SKYWARN

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
george_r_1961
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: SKYWARN

#21 Postby george_r_1961 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:20 pm

I took the advanced course this evening taught by Mike Montefusco from the Wakefield, VA office of the National Weather Service.

The presentation was excellent and this was one of the few times I actually conversed one on one with a pro met. I learned alot from both his presentation and our brief conversations during the break and after the class.

It was a great was to spend an evening. :D
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#22 Postby Houstonia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:27 pm

I took one Skywarn class and would like to re-take that one as well as more if they are offered. However, it seems that in Houston, they are only offered in the spring. Is this correct?

Also looking to take the amateur radio exam, but I can't find my book to study and i think I should take another class for that as well.
0 likes   

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby brunota2003 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:01 pm

A lot of the weather offices put out a schedule, and most of the classes are during the spring (Jan to June, really)...however, if you know a bunch of others that would like to take the class as well, you can e-mail the Skywarn person and see if a class can be set up.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#24 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Houstonia wrote:I took one Skywarn class and would like to re-take that one as well as more if they are offered. However, it seems that in Houston, they are only offered in the spring. Is this correct?

Also looking to take the amateur radio exam, but I can't find my book to study and i think I should take another class for that as well.

Skywarn classes are only offered in the Winter and early Spring in the SE TX area. You can find them listed on the Hou/Gal NWS site.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

tomboudreau
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby tomboudreau » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:33 pm

NWS Pittsburgh held a Skywarn class this year as a webinar. You had to sign up for the class through their website, you received an email with a unique username and password to connect into the webinar, and an 800 number to dial in to listen to it. It was well presented with over 100 ppl dialed into the webiner, it was well attended as well. They are discussing having an advanced class like this next year.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#26 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 pm

tomboudreau wrote:NWS Pittsburgh held a Skywarn class this year as a webinar. You had to sign up for the class through their website, you received an email with a unique username and password to connect into the webinar, and an 800 number to dial in to listen to it. It was well presented with over 100 ppl dialed into the webiner, it was well attended as well. They are discussing having an advanced class like this next year.

I wish they would do that or something similar or at least double the amount of classes presented here in Houston. It sure would get a lot more qualified spotters available here in our area.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#27 Postby JonathanBelles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:08 am

I attended an online spotter training class this evening and became recertified. There will be an advanced spotter training class in a few weeks online by NWS Tallahassee.
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#28 Postby Houstonia » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:10 am

anyone can sign up for the online skywarn classes? and it will be okay for Texas skywarn?
0 likes   

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#29 Postby JonathanBelles » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:18 am

The Tally skywarn class is local to the area, but I do not see why it cannot be applied to the other areas of the South. There is one localized question on the skywarn exam, but that should not block you from passing it.
0 likes   

MississippiHurricane
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#30 Postby MississippiHurricane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:14 am

When I went to Birmingham's open house back a few years ago they had an advanced spotter class...it was a calling conference type of thing and they had no problems with me taking it. It should not matter where you take the classes at as long as you take them and if your certified then you should be certified for the whole country.
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#31 Postby vbhoutex » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Houstonia wrote:anyone can sign up for the online skywarn classes? and it will be okay for Texas skywarn?

There are several in the Houston area between now and March. Do you not want to go to one? I am going for a refresher in March at the Transtar Center. I may look at taking the advanced online if they don't have it at the session I am attending. I know they do have at least one Advanced Skywarn class scheduled. They are all listed under the Skywarn link at the HOU/GAL NWS site.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

EF-5bigj
Category 3
Category 3

#32 Postby EF-5bigj » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:43 pm

I took a skywarn class in my area :) I learned a lot from it for sure
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#33 Postby vbhoutex » Sat May 25, 2013 7:14 pm

EF-5bigj wrote:I took a skywarn class in my area :) I learned a lot from it for sure

Glad to hear that!! The more Skywarn spotters we have the better the coverage we have when there are severe events taking place. Spotters help NWS get confirmation of what they are seeing on their radars. Our reports are also used to issue warnings if NWS feels they are warranted.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby brunota2003 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:49 pm

I recently got certified with the Weather Office in Jackson (KY). I'm usually relaying pictures and reports to them, from snow to severe weather. In the eastern part of my county, there is no one other than me (that I know of) really interested in weather, or being a spotter. Since I live in the far western part of the CWA, I kind of consider myself the "test dummy" :lol: or first line of defense. The storms have to go through us to get to our east.

In eastern NC (MHX), I helped verify a storm producing hail, and reported a wall cloud. In Va I prompted a special weather statement after reporting 40 to 45 mph winds (I had to call the weather office in NC and ask them to relay, as I didn't have the office in Va's #). In NY, I sent in snowfall totals, and was one of the reasons a winter weather advisory was upgraded to a winter storm warning. I also verified what was coming down, as we had several freezing rain episodes, where a degree or two was the difference between a cold rain, snow or freezing rain.

Weather is certainly a fun hobby, and letting the NWS know what is going on (especially if you are far away from the office, or no one is in your area) can really help with warnings or other statements, and are just as important for verification of warnings, radar rainfall/snowfall estimates, etc.
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby AdamFirst » Sat May 12, 2018 9:29 pm

I took a basic course this morning in Stuart. Scott Spratt from the Melbourne WFO was our instructor. Very informative. If I have time I'll be taking the advanced course in July. I had taken a basic course back in 2011 (in Indian River County) but I never got re-certified.
0 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#36 Postby chaser1 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 am

AdamFirst wrote:I took a basic course this morning in Stuart. Scott Spratt from the Melbourne WFO was our instructor. Very informative. If I have time I'll be taking the advanced course in July. I had taken a basic course back in 2011 (in Indian River County) but I never got re-certified.

Adam, how long (hours or days) was the class that you took? Also, is there a different designation or name of certification for the advanced class? I've been long considering to take the Skywarn course myself as I was a Cooperative Weather Observer from way back before Skywarn was implemented.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#37 Postby vbhoutex » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:19 pm

I haven't seen any activity on this forum in a LONG TIME.
I still want to encourage any and all of our members to become SKYWARN certified!! The classes are interesting and as others have said previously the NWS uses spotter reports for localized and better warnings for your area.
3 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby FireRat » Fri May 12, 2023 11:54 pm

Nice to see some activity here, I actually got my SKYWARN class and certificate this past March in Raleigh, NC after thinking about it for a while. :)
0 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#39 Postby Jr0d » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:03 pm

I got my Skywarn certificate earlier this year. Not part of the program but certainly would be interested if needed.
3 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#40 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:29 am

Glad to see some activity on this forum.
Now let's ramp it up and have at least 25 members become SKYWARN SPOTTERS/CERTIFIED!! I'd love to see 100 become certified!!
It is a very informative program to gain more understanding of severe weather and how it works. There are regular and advanced SKYWARN levels.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”