Texas Fall-2015

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Re:

#2381 Postby Ntxw » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:55 am

gpsnowman wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:NWS FWD is saying the Metroplex could see an additional 3-7 inches of rain.

The old record from 1991 is going to get obliterated. And we still have an entire month to go. Goodness.

Quite a year of rain! El Nino's southern storm track in December (especially if its mild) is usually very wet we may come out with a 60"+ year! December is often the wettest winter month during +ENSO
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2382 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:58 am

Ntxw wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:NWS FWD is saying the Metroplex could see an additional 3-7 inches of rain.

The old record from 1991 is going to get obliterated. And we still have an entire month to go. Goodness.

Quite a year of rain! El Nino's southern storm track in December (especially if its mild) is usually very wet we may come out with a 60"+ year! December is often the wettest winter month during +ENSO

I'm hoping for 1 snow storm while I'm home in December though. :D
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Fall-2015

#2383 Postby Portastorm » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:59 am

Tragic news from north Texas.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2015/11/heavy-rains-lead-to-flooding-in-parts-of-dallas-fort-worth-area.html/?hootPostID=777f68aa85b3f13e96ba0512ade998f5

How many times do we need to shout "TURN AROUND DON'T DROWN." You don't mess with water flowing across or even on roadways. You just don't do that. You always will lose.

You Metroplexers please stay safe today.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#2384 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:05 pm

the front wont even make it down here, heck, we may not see any substantial rain at all. Hope you guys are having a great thanksgiving! Very thankful for you guys and the knowledge you provide!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2385 Postby gpsnowman » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:05 pm

You would think that with all the coverage and electronic warnings on the highways people would have better common sense than to test the power of flowing water. It amazes me.
Professor, I agree. At least one storm will pull enough cold air down for some pretty snowfall. Winter is just starting and I think our chances are very good for one or two snows.
0 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2386 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:18 pm

I have had just a few light showers this morning. It is 70 with the front within a couple miles.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#2387 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:28 pm

Sleet changed to snow in Topeka Kansas, snow wasn't forecasted at all.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#2388 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:32 pm

TheProfessor wrote:Sleet changed to snow in Topeka Kansas, snow wasn't forecasted at all.

This storm is def a bit cooler than forecast at the surface and above. It is making for quite the winter storm out west. I saw that some ice has already been reported around Midland.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

ndale
Category 1
Category 1

#2389 Postby ndale » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:38 pm

:uarrow:

I think you are right about the weather services under estimating the cold temps in the air mass and the speed, EWX just mentioned the front is about 2 hours ahead of what was expected.
Last edited by ndale on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Any opinions stated are those of an amateur, please take with several grains of salt and for official forecast refer to the National Weather Service.

TarrantWx
Category 1
Category 1

#2390 Postby TarrantWx » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:43 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:Sleet changed to snow in Topeka Kansas, snow wasn't forecasted at all.

This storm is def a bit cooler than forecast at the surface and above. It is making for quite the winter storm out west. I saw that some ice has already been reported around Midland.

FWIW, I just saw a report of sleet pellets mixing in with the rain in Denton on Twitter.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#2391 Postby Portastorm » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:52 pm

ndale wrote::uarrow:

I think you are right about the weather services under estimating the cold temps in the air mass and the speed, EWX just mentioned the front is about 2 hours ahead of what was expected.

The front is through the northwestern third of Williamson County already and encroaching upon the Austin metro area's western borders. We should feel it in the next hour or two. And yes it is a bit ahead of schedule although the temp drop appears to be 20-25 degrees. Not sure it is colder than progged down here but it definitely will feel a lot more "wintry" here by late afternoon.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

STX Expat
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#2392 Postby STX Expat » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:37 pm

TarrantWx wrote:
Ralph's Weather wrote:

FWIW, I just saw a report of sleet pellets mixing in with the rain in Denton on Twitter.

Sleet mixing in a bit here in Sherman as well.

Belated Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Time to get out of lurk mode and usher in some winter weather. 8-)
0 likes   
The opinions expressed in this post are NOT forecasts. I am an amatuer enthusiast - NOT a professional meteorologist.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2393 Postby gboudx » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Update from jeff:

Strong cold front slicing across TX this early afternoon.

Frontal boundary marked by a solid 20-25 degree temperature drop is located from east of Dallas to north of Austin and NW of Del Rio. Temperatures ahead of this boundary are in the humid mid to upper 70’s and fall quickly into the 40’s and 30’s behind the front. For example Hobby Airport is currently 79 versus 47 at Waco and 36 at Childress. As suspected the shallow yet dense air mass is forcing southward faster than the models were thinking and the front is running about 2-3 hours ahead of even the fastest guidance. Expect the front to reach our NW counties in the next few hours and then toward the US 59 corridor between midnight and 300am. Front will really begin to lose its forward push south of I-10, but like the TX TECH handling of the boundary which goes ahead and pushes it off the coast into the 0-20 miles range offshore before stalling. Expect cold air mass to overspread much of the region with temperatures running from the low 40’s near College Station to near 60 along the coast over the weekend. These may be a few degrees too warm especially near the coast, but there is uncertainty on exactly where the front stalls.

