all may atleast get one this winter!!!..................Which is fine by me! :D
0 likes   

paradoxsixnine
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7 Postby paradoxsixnine » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:28 pm

king of weather wrote:I for one am ready for some gulf lows especially the western Gulf Lows!!!!!!! Havent had too many Apps systems in the last several years comming up from the Gulf......................This is part of what i do believe HM has been talking about with it beeing more stormier across all the USA!!!!!

I for one do believe the Gulf will be open for buisness this year with not such a supressed storm track as was the case last year with the southern storms that couldnt make the turn up the coast or the Apps when the gulf was open the few times it was........................Now all we need is for the snowpack in Canada to keep building and the other few pieces to come together and we should all have atleast a normal winter if not more in some places!!!!!!

At the risk of sounding completely without a clue (and I will blame that on my ADD), can you tell me what this may mean for winter in North Carolina???? I'm in the piedmont (not western mountains, not eastern coast, but in the middle--though more west than east).

We had an icy winter last year with some snow, lotta damage and power outages for weeks, etc. I LOVED it!!! Thus, my anticipation for the upcoming winter.
0 likes   

GAStorm
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby GAStorm » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:07 pm

paradoxsixnine wrote:At the risk of sounding completely without a clue (and I will blame that on my ADD), can you tell me what this may mean for winter in North Carolina???? I'm in the piedmont (not western mountains, not eastern coast, but in the middle--though more west than east).

We had an icy winter last year with some snow, lotta damage and power outages for weeks, etc. I LOVED it!!! Thus, my anticipation for the upcoming winter.

I think NC will probably see plenty of snow this year! From all the discussions I have read, it seems NC could get some significant winter storms. I just hope the we can get in on some of that here in GA! :wink:
0 likes   

wow
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#9 Postby wow » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:16 pm

paradoxsixnine wrote:
king of weather wrote:I for one am ready for some gulf lows especially the western Gulf Lows!!!!!!! Havent had too many Apps systems in the last several years comming up from the Gulf......................This is part of what i do believe HM has been talking about with it beeing more stormier across all the USA!!!!!

At the risk of sounding completely without a clue (and I will blame that on my ADD), can you tell me what this may mean for winter in North Carolina???? I'm in the piedmont (not western mountains, not eastern coast, but in the middle--though more west than east).

Cheer for the eastern gulf lows!
0 likes   

paradoxsixnine
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#10 Postby paradoxsixnine » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:47 pm

GAStorm wrote:
paradoxsixnine wrote:At the risk of sounding completely without a clue (and I will blame that on my ADD), can you tell me what this may mean for winter in North Carolina???? I'm in the piedmont (not western mountains, not eastern coast, but in the middle--though more west than east).

I think NC will probably see plenty of snow this year! From all the discussions I have read, it seems NC could get some significant winter storms. I just hope the we can get in on some of that here in GA! :wink:

I don't understand what I'm missing....maybe I haven't been reading the right discussions?? Other than the map on this site for precips, temps, and snowfall forecasts, I haven't run into anything else...
0 likes   

HuffWx
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#11 Postby HuffWx » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:16 am

I would have to contend that climo may just keep NC from big snow...not big winter events. Jan 25 2000 and Jan 2 2002 where 12+ events in RDU...not very common. Not common enough to have three in 5 years.

Expect Snow to ice events over most of NC...save the western mt and the far western communities.

Huff
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Colin » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:18 pm

WOOHOO!!! :D
0 likes   

GAStorm
Category 1
Category 1

#13 Postby GAStorm » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:50 pm

paradoxsixnine wrote:I don't understand what I'm missing....maybe I haven't been reading the right discussions?? Other than the map on this site for precips, temps, and snowfall forecasts, I haven't run into anything else...

Have you seen the map KOW put out? Also, the discussions I was referring to cannot be accessed right now. WWBB is down. Anyway, here is the forecast:

http://www.storm2k.org/Weather-Central/ ... utlook.htm
0 likes   

paradoxsixnine
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby paradoxsixnine » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:42 pm

GAStorm wrote:
paradoxsixnine wrote:I don't understand what I'm missing....maybe I haven't been reading the right discussions?? Other than the map on this site for precips, temps, and snowfall forecasts, I haven't run into anything else...

Have you seen the map KOW put out? Also, the discussions I was referring to cannot be accessed right now. WWBB is down. Anyway, here is the forecast:

http://www.storm2k.org/Weather-Central/ ... utlook.htm

Yeah, I saw that map but I hadn't read any particular discussions, though.
0 likes   

WEATHER53
Category 1
Category 1

#15 Postby WEATHER53 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:23 pm

Richmond & Norfolk may get in on some big noreaster action if it is cold enough but as far as any single event for DCA, Phil, NYC that is 8"+, I say no. Too warm when the precip is on, too suppressive high pressure when the cold is on. Two or three 4 inchers for DCA.
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”