Texas Spring 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2018

#1101 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu May 10, 2018 4:13 pm

30% chance of showers and thunderstorms Sunday night through Wednesday night. Not great, but fingers crossed.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Tejas89
Category 1
Category 1

#1102 Postby Tejas89 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Temps well above average at DFW throughout the extended.

Oh well, Midland is 100+ next couple of days. :sun:
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1103 Postby Brent » Thu May 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Tejas89 wrote:Temps well above average at DFW throughout the extended.

Oh well, Midland is 100+ next couple of days. :sun:

what a flip from April.
0 likes   
#neversummer

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1104 Postby JDawg512 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:02 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:The Austin Fire Department held a press conference today warning that this year's wildfire season is going to be bad and residents need to be prepared. We saw this coming months ago so it's not a surprise. Now is the time to brush up on precautions and for those who live near greenbelts and up in the hills to trim and clear overgrown areas and remove any dead brush along property lines. Stick to your community's watering schedule, I'd recommend starting next week. Native trees, plants and grasses will show their worth.

I've had mine set for once a week (every Saturday in the early morning) for at least a couple years (minus the Winter time when I do once a month if no rain). If it has rained (like last weekend), I turn system off so it doesn't go off. I didn't water last Saturday (obviously after 2 inches the day before), but will turn it on to go off this Saturday morning, unfortunately. I have spray heads, but also a large area of drip lines which will help to keep that deep soil moist. A heavy watering once a week (or longer depending on rainfall) is better for the roots. I have native and adapted plants/shrubs/trees. Also a mix of St. Augustine, Bermuda, and native weed grasses on the turf.

We never had a built in underground watering system but I've been building one where I manually connect the hose for different sections. Since it is not automatic I'm able to water 2 times a week, though I only water a specific section once a week. My yard is pretty large for a city lot, a little more than half an acre so I split the yard in half between the two days. Makes it easier on me as well as being able to thoroughly water each section.
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1105 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:59 pm

JDawg512 wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:The Austin Fire Department held a press conference today warning that this year's wildfire season is going to be bad and residents need to be prepared. We saw this coming months ago so it's not a surprise. Now is the time to brush up on precautions and for those who live near greenbelts and up in the hills to trim and clear overgrown areas and remove any dead brush along property lines. Stick to your community's watering schedule, I'd recommend starting next week. Native trees, plants and grasses will show their worth.

I've had mine set for once a week (every Saturday in the early morning) for at least a couple years (minus the Winter time when I do once a month if no rain). If it has rained (like last weekend), I turn system off so it doesn't go off. I didn't water last Saturday (obviously after 2 inches the day before), but will turn it on to go off this Saturday morning, unfortunately. I have spray heads, but also a large area of drip lines which will help to keep that deep soil moist. A heavy watering once a week (or longer depending on rainfall) is better for the roots. I have native and adapted plants/shrubs/trees. Also a mix of St. Augustine, Bermuda, and native weed grasses on the turf.

We never had a built in underground watering system but I've been building one where I manually connect the hose for different sections. Since it is not automatic I'm able to water 2 times a week, though I only water a specific section once a week. My yard is pretty large for a city lot, a little more than half an acre so I split the yard in half between the two days. Makes it easier on me as well as being able to thoroughly water each section.

Yeah, we inherited our sprinkler system and drip lines for the stuff previous owner grew. The previous owner had a rose garden, which was nice, but water suckers and high maintenance. One survived under my care. Belinda's Dream. I've always been about native/adapted, so I figured when Roses died, I'd replace with hardier, drought-resistant plants. Makes sense here.

One neighbor down the street just tore out all of his turf last weekend and put all rocks in his front yard and nuisance strip, with some mulch here and there. That is too extreme, and ugly IMO. He obviously doesn't want to take care of a yard, but weeds are going to grow in it eventually. He'll have to pull them out. Anyway. We're not Tucson! :P Silly.
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1106 Postby Haris » Fri May 11, 2018 11:31 am

Models trending wetter for Central TX mid next week !!!
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1107 Postby gboudx » Fri May 11, 2018 12:24 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
One neighbor down the street just tore out all of his turf last weekend and put all rocks in his front yard and nuisance strip, with some mulch here and there. That is too extreme, and ugly IMO. He obviously doesn't want to take care of a yard, but weeds are going to grow in it eventually. He'll have to pull them out. Anyway. We're not Tucson! :P Silly.

He may not care as long as they're native weeds. :) But yes, that's taking xeriscaping to the extreme.
1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1108 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 pm

Maybe the drought-striken panhandle will get some beneficial dry line action rains. Not sure what that bullseye northwest of Austin is. Rain bomb? A rain bomb actually happened just east of Marble Falls back on June 21, 2007. A cluster of thunderstorms formed near Abilene and drifted SSE, going stationary near Marble Falls, which created the "2007 Marble Falls Rain Bomb" - 19 inches of rain fell in an 8-hour period! Lake Travis had to open multiple floodgates. It came off of an El Nino year, so Travis was pretty full already.

Link: https://youtu.be/cNZEubyY1uo
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1109 Postby weatherdude1108 » Fri May 11, 2018 3:36 pm

FXUS64 KEWX 112011
AFDEWX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
311 PM CDT Fri May 11 2018

.SHORT TERM (Tonight through Saturday Night)...
An upper low deepening into the Great Basin today will sharpen the
ridging pattern aloft over TX, and keep a healthy onshore low level
flow and warming mid level winds aloft through Saturday night. The
southwesterly mid to upper level flow pattern over West TX would
normally become active with scattered storms,
but the dry mid to
upper level air upstream of the area and capping over the area
should keep rain chances near zero across the CWA.
Areas of morning
cloudiness should continue and help keep humidities relatively higher
in the afternoons and keep the daily warming temperature trend as
very gradual.

