Texas wildfires-Updated

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas wildfires

#41 Postby Ptarmigan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:13 pm

The drought and heat wave was bad enough, but wildfires are worse. :grr: :cry:
0 likes   

Turtle
Category 1
Category 1

#42 Postby Turtle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:25 pm

There are some fires somewhat close to me. I see smoky skies and ashes in the air. It's probably far, but I've never been this 'close' to one.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Shoshana » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Looking west from our house in NE Austin nr P'ville I can see a line of what I think is smoke going N to S
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#44 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Tireman4 wrote:This just breaks my heart. I mean this Summer, we have suffered throught the hottest summer ever, the hottest month ever, the driest year ever and now this. My goodness.

My thoughts exactly. And there is still no hope in sight. Sigh.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#45 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Latest from Jeff:

Fire Weather Emergency (Monday PM)‏

Catastrophic fire weather event continues to unfold across Texas

Thousands of residents are displaced, hundreds of homes have burned, and over 35,000 acres have burned in the last two days.

Fire fighting capabilities are being depleted, Texas has executed its mutual aid agreement and out of state resources are responding including heavy air tankers, helicopters, and fire strike teams from the western US.

Since Sunday morning: over 550 homes have burned, 35,000 acres burned, 6,500 residents evacuated, 78 major fires have developed (countless other smaller fires, 500 acres or less).

Austin FD is requesting anyone with fire fighting experience to call 512-978-1187, ground resources have been depleted across central Texas.

Bastrop Fire:

Catastrophic fire has now burned 26,000 acres and 476 homes. Hundreds of homes are threatened and 5,000 residents are under mandatory evacuation orders in 19 subdivisions. Several entire subdivisions along HWY 21 and HWY 71 have burned. HWY 21 and HWY 71 are closed. 50% of Bastrop State Park has burned. Thousands of fire fighters are responding from across the state along with several heavy air tankers from as far away as South Dakota and multiple Blackhawk helicopters. There is great need for animal/livestock transport and housing from this fire, I do not have a contact number for this effort. This fire is 0% contained.

Spicewood Fire:

6,400 acres have burned with 22 homes lost and 64 damaged in 5 subdivisions. Fire extended from Honey Flat on Lake Travis to Dripping Springs. Fire is 80% contained, but continues to flare up on the eastern flank. Grounds crews are holding fire lines.

Steiner Ranch Fire:

Unknown acres burned. 25 homes lost and 20 damaged (preliminary). 300 homes were saved. Unknown containment

Leon County Fire:

3,500 acres burning in tall grass and Cedar trees. 300 residents evacuated to College Station area. 50 homes are threatened and 15 have burned including 1 church. Fire is 10% contained.

Grimes/Montgomery County Fire:

150 acres burning in pine forest. Fire is burning hot and fast toward the south with long crown runs in the tops of Pine trees. 60 homes in the Lake Holly Hills subdivision are threatened (under mandatory evacuations). Shelters are set up at Magnolia High School and the Magnolia Community Center. Fire is 0% contained and there is no air support for this fire. ANYONE WITH TRAILERS OR TRUCKS IN THE MAGNOLIA AREA CAN HELP DAKOTA RESCUE AND COLLIE RESCUE GET OUT? COLLIE RESCUE HAS 27 DOGS IN LINE OF FIRE....NEAR 1774.

Update: Evacuation area being expanded shortly.

All air resources have been depleted.

Houston County Fire:

Fire is burning in Houston County. Mandatory evacuation in effect along CR 4505, 4529, 4520 and PR 9542. A shelter has been set up in Crockett.

Numerous other fires are burning across east and northeast Texas with hundreds of homes being threatened and thousands of acres burning especially around Longview and in Gregg County. There are just too many to go through. You can visit the Texas Forecast Service website for updates on current fires: http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/ar ... x?id=12888

Weather Conditions:

Gusty north winds will weaken overnight, but RH will be very slow to recover. Ongoing fires should slow allowing ground crews to make offensive gains. Winds will pick up again on Tuesday but stay in the 5-15mph range. Fire conditions will remain critical for the rest of the week, although winds will be weaker.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

txwxpirate
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#46 Postby txwxpirate » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:12 pm

From Rep. Lloyd Doggett: BASTROP EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT - Residents at South Ridge and Mount Olive please leave now

Two deaths have been reported - a mother and child
why? she didn't want to leave her home...
C'mon people move it.

Thanks David and all for helping me keep my peeps updated.

