Texas Summer 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Texas Summer 2024

#161 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:03 am

For those who may want to follow the information about new invest 91L at Bay of Campeche, go to the 91L main discussion thread.
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

snownado
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#162 Postby snownado » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:28 am

Cpv17 wrote:
Brent wrote:Wow this place is dead :lol: with a very large circulation in the Gulf

Even up here we might be a little less hot

It’s because most people on here are from DFW and they aren’t expected to get much outta it.

That, and I've had my severe weather fix for the season between 5/27 and 6/3.

I'm just loving the Summertime weather now.
Last edited by snownado on Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Wthrfan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#163 Postby Wthrfan » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:39 am

Hoping my friends and family in the Austin-San Antonio area and the watersheds to the west and northwest pick up some much needed moisture!
4 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#164 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:42 am

Wthrfan wrote:Hoping my friends and family in the Austin-San Antonio area and the watersheds to the west and northwest pick up some much needed moisture!

Models are in pretty good agreement that there will be widespread rains for South Texas :rain: :rain:
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#165 Postby txtwister78 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:37 pm

Might have to watch the SW Gulf/Bay of Campeche again for another possible disturbance early next week as the Euro Ensemble probs are beginning to ramp up with a decent signal for a tropical depression around the 24th.
1 likes   

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#166 Postby txtwister78 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:39 pm

0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#167 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:19 pm

The EWX office had some interesting wording. :eek: :rain: :rain: :rain:

With regard to the overall setup, the Subtropical High is situated
over North Carolina and will strengthen and expand in size over the
Ohio Valley by midweek. This will act to block 91L from moving into
the central Gulf, and allowing it to move into northern Mexico or
south Texas under southeasterly flow aloft. It looks as if PWATs
will be near or close to top 10 all time values within the
climatology based off of Corpus Christi`s sounding history. The max
is 3.00" from July 2010, and based off of the ensembles from the GFS
and ECM, that value could be challenged Tuesday evening through
Thursday morning, with values in the 2.7-3.0" range, some 3-4 sigma
above the mean. Those are some remarkable values given the
climatology, so we are working with a DEEP tropical airmass moving
into South Central Texas midweek. Showers and storms that develop
within this airmass will be incredibly efficient rain makers, with
rates likely approaching several inches per hour.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... glossary=1
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

utpmg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#168 Postby utpmg » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:33 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
Wthrfan wrote:Hoping my friends and family in the Austin-San Antonio area and the watersheds to the west and northwest pick up some much needed moisture!

Models are in pretty good agreement that there will be widespread rains for South Texas :rain: :rain:

I'm sure they need it as well, but man...anything south of Blanco doesn't really help us here. Even rain in Austin proper won't really help the overriding issue. Lake Travis and Buchanan are still way down.
0 likes   

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#169 Postby Edwards Limestone » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:18 pm

utpmg wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

I'm sure they need it as well, but man...anything south of Blanco doesn't really help us here. Even rain in Austin proper won't really help the overriding issue. Lake Travis and Buchanan are still way down.

Respectfully disagree. Canyon Lake and the upper Guadalupe River Basin have been much worse off than Travis as of late. We are in a 3-4 year drought right now.

We all need rain but Travis and Buchanan have gotten a lot more help the last few months than those of us to your south. Let's hope we all get something beneficial.

It may not matter anyway, there's likely going to be a sharp precip cutoff somewhere in SC TX- and that line may well be south of SA. Lucy is getting ready with her football again...
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#170 Postby txtwister78 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:21 pm

NHC briefing for those interested. Per the discussion impacts in terms of rainfall and potentially even tropical storm gust will be felt several hundred miles north of the actual center. Models still have some time to shift a little, but odds still favor South Central Texas points south in terms of the heaviest rainfall inland from this event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQTTRaWyz6I
2 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#171 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:24 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:
utpmg wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

Respectfully disagree. Canyon Lake and the upper Guadalupe River Basin have been much worse off than Travis as of late. We are in a 3-4 year drought right now.

We all need rain but Travis and Buchanan have gotten a lot more help the last few months than those of us to your south. Let's hope we all get something beneficial.

It may not matter anyway, there's likely going to be a sharp precip cutoff somewhere in SC TX- and that line may well be south of SA. Lucy is getting ready with her football again...

Yeah I'm beginning to think the cutoff line for the significant rainfall with this system will be near San Antonio unfortunately. Wouldn't be surprised to see the areas that still need rain badly to miss out yet again. Hopefully it comes in farther north but that is looking less likely with time...
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#172 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:32 pm

txtwister78 wrote:Might have to watch the SW Gulf/Bay of Campeche again for another possible disturbance early next week as the Euro Ensemble probs are beginning to ramp up with a decent signal for a tropical depression around the 24th.

