Texas Summer-2015

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#561 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:29 pm

:uarrow: Another excerpt from Columbus Ohio during the 78 blizzard

"Rain turned to ice and snow as the temperature plunged 21 degrees — from 34 to 13 — between 5 and 6 a.m. Temperatures hovered around zero but the wind chill made it feel like 60 below." :cold:

have we ever seen a 21 degree drop in 1 hour in Texas?
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#562 Postby Ntxw » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:50 pm

TheProfessor wrote::uarrow: Another excerpt from Columbus Ohio during the 78 blizzard

"Rain turned to ice and snow as the temperature plunged 21 degrees — from 34 to 13 — between 5 and 6 a.m. Temperatures hovered around zero but the wind chill made it feel like 60 below." :cold:

have we ever seen a 21 degree drop in 1 hour in Texas?

Yes, and it happens more than you think. The Great Plains, especially Oklahoma and Texas can see very wild temperature swings. This area of the country is most proned to it.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ama/?n=50ranges

"The most extreme temperature range recorded at Amarillo within one calendar day occurred from a Blue Norther' in December 1919. At noon on Friday, December 12, the temperature was 67 degrees. By 1 PM the temperature had dropped an astounding 44 degrees to a reading of 23 degrees. By 7 PM that evening the temperature had bottomed out at 1 degree above zero, a full 66 degrees lower than the high temperature 7 hours earlier."
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#563 Postby TheProfessor » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:18 pm

:uarrow: Yeah I knew that 50+ degrees drops have happened quite often, I just never realized how much some have dropped in only an hour and is quite amazing actually and probably has unfortunately killed unsuspecting people too, imagine someone going on a 5 or 10 mile walk in Nebraska at 50 degrees with a light jacket and as you approach the 10 mile mark the temperature drops 30 degrees in an hour and now you 10 miles away from home in a light jacket with the temperature at 20 degrees and falling with precip perhaps. That's a tough walk home.
0 likes   

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#564 Postby Ntxw » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:33 am

Speaking of dry spells, 15 years ago in 2000 today began the apex heat streak of that very hot summer (and driest stretch of no rain on record). DFW on the 28th was 106F followed by 108F and hovered there. Then the Calendar turned to September and began more records 109F each until labor day happened...111F. The hottest temperature of the past 30 years eclipse only by 1980's 113F. Not the longevity of 2011 but 2000 had a big punch.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Summer-2015

#565 Postby aggiecutter » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:18 am

The summer of 2015 equaled the summer of 2011, not even in the same universe. With the exception of West Texas, the temperatures for most of the state were just about normal:

0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#566 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:36 am

Ntxw wrote:Speaking of dry spells, 15 years ago in 2000 today began the apex heat streak of that very hot summer (and driest stretch of no rain on record). DFW on the 28th was 106F followed by 108F and hovered there. Then the Calendar turned to September and began more records 109F each until labor day happened...111F. The hottest temperature of the past 30 years eclipse only by 1980's 113F. Not the longevity of 2011 but 2000 had a big punch.

I remember that year. 114F here in SL i believe, 109 at IAH.

For Our new Buckeye, is it the case where they are predicting a warm season but that doesnt necessarily mean a dry one. I may draw my own little map of what i think this winter will look like. It seems like it will be a combo of last year and a super nino. Now for California, this is a conflicting forecast from major drought to possible wettest on record. :| My aunt lives in the valley of California so i often try and prep her ahead of the season or storms since she has a large ranch there.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#567 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Yeah, I was in San Antonio then. I proposed to my then girlfriend (now wife) on the River Walk. It was a record 112 (I think) that day in September. Not the best of weather days to propose. :wink: Ah well.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#568 Postby JDawg512 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:08 pm

I remember it as well. That day we were heading to Shreveport to visit my sister and it was just hideous.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#569 Postby vbhoutex » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:47 pm

aggiecutter wrote:The summer of 2015 equaled the summer of 2011, not even in the same universe. With the exception of West Texas, the temperatures for most of the state were just about normal:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj79/Photo44_album/Untitled_zpsywelsjfh.png

You missed the little orange color in SE TX. Late July and and the first 2/3rd of August were well above normal for us with a long string, at my house(weatherbug site closest) of 100+ temps. No it did not = 2011 overall, but we had our longest run of highs above 95f in Houston and I think it was 34 days at or above 100 at that site.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#570 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:59 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
aggiecutter wrote:The summer of 2015 equaled the summer of 2011, not even in the same universe. With the exception of West Texas, the temperatures for most of the state were just about normal:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj79/Photo44_album/Untitled_zpsywelsjfh.png

You missed the little orange color in SE TX. Late July and and the first 2/3rd of August were well above normal for us with a long string, at my house(weatherbug site closest) of 100+ temps. No it did not = 2011 overall, but we had our longest run of highs above 95f in Houston and I think it was 34 days at or above 100 at that site.

2011 went back to La Nina. Right we are in El Nino.
0 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#571 Postby TheProfessor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:07 pm

You guy's might like Ryan Maue's latest tweet. "Track of next Tropical Storm Kevin (14E) toward Baja -- some monsoonal moisture may be fed into SW US over next week."

upload a picture
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#572 Postby Rgv20 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:52 pm

12zECMWF shows lowering pressures and a decent 850mb Vorticity in the BOC early next week along with 2+inches of Total Precipitaple Water....Lets see if future runs hang on to the idea.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#573 Postby Brent » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:23 pm

NBC 5 just reported this was the 18th warmest summer. in DFW.. kind of surprised.
0 likes   
#neversummer

BrokenGlassRepublicn
Category 1
Category 1

Re:

#574 Postby BrokenGlassRepublicn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:30 pm

Rgv20 wrote:12zECMWF shows lowering pressures and a decent 850mb Vorticity in the BOC early next week along with 2+inches of Total Precipitaple Water....Lets see if future runs hang on to the idea.

Fingers crossed. I am so ready for this pattern to change.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#575 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:39 pm

It's summer. We have to expect the possibility of a drought. Things will start changing soon.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#576 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:24 pm

Reminder:

Just as a reminder today is the last day we post in this thread for flowing discussion. Meteorological Fall begins tomorrow and we will be shifting discussions over into that thread for SON. This thread will be kept open to anyone wants to discuss re-analysis for the summer. :D I'm sure many will feel happy to proceed with the seasonal transiton

Thanks
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#577 Postby gboudx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:46 pm

Will the temps adhere to this transition as well? :ggreen:
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re:

#578 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:00 pm

gboudx wrote:Will the temps adhere to this transition as well? :ggreen:

Sadly it won't :onfire: sigh...
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#579 Postby Ntxw » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:10 pm

Final tally for summer at DFW, courtesy NWS Fort Worth. Overnight temperatures continue to be the leading way for warmer summer averages for a similar climate in the past. As urban development continues this likely won't change much. However this year, dew-points and humidity added to that.

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#580 Postby dhweather » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32 am

Remarkable turnaround in a couple of months - go from widespread heavy rains to D2 severe drought for a chunk of the metroplex.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”