Getting a bit to close to Houston for me (Magnolia)
0 likes   
Show Me That Horizon
Nassau Bay, Tx

txwxpirate
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#47 Postby txwxpirate » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:19 pm

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distribut ... 71?sk=wall

For those who want to help our victims in Bastrop
0 likes   
Show Me That Horizon
Nassau Bay, Tx

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#48 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 pm

The Magnolia fire is WAY to close!! We have friends within 4 miles S of the fire that are out of town and then our children both live S of it also. I am so happy the winds have died down some. That will be helpful. Hopefully that will stop the crown runs till they can get air support in. This could turn worse than the Bastrop fire if they can't get it under control soon. I am pretty sure the area South of the fire is more heavily populated than the Bastrop area that has burned and that is what scares me about it. Fortunately it is still a small fire by comparison.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#49 Postby Houstonia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Current fires in Houston Fire Department area (the letters and numbers are the responding units):

UNKNOWN LOCATION 09/05/2011 19:45 Grass Fire 0 E032, D004, B032

N DEER LAKE RD BLK BAMBI CIR 338L 09/05/2011 19:19 Woods on Fire 0 E065, B103, E103, UC103, M065

OLD SAM 09/05/2011 18:27 Grass Fire 0 D102, E063, B063

CLIMBER CT SUNDOWNER DR 448C 09/05/2011 17:26 Grass Fire 0 E077, B077, B066, E082, B082
0 likes   

txwxpirate
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#50 Postby txwxpirate » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:34 pm

vb: I keep hearing two reports on the Magnolia fire
either its raging or under control???
Its crazy.
0 likes   
Show Me That Horizon
Nassau Bay, Tx

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#51 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:54 pm

txwxpirate wrote:vb: I keep hearing two reports on the Magnolia fire
either its raging or under control???
Its crazy.

I have seen nothing saying it is under control. Where are the reports coming from?
In fact I am receiving reports of more small fires happening within HFD jurisdiction.

edit: Just saw on Channel 26 that the fire is DEFINITELY NOT UNDER CONTROL.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#52 Postby Houstonia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:59 pm

vbhoutex wrote:Latest from Jeff:

Fire Weather Emergency (Monday PM)‏

Catastrophic fire weather event continues to unfold across Texas

Thousands of residents are displaced, hundreds of homes have burned, and over 35,000 acres have burned in the last two days.

Fire fighting capabilities are being depleted, Texas has executed its mutual aid agreement and out of state resources are responding including heavy air tankers, helicopters, and fire strike teams from the western US.

Since Sunday morning: over 550 homes have burned, 35,000 acres burned, 6,500 residents evacuated, 78 major fires have developed (countless other smaller fires, 500 acres or less).

Austin FD is requesting anyone with fire fighting experience to call 512-978-1187, ground resources have been depleted across central Texas.

Bastrop Fire:

Catastrophic fire has now burned 26,000 acres and 476 homes. Hundreds of homes are threatened and 5,000 residents are under mandatory evacuation orders in 19 subdivisions. Several entire subdivisions along HWY 21 and HWY 71 have burned. HWY 21 and HWY 71 are closed. 50% of Bastrop State Park has burned. Thousands of fire fighters are responding from across the state along with several heavy air tankers from as far away as South Dakota and multiple Blackhawk helicopters. There is great need for animal/livestock transport and housing from this fire, I do not have a contact number for this effort. This fire is 0% contained.

Spicewood Fire:

6,400 acres have burned with 22 homes lost and 64 damaged in 5 subdivisions. Fire extended from Honey Flat on Lake Travis to Dripping Springs. Fire is 80% contained, but continues to flare up on the eastern flank. Grounds crews are holding fire lines.

Steiner Ranch Fire:

Unknown acres burned. 25 homes lost and 20 damaged (preliminary). 300 homes were saved. Unknown containment

Leon County Fire:

3,500 acres burning in tall grass and Cedar trees. 300 residents evacuated to College Station area. 50 homes are threatened and 15 have burned including 1 church. Fire is 10% contained.

Grimes/Montgomery County Fire:

150 acres burning in pine forest. Fire is burning hot and fast toward the south with long crown runs in the tops of Pine trees. 60 homes in the Lake Holly Hills subdivision are threatened (under mandatory evacuations). Shelters are set up at Magnolia High School and the Magnolia Community Center. Fire is 0% contained and there is no air support for this fire. ANYONE WITH TRAILERS OR TRUCKS IN THE MAGNOLIA AREA CAN HELP DAKOTA RESCUE AND COLLIE RESCUE GET OUT? COLLIE RESCUE HAS 27 DOGS IN LINE OF FIRE....NEAR 1774.

Update: Evacuation area being expanded shortly.

All air resources have been depleted.

Houston County Fire:

Fire is burning in Houston County. Mandatory evacuation in effect along CR 4505, 4529, 4520 and PR 9542. A shelter has been set up in Crockett.