And the CPC forecast today agrees with that.
0 likes   

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#173 Postby Edwards Limestone » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:00 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:
Edwards Limestone wrote:
utpmg wrote:I'm sure they need it as well, but man...anything south of Blanco doesn't really help us here. Even rain in Austin proper won't really help the overriding issue. Lake Travis and Buchanan are still way down.

Yeah I'm beginning to think the cutoff line for the significant rainfall with this system will be near San Antonio unfortunately. Wouldn't be surprised to see the areas that still need rain badly to miss out yet again. Hopefully it comes in farther north but that is looking less likely with time...

Bummer again. At least we’ll get some cooler temps and clouds- hopefully. Maybe next week’s system will bring better luck for the Hill Country.
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#174 Postby txtwister78 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:25 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:
utpmg wrote:I'm sure they need it as well, but man...anything south of Blanco doesn't really help us here. Even rain in Austin proper won't really help the overriding issue. Lake Travis and Buchanan are still way down.

I think the thing to watch is whether we see a secondary vort max develop further north which has been shown per the GFS/CMC model solutions over the past several runs. This would enhance convection further north of the actual center. That's the key in my opinion as it relates to how far north impacts will be felt. The Euro hasn't been as bullish with that scenario taking place and thus keeping the bulk of the heavier rain further south across the RGV.

If this thing spins up faster where NHC has it positioned than most models currently show, then I think we may see the Euro solution win out but the longer this remains as a broad area of circulation, I can see a GFS/CMC solution having some merit. Still some things to sort out, but I'll take anything we can get at this point. it's all a bonus once you get into mid-June and beyond.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#175 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:54 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:
Edwards Limestone wrote:

Bummer again. At least we’ll get some cooler temps and clouds- hopefully. Maybe next week’s system will bring better luck for the Hill Country.

The NHC is already mentioning the next one. Interesting times ahead.
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#176 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:12 pm

txtwister78 wrote:
Edwards Limestone wrote:

I think the thing to watch is whether we see a secondary vort max develop further north which has been shown per the GFS/CMC model solutions over the past several runs. This would enhance convection further north of the actual center. That's the key in my opinion as it relates to how far north impacts will be felt. The Euro hasn't been as bullish with that scenario taking place and thus keeping the bulk of the heavier rain further south across the RGV.

If this thing spins up faster where NHC has it positioned than most models currently show, then I think we may see the Euro solution win out but the longer this remains as a broad area of circulation, I can see a GFS/CMC solution having some merit. Still some things to sort out, but I'll take anything we can get at this point. it's all a bonus once you get into mid-June and beyond.

The Euro has been very consistent in showing 1-2 inch amounts in SA, and now the GFS is shifting south and will probably soon be in that range as well. Unfortunate that the hardest hit drought area keeps getting teased by the models with regards to these drought busting rain events. I hope I'm wrong and heavier amounts fall in SA and the Hill Country, but the trend hasn't been good today.

Don't get me wrong 1-2 inches will be very beneficial to the area, but it's frustrating when there's a chance for 4-8 inch totals which would really put a dent in the drought.
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#177 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:27 pm

txtwister78 wrote:

The Euro has been very consistent in showing 1-2 inch amounts in SA, and now the GFS is shifting south and will probably soon be in that range as well. Unfortunate that the hardest hit drought area keeps getting teased by the models with regards to these drought busting rain events. I hope I'm wrong and heavier amounts fall in SA and the Hill Country, but the trend hasn't been good today.

Don't get me wrong 1-2 inches will be very beneficial to the area, but it's frustrating when there's a chance for 4-8 inch totals which would really put a dent in the drought.

As long as we have that ECR, I’m not too concerned about it. You mentioned a couple weeks ago about tropical moisture moving in over the second part of June. You were spot on.
3 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#178 Postby Brent » Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:59 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
txtwister78 wrote:

As long as we have that ECR, I’m not too concerned about it. You mentioned a couple weeks ago about tropical moisture moving in over the second part of June. You were spot on.

Not to mention there is already hints of another storm in the same area it appears we have a western Pacific type gyre where it just hangs out for awhile
0 likes   
#neversummer

txtwister78
Category 5
Category 5

#179 Postby txtwister78 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:11 pm

0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#180 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:10 pm

Terrible trends on the models today. Hopefully the next possible system will come in further N.
2 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”