Severe Weather Threat for 11/17 for FL, SE GA, SC & NC

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#21 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Well, the intense squall line has moved through my home localee and is now making its way through the Beaches area and moving offshore. What a wicked line for sure. Picked up nearly an inch of rain in just 13 minutes! On my weather staton anenometer, measureda peak wind gust of 58 mph during the time when the squall line moved through. Checking to see about any damage reports within the Jax area. Here at my locale, I am not seeing any damage thankfully, besides some downed tree limbs and branches and some other scattered debris. I am curious about near downtown where NWS did report a cell with significant rotation in the San Marco area within the past 30 minutes or so.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby psyclone » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:07 pm

This SVR threat was clearly under discussed in previous days. With the developing el nino we may see an increased number of these events over the winter.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: Severe Weather Threat for 11/17 for FL, SE GA, SC & NC

#23 Postby cycloneye » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:36 pm

News of some damage in Jacksonville.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -
A tornado warning for Duval, Clay, Nassau and Camden counties was allowed to expire, but much of Channel 4's viewing area remains under a tornado watch through 6 p.m.

At 1:25 p.m. meteorologists tracking a line of severe thunderstorms capable of producing damaging winds in excess of 60 mph issued tornado warnings. A Doppler radar-indicated tornado was being tracked from Jacksonville Heights, moving east at 55 mph.

By 1:45 p.m., the worst of the storm was moving off the coast, but News4Jax is receiving multiple reports of trees and wires down and power outages, from Sanderson to Middleburg to Jacksonville's Southside. Jacksonville Beach police report a roof blown off a small apartment building. Two tractor-trailers on the Dames Point Bridge appeared to have blown over, blocking two northbound lanes.

http://www.news4jax.com/weather/severe- ... n/29756748

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#24 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:43 pm

:uarrow: Yeah, cycloneye, I was about to post a few of these very images. Yeah there is some scattered wind dmage in the metro Jax area, and out at the Beaches areas. However, considering the overall scope of things, it could be a whole lot worse! As far as I know at the moment, there have been no fatalities or major injuries across the area, but I am still scanning the news for details. Yeah, I am not surprised about the the 18 wheeler shown on its side on the Dames Point Bridge, the highest in Jax at 179 ft high at its apex,during the event. I am sure winds gusted probably higher than the 58 mph gusts I received here at my locale, which is about 7 miles to the northwest of the bridge.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:03 pm

The tornado that touched down near the Correctional Prison in Blountstown earlier today was confirmed by the Tallahassee WFO as an EF2 officially.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”