Numerous other fires are burning across east and northeast Texas with hundreds of homes being threatened and thousands of acres burning especially around Longview and in Gregg County. There are just too many to go through. You can visit the Texas Forecast Service website for updates on current fires: http://txforestservice.tamu.edu/main/ar ... x?id=12888

Weather Conditions:

Gusty north winds will weaken overnight, but RH will be very slow to recover. Ongoing fires should slow allowing ground crews to make offensive gains. Winds will pick up again on Tuesday but stay in the 5-15mph range. Fire conditions will remain critical for the rest of the week, although winds will be weaker.

VB, how do you get the Lindner updates? Do you have to work for emergency management?
0 likes   

txwxpirate
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#53 Postby txwxpirate » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:06 pm

VB: guess you are correct the one email I got proved wrong about
it being "under control"

From Magnolia ISD: All Magnolia ISD schools will be closed for Tuesday, September 6, 2011 due to wild fires in the Magnolia Area.

BTW: This is EMMY from facebook - I speak to some of you there.
0 likes   
Show Me That Horizon
Nassau Bay, Tx

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#54 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Latest update:
Major fire continues in extreme western Montgomery County/extreme eastern Grimes/eastern Waller Counties.

Fire has burned 1,600 acres and 20 homes have been lost. 1 fire truck was lost when the fire lines were breached injuring 1 fire fighter. Numerous fire departments from Grimes, Waller, Montgomery, Harris, and Brazos Counties are responding along with TFS dozer crews. There continues to be limited air support for this fire as all air resources are currently working other fires burning across the state. TFS crews are working to cut fire lines and ground crews are working water in/around structures. Crews are trying to save structures at this time and are not offensively fighting this fire.

The evacuation area has been expanded and now includes an estimated 8,000 residents in the following locations:

In Montgomery County: All residents from the west side of Magnolia between FM 1774 and FM 1486 to the Grimes County line

In Waller County: All residents along FM 1774, FM 1488, and along Riley and Bower Roads

In Grimes County: All residents Lake Holly Springs subdivision, FM 1774 south of CR 302.

This fire is 0% contained.

Note: The request earlier for animal help has been satisfied.

Bastrop Fire:

Has now burned 32,000 acres in the last 30 hours. Fire is 0% contained. Heavy air support continues to attack the southern and eastern flank of this fire now burning along Hwy 71 and Hwy 21. Thousands of residents are evacuated and hundreds of homes have burned and at least 1,000 more homes are threatened. There continues to be the need for trailers capable of moving livestock and locations to house livestock.

Weather:

While extremely dry air remains in place, winds have greatly calmed in the last few hours (under 10mph) and this should allow ground crews the opportunity to attack this fire. Winds will begin to increase by mid morning Tuesday, but should average about 10mph weaker than today. Very dry conditions will continue for the rest of this week with afternoon RH less than 30% and NNE winds 5-15mph. Lighter winds should help fire fighters gain control of the ongoing fires.

NO RAIN IS FORECAST FOR THE NEXT 10-14 DAYS!

This is quickly turning into a major disaster!! Now at 25 homes lost.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#55 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Finally some good news!

From Montgomery County Emergency Management: "The latest information from the Fire Departments is that the head of the fire south of FM 1488 in Montgomery and Waller Counties is contained. Other areas of the fire are still being battled to insure containment.

The shelter at the Community Center in Magnolia is being moved to Magnolia High School on FM 1488."

This means they have at least slowed the fast advance South. This is way to close to our friends house and at least 25 structures have already been lost. My son lives in Cypress and he says there is heavy traffic in his area with FD and others heading into the area to help with the fire and evacs of both animals and people.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#56 Postby brunota2003 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:50 pm

I wish there was a way I could get down there to help. It is times like these that a deployment of a brigade of soldiers could certainly come in handy.
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby Shoshana » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:47 pm

Seen on Facebook:

Texas Storm Chasers
So many fires that we can't compile a list of them all. For info on a fire near you, check your local emergency management or news source.

Scary.
0 likes   

Turtle
Category 1
Category 1

#58 Postby Turtle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:04 am

Interesting, I've got 3 wildfires within 25 miles of me. 1 is pretty much gone but another has popped up in the last 15 minutes. :eek: Luckily I'm far enough so that I won't have to evacuate or anything.

Check out this site for a navigable map of the ongoing wildfires in Texas.

http://tx.dtswildfire.com/
0 likes   

Shoshana
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby Shoshana » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:47 am

City of Austin:

Sep 5, 2011 11:21:32 PM

Fire updates

Austin residents should note that with temperatures dropping overnight, there's a potential that the smoke from the fires will lower towards the ground tonight and tomorrow morning. This could lead to fog-like conditions and poor visibility. Those with respiratory problems should avoid outdoor activity.

