Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Florida Weather

#16021 Postby gatorcane » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:04 pm

Here we go again. Tons of rain falling along the coast here in SE Palm Beach County. We are getting some of the fringe effects from Cristobal as we are seeing a deep tropical moisture plume straight from the Caribbean.
0 likes   

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16022 Postby AdamFirst » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:45 pm

Super soaker of a day here. I work in Stuart and it was a relentless deluge most of the morning.
0 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16023 Postby toad strangler » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:53 pm

AdamFirst wrote:Super soaker of a day here. I work in Stuart and it was a relentless deluge most of the morning.

I work in Stuart as well and there was major flooding on SE Dixie Hwy. just south of Indian Street. I mean white caps and all .....
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#16024 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:12 am

Yesterday afternoons NWS: Miami forecast discussion is probably the first time I've seen the Bermuda High mentioned this year. Here are some tidbits from it. :eek:

An active afternoon should continue as a 500mb short wave sits
just to the north of the area. At the surface, a Bermuda high is
bringing a southeasterly flow. There is also a wave of deep sub
tropical moisture moving through the area.

The Bermuda high has
been helping to steer the convection to the northwest, away from
the Atlantic metro area this afternoon, although still not able to
rule out some isolated activity through the evening.

An upper level disturbance, together with a Bermuda high and some
subtropical moisture are bringing SHRA and TSRA to a good part of
South Florida through the evening hours.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#16025 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:00 am

The drought throughout Florida is quickly being erased. :D

https://twitter.com/JimCantore/status/1268524301709463553

3 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#16026 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:30 pm

Does anyone in South Florida think the NWS: Miami will continue the Flood Watch past 8am tomorrow morning considering that rain chances stay elevated through at least the next several days?
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16027 Postby chaser1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:28 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Does anyone in South Florida think the NWS: Miami will continue the Flood Watch past 8am tomorrow morning considering that rain chances stay elevated through at least the next several days?

I would expect that you guys would continue to be under a Flood Watch given the heavy fetch of moisture continuing to be pushed up from the south. Here in the Orlando area, we've generally been receiving less then coastal areas but we've now been added under an expanded Flood Watch. I don't expect to see any street flooding in my immediate area but a solid 3"-4" seems reasonable.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16028 Postby toad strangler » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:56 pm

Heavy rains moving in from the S yet again on the FL E Coast after a reprieve on Thursday.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#16029 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:16 pm

0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16030 Postby northjaxpro » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:07 pm

Any other news/reports on the damages or injuries to people from the Orlando downtown area?
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#16031 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:27 pm

northjaxpro wrote:Any other news/reports on the damages or injuries to people from the Orlando downtown area?

Haven’t heard anything. Likely considering it struck right before dark. If I had to guess it was likely a EF-0 or EF-1 with minor structural damage, that’s just my guess.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#16032 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:31 pm

Looks like we’re going to get a backdoor cold front on Wednesday here in Florida. Tidbit from this afternoon’s NWS: Miami discussion.

Wednesday through Friday...

Flow then gradually returns out of the east by mid to late week
as the southwestern extension of the Atlantic ridge builds,
propelling a backdoor cold front across South Florida. Given the
aforementioned moisture already in place, convective coverage
could become more scattered to numerous on Wednesday from east to
west as the front pushes through the region. As the front washes
out, PWATS drop between 1.0 to 1.5 inches with drier air working
it`s way into the area. However, 30 to 40 percent POPs remain in
the forecast through the remainder of the period as a TUTT-like
feature over the western Atlantic fuses with a digging longwave
trough over the Florida peninsula. These lowering mid- level
heights should help provide favorable, synoptically driven lift
for showers and thunderstorms initiation across the area each
afternoon.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16033 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:12 am

We hit the rainfall bonanza here in Northeast Florida as very.heavy tropical rsins have dumped tremendous rainfall amounts, especiaily overnight and continues here at my station. We are sitting at 4.8 inches, but that was before this current wave of rain moving through my locale . We are going to be adding more to the gauge here shortly in rainfall amounts before this event ends here with Cristobal's tropical envelope here in the next 36 hours. The cyclone will move away up the Mississippi River Valley rregion the next couple of days.

Wow, on May 25, I did not have any significant rain measured for May. We had Tropical Storm Bertha come along and gave us 1.8 inches total. Now Cristobal's far reaching effects has brought us more than 3 times the rain Bertha did.

The power of Mother Nature!! She never ceases to amaze me! It goes from one extreme to another. It happens like this seemingly all the time!

Also, I am wondering about Downtown Orlando and the tornado that touched down there last night. I have not heard much about damages or potential injuries there. Great footage I saw of that tornado last night as well.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16034 Postby toad strangler » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:41 am

Have had 16" of rain on the Treasure Coast since starting on May 16th. I'm lookin for a break.
0 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16035 Postby HurricaneBelle » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Here on the west coast, we're getting our typical tropical-storm-in-the-Gulf weather. First we get a lot of rain and not much wind, and then once the storm's center crosses our latitude the winds shift to S and SW and start gusting, it's been blowing with gusts 30-35 at times and now the rain has pretty much stopped.
2 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#16036 Postby Patrick99 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:43 am

It hasn't rained a drop in my area of Miami for pretty much a week now, though it has been cloudy. I am kind of surprised at that, I feel like normally, with tropical storms in that position in the Gulf, a "tail" often sets up over the peninsula and gives us a fair bit of rain.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16037 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:50 am

Cristobal really, really gave us a deluge, not only across my locale, but across most of North and Northeast Florida. The lopsided cyclone brought a very rich supply of deep tropical moisture to the region.

My final tally here at my locale was just under 7.25 inches. Most areas on average received 4-6 inches, although there were localized areas with up to 7 inches, like my home station. I was expecting the heaviest rainfall areas to be farther west over the Big Bend and the Panhandle. But Cristobal's lopsided structure was much more far reaching from the CoC, and the cyclone landfalled quite a bit farther east than what most of the model guidance showed, even back on Saturday. These factors were huge in terms of our massive rain totals from this event, which concluded last night.

So, how quickly things change! We went from having virtually no rain measured of any significance during the month of May across Northeast Florida, just over two weeks ago, to flooding concerns across some areas over the region. I have picked up just over 9 inches of rainfall since May 25, thanks to T.S. Bertha and T.S. Cristobal. Drought over Lol..

Mother Nature! She never ceases to amaze me!
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16038 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:35 pm

I talked to a buddy of mine who coordinates with The NWS Tallahassee office, who informed him that portions of the Suwanee River Valley and Eastern Big Bend region ended up getting from 7 inches to up to 12 inches of rainfall in Suwanee County and Hamilton County, from Cristobal over the weekend.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16039 Postby psyclone » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:14 pm

WPC QPF estimates consistently showed the big bend of Florida would be the big winner in Cristobol related rainfall. they were on target. It's nice to see the sun again and a more typical convective regime..
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#16040 Postby psyclone » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Classic west coast seabreeze collision on the docket this evening. Whopper storms will head westward
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”