Texas Spring 2024

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Spring 2024

#121 Postby Texas Snowman » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:50 pm

We had an official freeze with a low of 32 degrees this morning at NTRA and a heavy frost here in Denison. Glad I brought the tomatoes in!
:jacket:
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Bhow
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#122 Postby Bhow » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:01 am

RDPS has a much more volatile environment than the NAM for central texas at hour 84.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#123 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:39 pm

The 18z GFS said we should go back to the winter thread :spam:
2 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#124 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:03 pm

Brent wrote:The 18z GFS said we should go back to the winter thread :spam:

I’m gonna be honest. I really don’t care much for cold in March and points on from there. I feel like cold should come November through February. By March I’m ready for some warmer weather once I get a taste of it. Just how I feel.
3 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:59 am

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#126 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:45 am

Heading back to CO tomorrow morning. Looks like a major winter storm on tap for up here. Our watch has been issued for 11-28”. Looks to be a true “Albuquerque Low” which almost always produces heavy snow.
2 likes   
#neversummer

DallasAg
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#127 Postby DallasAg » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:30 am

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Heading back to CO tomorrow morning. Looks like a major winter storm on tap for up here. Our watch has been issued for 11-28”. Looks to be a true “Albuquerque Low” which almost always produces heavy snow.

Looks like the front range should cash in with this one. We got a surprise 4" overnight in CB. The main show wasn't supposed to start until later today, so hopefully this is a sign that the storm will over produce for many.
2 likes   

DukeMu
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#128 Postby DukeMu » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:32 am

Cpv17 wrote:

I’m gonna be honest. I really don’t care much for cold in March and points on from there. I feel like cold should come November through February. By March I’m ready for some warmer weather once I get a taste of it. Just how I feel.

March farther north is a transition month. The warm stuff begins in April and May. Where I grew up in NC the summer highs are also 7-8°F cooler. May in CLL and SETX is far too humid. If it were drier it would be more tolerable. Then ironically in CLL it stops raining in May or June.

I never complain about cooler or cold temps in Texas.
3 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#129 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:51 am

DallasAg wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:Heading back to CO tomorrow morning. Looks like a major winter storm on tap for up here. Our watch has been issued for 11-28”. Looks to be a true “Albuquerque Low” which almost always produces heavy snow.

Looks like the front range should cash in with this one. We got a surprise 4" overnight in CB. The main show wasn't supposed to start until later today, so hopefully this is a sign that the storm will over produce for many.

Fingers crossed.
0 likes   
#neversummer

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:28 pm

High ceiling tomorrow if storms can initiate along the dryline. Moisture might be just below where it needs to be but it'll be close. Really fine line between seeing potentially significant tornadoes or no storms at all. Since it's March, I'm a little skeptical on the cap breaking but it's certainly a possibility. Reminds me of 4/19 last year except a little farther east.

Models continue to show a better and better environment despite CAMs not convecting so far.
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:17 pm

ElectricStorm wrote:High ceiling tomorrow if storms can initiate along the dryline. Moisture might be just below where it needs to be but it'll be close. Really fine line between seeing potentially significant tornadoes or no storms at all. Since it's March, I'm a little skeptical on the cap breaking but it's certainly a possibility. Reminds me of 4/19 last year except a little farther east.

Models continue to show a better and better environment despite CAMs not convecting so far.

The inversion is the main concern here, HRRR has DPs in the upper 50s to lower 60s tomorrow
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#132 Postby Edwards Limestone » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:47 pm

QPF already dropped quite a bit since yesterday for SC TX.
Scary to think about where we'd be without that freak January rain event.

Canyon Lake is still at near all time lows.
0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#133 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:00 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:QPF already dropped quite a bit since yesterday for SC TX.

Where did you see that? 12z models look quite good for south central Texas. I'm thinking widespread 1-2 inch totals are likely across a large part of the state later this week through the weekend.
3 likes   

Wthrfan
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#134 Postby Wthrfan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:34 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:QPF already dropped quite a bit since yesterday for SC TX.

Got a boat stuck in some hydrilla on Canyon Lake last June. Expensive day!
1 likes   

Edwards Limestone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#135 Postby Edwards Limestone » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:41 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:

Where did you see that? 12z models look quite good for south central Texas. I'm thinking widespread 1-2 inch totals are likely across a large part of the state later this week through the weekend.

I hope you're right.

I was just looking at the GFS ensembles, looks like highest totals are north and east of me at least.

0 likes   
The above post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

DukeMu
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#136 Postby DukeMu » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:15 pm

Edwards Limestone wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:

I hope you're right.

I was just looking at the GFS ensembles, looks like highest totals are north and east of me at least.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2024031212/gfs-ens_apcpn_us_19.png

Yes, the GFS has capitulated to the Euro and Canadian.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:12 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
ElectricStorm wrote:High ceiling tomorrow if storms can initiate along the dryline. Moisture might be just below where it needs to be but it'll be close. Really fine line between seeing potentially significant tornadoes or no storms at all. Since it's March, I'm a little skeptical on the cap breaking but it's certainly a possibility. Reminds me of 4/19 last year except a little farther east.

The inversion is the main concern here, HRRR has DPs in the upper 50s to lower 60s tomorrow

I think if Td's can get slightly higher it'll be enough to break it but we'll see. 2% tornado area expanded west now
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#138 Postby Brent » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:36 pm

Cpv17 wrote:

Yeah I don't really disagree here... It's never the same in March anyway and especially after how bad this winter was I just want to move on tbh :lol: this winter blew its chances here

On the other hand... If we could keep the below normal temps that would be good :lol:

I still don't see anything that cold either... No worse than the weekend was so far which I mean Saturday was chilly(wow one whole day :spam: ) but it is still a month that we can get really cold
1 likes   
#neversummer

Anti-freeze
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#139 Postby Anti-freeze » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:48 am

Extreme fire weather risk for the TX panhandle today, critical for most of west TX:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/fire_wx/fwdy1.html

The 2 biggest fires had reached 89% and 94% containment this morning:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-wildfires-near-containment-extremely-critical-fire-weather-conditions-panhandle/

And...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-largest-ever-wildfire-smokehouse-creek-ignited-by-power-company-facilities-company-admits/

Xcel Energy, a Minneapolis-based company that powers homes across the eight states in the West and Midwest, said Thursday that its facilities played a role in the massive wildfires in the Texas Panhandle that have left at least two people dead, burned more than a million acres of land and killed thousands of animals.

(Including an estimated 10,000 cattle)
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#140 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:25 pm

Not seeing it today for anything south of the Kansas border. Cap just looks a little too strong and too much dry air aloft. I'd probably say at least a 90% chance of nothing developing, although seeing a storm or two somewhere technically isn't impossible.
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”