Tweet your reports

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

Tweet your reports

#1 Postby JonathanBelles » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:39 pm

The NWS is experimenting with Twitter to receive severe weather reports from the public:

http://www.weather.gov/stormreports/

*Stickied by vbhoutex*
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Tweet your reports

#2 Postby Stephanie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:39 am

I think it's cool, but I do not have my tweet location selected because I want it to be private. I also don't think that everyone is going to remember to put "WW" before your location and then again before the weather condition. I think that the NWS can do better than that.

I did save #wxreport under my saved searches.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3 Postby brunota2003 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:40 am

While I have never used this feature, I do use twitter for most of my weather reports. I have a tendency to run on in great detail when given the chance, and when severe weather is going on...that stuff is not needed. Twitter, with it's 140 character limit, forces me to condense everything down, and get to the "meat" of the report. I then, sometimes, follow up with a report through the eSpotter system if there is something I feel should be detailed, or if there are other interesting things ongoing (always let them know you are going to submit a follow up via eSpotter, so they don't think it is a separate report).

For example, with the Halloween squall line, I saw a couple power flashes off to my WNW as the line approached. I submitted the report via twitter, and then followed up later that morning on eSpotter detailing what exactly I saw. If you don't have an eSpotter account, you can simply e-mail your local weather office your details later.

One thing I am guilty of, though...remember to give them your location! I tend to forget, which can result in either them asking you or having to follow up (if you realize it before they message you back).
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#4 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:53 am

I usually call in my reports.
I set up an espotter account but the first time I tried to use it it came back that my NWS office doesn't have it set up. In Houston???
I probably need to set up a twitter account, but haven't yet. You know-old people-new things, etc. :cheesy: :cheesy:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Claire
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#5 Postby Claire » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:44 am

It is a great idea to receive public reports on weather. We will be able to know about any weather events that will occur in the local areas. It will also help us to get the accurate weather reports on time. It might be an experiment right know but it will help both the public and NWS.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”