Mandatory evacuations are in effect for areas in Bastrop, Cedar Creek, and Steiner Ranch. See "Latest News" for specific areas.

Travis County evacuees can receive the latest evacuation information by calling (512) 974-6199. Residents can continue to check this website for the latest updates.

Residents cannot yet return to their homes because of fire. Power is gradually being restored to the areas of Steiner Ranch not damaged by fire.

Sheltering operations for large animals are at Georgetown Rodeo Arena located in San Gabriel Park off of Interstate Highway 35.

State Highway 71 remains closed until further notice from the Pedernales River to Fall Creek.

Bush, River Ridge and Steiner Elementary Schools as well as Canyon Ridge Middle School will be closed Tuesday.

The boat ramp on Mansfield Dam Park has been reopened to normal traffic.

The American Red Cross of Central Texas is accepting monetary donations only at centex.redcross.org.

A Red Flag Warning remains in effect for the Austin/Travis County area. Citizens are strongly encouraged to NOT use any open flames outdoors.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#60 Postby southerngale » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:19 am

A chilling Fire Warning - I can't even imagine! My heart goes out to everyone affected. :(

Fire Warning

TXC021-060900-

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
FIRE WARNING
TEXAS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO TEXAS
RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO TX
1211 AM CDT TUE SEP 6 2011

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE
BASTROP COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICIALS.

A NEW MANDATORY EVACUATION NOTICE HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR PEOPLE IN
THE FOLLOWING RESIDENCES NEAR THE WILDFIRE EAST OF BASTROP IN
BASTROP COUNTY...

ALL RESIDENTS IN TAHITIAN VILLAGE GET OUT NOW. THE FIRES ARE
MAKING A RUN TO THE WEST TO UNBURNED PORTIONS OF TAHITIAN
VILLAGE.

IF YOU ARE IN DANGER AND CANNOT EVACUATE FROM THESE AREAS...
PLEASE CALL 911.

A MANDATORY EVACUATION NOTICE REMAINS IN EFFECT DUE TO ONGOING
WILDFIRES FOR PEOPLE IN THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS NEAR THE
WILDFIRE EAST OF BASTROP IN BASTROP COUNTY...

ALL RESIDENTS THE HOBBS CREEK SUBDIVISION.

WILDFIRES FOR PEOPLE IN THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS NEAR THE
WILDFIRE EAST OF BASTROP IN BASTROP COUNTY...

ALL RESIDENTS NEAR BASTROP STATE PARK AND BUESCHER STATE PARK
EXTENDING ALL THE WAY TO FM ROAD 2104. THIS AREA INCLUDES THE
RESIDENCES ALONG GOTIER TRACE ROAD...ANTIOCH ROAD...AND OLD POTATO
ROAD.

WILDFIRES FOR PEOPLE IN THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS FROM THE FIRE
LOCATED IN THE CEDAR CREEK AREA...

ALL RESIDENTS IN THE AREAS BETWEEN HIGHWAY 21 AND FM ROAD 1209...
NEAR LEISURE LANE...AND NEAR AND TO THE SOUTHWEST OF UNION CHAPEL
ROAD.

WILDFIRES FOR PEOPLE IN THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS FROM THE FIRE EAST
OF BASTROP...

ALL RESIDENTS IN THE TAHITIAN VILLAGE SUBDIVISION...THE COLOVISTA
SUBDIVISION...AND ALL OF THE COLONY...ALL OF CIRCLE D COUNTY ACRES
AREA...ALL OF THE LAKE BASTROP ACRES SUBDIVISION...PINE VIEW
WEST...LAKE BASTROP PINE...ALL OF TAHITIAN VILLAGE...COLOVISTA...ALAN
CREEK...BASTROP STATE PARK...COTTLE TOWN TO THE RIVER...RESIDENTS
ALONG HARMON ROAD AND PINE HILL LOOP...ALL HOMES ON SCHWANTZ RANCH
ROAD...ALL HOMES ON OLD POTATO ROAD...AND ALL HOMES ALONG HIGHWAY
21 EAST EXTENDING TO PAIGE...ALL HOMES FROM 2571 FURR MAYS ROAD
WEST TO HIGHWAY 304 AND FM 2571...RESIDENTS ALONG YOUNG SCHOOL
HOUSE ROAD AND HALL ROAD...EISLEY ROAD...TINER CUTOFF...OAK HILL
CEMETERY ROAD...CRAPE MYRTLE DRIVE...AND HERRON TRAIL...ALL
RESIDENTS IN PINE VALLEY LOOP....LA REATA SUBDIVISION...AND ALL
HOMES ON WILHELM WAY...LEE ROAD...WHITWORTH LANE...AND ON THE
EASTERN SIDE OF WATTERSON ROAD.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”