Texas Spring 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Spring 2024

#1421 Postby rwfromkansas » Thu May 23, 2024 10:44 pm

bubba hotep wrote:00z HRRR fires some nasty cells across DFW tomorrow evening.

Interesting. I honestly ignored tomorrow completely since the risk zone is so narrow and DFW is almost not even in it.
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1422 Postby snownado » Thu May 23, 2024 11:04 pm

HRRR is pretty much on its own there.

All of the other models are either a fat goose egg for everyone, or delay intiation until just SE of DFW (I.E. repeat of 5/8/24).

So I mean, as interesting as the HRRR may be, I see no reason to bet against the seasonal trend.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1423 Postby Cpv17 » Thu May 23, 2024 11:10 pm

snownado wrote:

All of the other models are either a fat goose egg for everyone, or delay intiation until just SE of DFW (I.E. repeat of 5/8/24).

So I mean, as interesting as the HRRR may be, I see no reason to bet against the seasonal trend.

The other models usually don’t pick up on things like the HRRR does though.
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1424 Postby snownado » Thu May 23, 2024 11:12 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
snownado wrote:

Just to clarify, I was including the other CAMs (NBM, ARW, 3km NAM, etc.) as well when I said "all of the other models."
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1425 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri May 24, 2024 12:11 am

Well the 0z CAMs are out and pretty much every single one of them fire zero storms in OK Saturday, which was not what I was expecting. Seems like a few of them like the NAM have a strong capping inversion while others like the HRRR don't have much of a cap at all yet still fail to convect. I initially thought it would be typical 48hr HRRR dryline shenanigans (heck even today it was all over the place) but when all of them show nothing it makes me wonder...

Interested to read the upcoming SPC discussion in about an hour. I'm not sure I buy the CAMs at this range since they can still be unreliable 48 hours out but it'll be something to watch as we get closer. Still looks to be a very potent environment though so any storm that does form will probably have strong tornado potential.

Also a chance this could be another post 0z event so that could have something to do with it since most CAMs only go out 48 hours.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1426 Postby Cpv17 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:43 am

snownado wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
snownado wrote:

Just to clarify, I was including the other CAMs (NBM, ARW, 3km NAM, etc.) as well when I said "all of the other models."

I know. The NBM I’m not familiar with. The NAM sucks in my opinion for precipitation. I only use the NAM for temps during the winter. The ARW is half decent. FV3 overdoes precip too often. RGEM sometimes can be okay, but the HRRR overall does the best IMO so it holds the most weight for me. I’m just not familiar with the NBM.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1427 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri May 24, 2024 1:07 am

https://x.com/NWSSPC/status/1793884151202111491

Smaller enhanced risk now for Day 2 (Sat) with a small 10# tornado area from W OK to south-central KS, so maybe the CAMs and CIPs analogs are on to something
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1428 Postby HockeyTx82 » Fri May 24, 2024 8:53 am

SPC just went enhanced for DFW for today...... :(
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1429 Postby bubba hotep » Fri May 24, 2024 10:02 am

HockeyTx82 wrote:SPC just went enhanced for DFW for today...... :(

0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1430 Postby bubba hotep » Fri May 24, 2024 11:11 am

The 12z SPC HREF is pretty aggressive along the entire ENH zoned.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1431 Postby Ntxw » Fri May 24, 2024 11:31 am

73 dewpoint at DFW, it's quite juicy. Upper 70s dews in SE Texas yuck! Probably a couple of big ones.

1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1432 Postby HockeyTx82 » Fri May 24, 2024 11:34 am

bubba hotep wrote:The 12z SPC HREF is pretty aggressive along the entire ENH zoned.

Why I feel this will catch people off guard today?

This one just seems like a sleeper with potential to really fire off.

It's the hail and wind threat I'm worried about, not so much a tornado.
1 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1433 Postby snownado » Fri May 24, 2024 12:04 pm

With the excessive rainfall we've seen, the elevated dewpoints should be no surprise.

The bigger concern should be thus far, the wet soils have not worked to keep temps in check (nothing extreme yet due in part to all of the cloud cover, but it's been consistently above-normal with fairly efficient heating when there are breaks in the clouds), despite what some have been hoping for...
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1434 Postby bubba hotep » Fri May 24, 2024 12:08 pm

HockeyTx82 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:The 12z SPC HREF is pretty aggressive along the entire ENH zoned.

The hail threat looks to be high-end if storms can get going.
0 likes   

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1435 Postby snownado » Fri May 24, 2024 12:10 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:

The story of 2024 for DFW (with emphasis on the bolded).
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1436 Postby Ntxw » Fri May 24, 2024 12:37 pm

snownado wrote:With the excessive rainfall we've seen, the elevated dewpoints should be no surprise.

The bigger concern should be thus far, the wet soils have not worked to keep temps in check (nothing extreme yet due in part to all of the cloud cover, but it's been consistently above-normal with fairly efficient heating when there are breaks in the clouds), despite what some have been hoping for...

I think most of us have accepted at this point being below normal for a monthly has become a rarity, seldom more than one or two months. We are approaching mid decade (2025) and already the averages in the next cycle will be higher than the 2010s which we are consistently above. This is the numbers.

We just want to avoid the long duration heatwaves at this point.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1437 Postby Cpv17 » Fri May 24, 2024 12:48 pm

Looks like the window of opportunity for DFW today will be from about 4pm-12am. Pretty wide window.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1438 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri May 24, 2024 12:57 pm

Big moderate added for tomorrow and they're already mentioning High risk if confidence in storm coverage increases
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1439 Postby snownado » Fri May 24, 2024 1:06 pm

Ntxw wrote:
snownado wrote:With the excessive rainfall we've seen, the elevated dewpoints should be no surprise.

I think most of us have accepted at this point being below normal for a monthly has become a rarity, seldom more than one or two months. We are approaching mid decade (2025) and already the averages in the next cycle will be higher than the 2010s which we are consistently above. This is the numbers.

We just want to avoid the long duration heatwaves at this point.

Even if the wet soils do help to keep actual temps in check this year, there may still be the heightened risk of wet bulb events with more extreme heat indices instead.

Last year (which wasn't exactly a wet Winter/Spring), DFW in June had what seemed like numerous days with heat indices above 110*F and dewpoints in the 75*F-80*F range.
0 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1440 Postby HockeyTx82 » Fri May 24, 2024 1:37 pm

snownado wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:
HockeyTx82 wrote:

The story of 2024 for DFW (with emphasis on the bolded).

And unless my eyes are deceiving me the HRRR is trending less and less for DFW. Maybe the clouds are hanging around keeping temps in check?

Anyone else want to check me on that?
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”