EURO advertising a change ... Blue Norther style

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

EURO advertising a change ... Blue Norther style

#1 Postby Stormsfury » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:08 pm

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/loop.ecmwf850t.html

Also some potential for snows on the back side of that low pressure as cold air is forced southward ala the Blue Norther. Jacki .. this storm just might be for ya!

SF
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Stormsfury » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:13 pm

Also, the potential for a severe weather setup in the warm sector.

Actually two separate corridors. One associated with a squall line potentially from GA northward into the Mid-Atlantic. The second may be a shallow line crossing through Ohio.

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/loop.ecmwf500s.html

Could get very interesting at the end of the week/early next week.

SF
0 likes   

StormCrazyIowan
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby StormCrazyIowan » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:15 pm

I am ready and waiting, bring it ON!!! :D
0 likes   

GAStorm
Category 1
Category 1

#4 Postby GAStorm » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:52 pm

Certainly something to keep an eye on! Thanks for the info SF!
0 likes   

#5 Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:46 am

Well well well.................Thought i would mention that the 00z GFS shows this system as well now...................GFS however has a ton of precip and as well has this system moving very slowly with alot of wrap around Precip/Snow for the Plains/Midwest/Great Lakes and the Ohio Valley...................Gonna be a very intresting next couple of days as we follow this potential huge storm........................
0 likes   

LehighValleyForcaster
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Location: The Greater Lehigh Valley, Penna. (Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton area)

Glad I found you..........

#6 Postby LehighValleyForcaster » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:42 am

Thanks to storm fury I was able to locate you and where you are posting your forecast.
:lol:
0 likes   

wx247
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby wx247 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:35 am

Yes indeed. Our local mets are mentioning this big change, too. :o
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby JCT777 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:16 am

This definitely looks like it was the potential to be a powerful storm. Very interesting indeed! 8-)
0 likes   

Mr Bob
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#9 Postby Mr Bob » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:42 am

Stormsfury wrote:Also, the potential for a severe weather setup in the warm sector.

Actually two separate corridors. One associated with a squall line potentially from GA northward into the Mid-Atlantic. The second may be a shallow line crossing through Ohio.

http://weather.cod.edu/forecast/loop.ecmwf500s.html

Could get very interesting at the end of the week/early next week.

SF

Indeed, SF, this has the potential to be very interesting...perhaps not as volatile as Nov 9-11 last year, but certainly enough to catch my eye this morning. The key west of the Apps will be how much moisture can get north. It will likely be a narrow band spiking rather quickly. Initiation somewhere along the GC in S MS then spreading into W AL and C TN (if we get "lucky"). I would also be concerned for some wedging in N GA which would stymie any big threat for ATL though it is always a race! I would be surprised if the good instability can get much farther north than TN Valley on west side of Apps though as you say a narrow line of low topped convection with some strong gusty winds along the front are certainly possible in the OH Valley....Nice to have something interesting to watch over the next few days!
0 likes   

JetMaxx

#10 Postby JetMaxx » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:38 am

A severe wx outbreak in the SE US in late October would be unusual, but not unheard of...especially in southern sections of MS/ AL/ GA as well as Florida. I remember a rather potent outbreak in October 1993 that left several dead in SW Georgia near Albany and another fatality in northern Florida.
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Glad I found you..........

#11 Postby Stormsfury » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:34 am

LehighValleyForcaster wrote:Thanks to storm fury I was able to locate you and where you are posting your forecast.

Hey, LVF, glad to see you found us. Welcome to Storm2k.

SF
0 likes   

Re: Glad I found you..........

#12 Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:45 am

LehighValleyForcaster wrote:Thanks to storm fury I was able to locate you and where you are posting your forecast.

Hey there Lehigh long tim no see :D Im glad you finally found your way over here................Welcome aboard Storm2K.................Im looking forward to our discussions of the up comming winter!!!!!!!!!!!
0 likes   

StormCrazyIowan
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby StormCrazyIowan » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:31 pm

Well, still no word from my local mets :roll: :lol:, but you all have definitely peaked my attention! I just pray it isn't a dud!!
0 likes   

therock1811
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby therock1811 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:57 pm

I hope it snows a little for H'ween!!! BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!
0 likes   

#15 Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:51 pm

Well todays runs so far are still showing the same thing perhaps slightly eastward taking the low up right through eastern Ohio and up into SE canada across Lake Erie which in turn will keep the severe threat high along the eastcoast/TN Valley and the snow on the backside in the Lakes from about i70 north in IL,IN, and OH,PA as the system gets north of those last two states...................Looks like several (POSSIBLE)clipper type systems following the big storm with what should be cold enough air dropping into the northern plains then the Midwest and into the Ohio valley which could whiten alot of areas from the eastern Dakotas down into MN, IA, IL, WI and possibly along and more so north of the Ohio river into PA/WVA..............Which doesnt even account for MI who will probably see the most from the systems and added Lake effect............Farther out i wont even mention at this point untill later tonight or early tomorrow so i can see if the models hold up on a few more possibilities..................
0 likes   

Colin
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Colin » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:14 pm

Sounds good ... will be paying close attention to this developing situation! ;)
0 likes   

luke42
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#17 Postby luke42 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:03 pm

I first heard of this potential storm today and I am a little excited about it. The only thing I will not like about it is the cold. The snow may be a little early, but heck, we already saw snow once this year, and that was the beginning of this month! Our local TV meteorologist has made mention of the pattern change and hinted at a possible storm, but the NWS is really making it sound promising. But, it's a little too early to tell whether this storm will happen or not. :)
0 likes   

mathias1979
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#18 Postby mathias1979 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:34 am

Am I reading this right? The Low actually moves from SW PA on Day 6 to the UP of MI on Day 7? That's one hell of a negative tilt.

-Matt
0 likes   

JCT777
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby JCT777 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:04 am

mathias1979 wrote:Am I reading this right? The Low actually moves from SW PA on Day 6 to the UP of MI on Day 7? That's one hell of a negative tilt.

-Matt

If that is correct, I agree it is an amazing negative tilt! You won't often see THAT kind of storm track! :o
0 likes   

Stormsfury
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Stormsfury » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:29 am

mathias1979 wrote:Am I reading this right? The Low actually moves from SW PA on Day 6 to the UP of MI on Day 7? That's one hell of a negative tilt.

-Matt

Major occlusion if the last night's EURO verifies. Quite a setup probably reminiscent of the setup in November 1950 (don't have any maps) Great Appalachain Snowstorm. It was colder in Atlanta, GA than many locales in the NE.

November 1950 (25th) - The HIGH in ATL was 17º and the LOW was 3º.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/cgi-bin/xmc ... &year=1950
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”