Moist southwest flow aloft ahead of a large slow moving upper level storm system over the SW US will continue both ahead and behind the front. Surface front will aid in adding a lifting boundary to help produce more scattered showers tonight through the weekend along with disturbances ejecting out of the circulation of Sandra nearing the west MX coast. 850mb front remains far inland over NW TX where best dynamics and best forcing will be found…and hence the heaviest rainfall totals. Rainfall amounts over our area will run 1-2 inches NW of US 59 to less than .50 of an inch from Galveston Bay to Liberty County. Drier conditions to the SE are a function of better ridging aloft out of the Gulf of Mexico and extremely shallow frontal slope in the region.

Really no change in this damp and cold pattern through at least the first half of next week as yet another system approaches from the west with a good feed of moisture aloft from the eastern Pacific. Thus the well entrench El Nino pattern continues across the SW US and southern plains.

Note: Heavy rainfall overnight pushed Dallas over the record for their wettest year ever! With still another month to go in 2015 this record will only increase.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2394 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:05 pm

Still ugh and miserable here in Houston....79 degrees..
0 likes   

ndale
Category 1
Category 1

#2395 Postby ndale » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:10 pm

Front arrived here about an hour ago and temp dropped from 73 to 52.
0 likes   
Any opinions stated are those of an amateur, please take with several grains of salt and for official forecast refer to the National Weather Service.

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#2396 Postby SouthernMet » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:12 pm

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN ANGELO TX
145 PM CST FRI NOV 27 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR WESTERN BIG COUNTRY THIS AFTERNOON
THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING...

.AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT HAS MOVE ACROSS THE BIG COUNTRY. THIS FRONT
WILL BRING MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES INTO THE AREA. THIS ARCTIC
AIR MASS WILL COMBINE WITH ABUNDANT MOISTURE AND PASSING UPPER
LEVEL DISTURBANCES RESULTING IN PERIODS OF PRECIPITATION. SOME OF
THIS PRECIPITATION MAY FALL IN THE FORM OF FREEZING RAIN OR SLEET
OR A MIXTURE OF THE TWO...RESULTING IN HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS IN
THE ADVISORY AREA.

TXZ064-065-099-114-127-128-280345-
/O.EXA.KSJT.WW.Y.0010.000000T0000Z-151128T1800Z/
STERLING-COKE-THROCKMORTON-SHACKELFORD-TAYLOR-CALLAHAN-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STERLING CITY...ROBERT LEE...BRONTE...
THROCKMORTON...WOODSON...ALBANY...ABILENE...CLYDE...BAIRD...
CROSS PLAINS
145 PM CST FRI NOV 27 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN ANGELO HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL
NOON CST SATURDAY.

* TIMING...RAIN IS EXPECTED TO MIX WITH OR CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN
THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. TEMPERATURES WILL REMAIN NEAR OR
JUST BELOW FREEZING FROM THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY
MORNING...AS PERIODS OF THIS MIXTURE FALL OVER THE AREA.

* MAIN IMPACT...LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS OF ICE MAY OCCUR ON
BRIDGES...OVERPASSES...POWER LINES...AND OTHER EXPOSED SURFACES.
THIS COULD RESULT IN HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

* OTHER IMPACTS...GUSTY NORTH WINDS WILL MAKE CONDITIONS FEEL
MUCH COLDER...WITH WIND CHILL READINGS IN THE LOWER 20S.
VISIBILITIES MAY ALSO BE LIMITED IN HEAVIER PERIODS OF
PRECIPITATION. AREA RESIDENTS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY
ROADS.
0 likes   
Nothing that SouthernMet posts, is an official forecast,nor does it reflect views of STORM2K.. SouthernMet is just adding to the great discussions on STORM2K.. Refer to NWS for official forecasts.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re:

#2397 Postby wxman57 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Tireman4 wrote:Still ugh and miserable here in Houston....79 degrees..

Perfect weather for some yard work today. Still waiting for an extended cool-down to have my AC unit replaced. Might come by February... ;-)
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#2398 Postby Portastorm » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Still seeing roughly a 20-25 temperature drop within several hours behind the front. Here at the Portastorm Weather Center in today-not-so-scenic southwest Travis County we had 76 degrees at 1:30 p.m. Two hours later we're at 52 degrees and dropping.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2399 Postby Tireman4 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:12 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Tireman4 wrote:Still ugh and miserable here in Houston....79 degrees..

Perfect weather for some yard work today. Still waiting for an extended cool-down to have my AC unit replaced. Might come by February... ;-)

Sigh
0 likes   

SouthernMet
Category 3
Category 3

#2400 Postby SouthernMet » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:18 pm

NWS expands Ice Storm Warning into OKC Metro, Norman, Chickashaw & Lawton.
San Angelo also talking about a possible upgrade to Ice Storm Warning.
0 likes   
Nothing that SouthernMet posts, is an official forecast,nor does it reflect views of STORM2K.. SouthernMet is just adding to the great discussions on STORM2K.. Refer to NWS for official forecasts.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”