&&
a
.LONG TERM (Sunday through Friday)...
The upper ridge axis tilts to SW-NE late Sunday as the Great Basin
low fills in and ejects eastward. Some mid level moisture appears in
the mid level NAM sounding forecast at DRT, signaling perhaps a
better tap into some Pacific moisture and some isolated orographic
convection that could drift into our western counties while central
and eastern counties remain stable. This pattern persists through
Tuesday with the upper ridge becoming dampened into a flat pattern
aloft by early Wednesday. Late Wednesday broad upper troughing over
the Red River and Mississippi River basins, setting up a brief NW
flow pattern aloft that lasts into early Thursday. This is typically
a more efficient pattern that results in convection aloft that can
maintain storm strength into the night and progressing from North TX
deeper into our forecast area.
Slight Chance to low chance PoPs are
offered for Wednesday through Thursday afternoon, with fairly light
steering flow aloft unlikely to present a significant threat for
strong storms. The pattern weakens late Thursday with the dry and
gradual warming trend to resume for Friday
0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1110 Postby Haris » Fri May 11, 2018 5:45 pm

18z gfs with a bulls eye of 5.3" just W of Austin next Thursday!
0 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

TheAustinMan
Category 5
Category 5

#1111 Postby TheAustinMan » Fri May 11, 2018 6:36 pm

It's not everyday that you see a wildfire fueling a severe warned thunderstorm. This one's up in the Panhandle.

1 likes   
ImageImageImage
Treat my opinions with a grain of salt. For official information see your local weather service.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1112 Postby Ntxw » Sat May 12, 2018 11:15 am

Typical early summer weather the next week. Highs about 90 give or take a few, lows about 70 again give or take a few. Some slight rain chances second half of this week but nothing to write home about. I fear this may be a recurring post for the next few months.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1113 Postby Haris » Sat May 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Ntxw wrote:Typical early summer weather the next week. Highs about 90 give or take a few, lows about 70 again give or take a few. Some slight rain chances second half of this week but nothing to write home about. I fear this may be a recurring post for the next few months.

Any teleconnections looking supportive for stormy weather here? Bubba posted about the mjo and aam going into a phase for stormy weather
0 likes   

lukem
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1114 Postby lukem » Sat May 12, 2018 6:11 pm

18z GFS would be huge for the drought. Seems like the models are consistently showing good rain for West Texas and the Panhandle starting this week.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1115 Postby Ntxw » Sat May 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Haris wrote:
Ntxw wrote:Typical early summer weather the next week. Highs about 90 give or take a few, lows about 70 again give or take a few. Some slight rain chances second half of this week but nothing to write home about. I fear this may be a recurring post for the next few months.

Any teleconnections looking supportive for stormy weather here? Bubba posted about the mjo and aam going into a phase for stormy weather

For the next week to two weeks I don't see anything major to support a below normal temp/above normal precip regime. Most of the action will be to our east with an eastern and N. Gulf system which usually draws rich moisture away from Texas leaving us in subsidence. May will likely end up much above normal for most of the country. Perhaps June will provide better conditions but too far into the future.

As I mentioned earlier in a previous post, the bulk of severe weather season for Texas has likely passed.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1116 Postby JDawg512 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:38 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:

Thank you! I get so irritated when I see people doing that. It doesn't make sense here. Grass is going to grow among other things regardless. What's worse is they spray poison all over to kill off what grows through, it's not only environmentally irresponsible, it affects surrounding neighbors because when it rains, the poison washes off the rocks and into neighbors yards or in the sewer. This isn't El Paso, Tuscon or Phoenix. You can have a nice yard with native species without having to spend much time doing yard work. Its funny cause theres a bunch of row condos that were built a few blocks away and they covered the yards with rocks. One couple just let the grass grow over. You can't even tell there's any rocks underneath now.

I have several roses, some we've had since I was really young, we have one that was from my grandmother's that we transplanted after she passed away. It has to be at least 60 years old. Roses can live for a very long time.
There are several varieties that do great here. I barely do anything with the climbing rose by the shed and it's always covered in blooms every Spring and Autumn. But your right, many times people end up getting varieties that don't do well here. They get them from Home Depot or wherever. Local nurseries are good about carrying varieties that do well here.
2 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#1117 Postby Haris » Sun May 13, 2018 10:12 am

100s in AUSTIN!?!?!?
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1118 Postby Brent » Sun May 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Haris wrote:
100s in AUSTIN!?!?!?

Gross. It's not even summer yet. :roll:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1119 Postby Ntxw » Sun May 13, 2018 12:22 pm

Yes the 95-100s is true. It may be short lived but still hot. Areas that have seen the least rain (western half) of Texas will likely hit 100

The end of the week..will be hot. Winter is but a distant memory. Warmth lovers rejoice
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1120 Postby gpsnowman » Sun May 13, 2018 6:34 pm

This is just terrible. April was great temp wise with a great month of below normal readings......with not much rain. May has been just the opposite temp wise without any rain. Without looking at the numbers I think the DFW area has been above normal every day this month with no end in sight......with not much rain. This is May!!!! This summer is going to be brutal from I-70 south if things do not change quickly, which I do not think they will. I feel bad or our West Texas friends although they could see some much needed rain in the next few days. Not so much in North Texas. Man I miss thunderstorms. I blame 57 for all this. :grr:
2 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”