First or last frost?

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

First or last frost?

#1 Postby Scott Patterson » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:16 am

It looks like we either might have our first or last frost of the season tonight. Since it is late July, I don't know if it would be considered an early or late frost.

Anyway, downtown is forecasted to be 35, but we're usually a bit colder at night on the outskirts, so I'm expecting frost:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... beAkflVhBc
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#2 Postby psyclone » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:50 am

I'm not as impressed with the low as I am the 50 degree swing between the high and low. Holy smokes! the combo of dry air and a high sun angle generates quite the workout for the thermometer.
0 likes   

Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

Re: First or last frost?

#3 Postby Scott Patterson » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:34 am

31 F this morning, so it did freeze. The official 6 AM temp downtown was 35F, so it got at least that cold there.

I'm not as impressed with the low as I am the 50 degree swing between the high and low.

50F degree swings between day and night are very common here. 60F swings aren't that uncommon, and happen occasionally. Even our average July high is 88F and the average low is 46F, a 42 degree difference. Right now, they bumped up the forecast high to 87F, so it will be a 56 degree swing.

I copied this from a previous post on a random summer day (Wunderground) to show how quickly the temperature rises when the sun comes up (notice the low humidity as well). When it's clear outside, six hours is enough time to bring the temperature from the 30's to the 90's:

The biggest daily swing I've seen here is 72 degrees (8F to 80F) on one sunny October day.

We have big winter to summer swings too. Here temps have ranged from -56F to 100F, but the town just west of us (Maybell) has recorded temperatures of -61F and 102F. In the hills, there aren't as big of temperature swings. The weather station Craig 4SW is only a few miles from town, but temperatures there have only varied between -41F and 99F, and the day and night swings are a few degrees less since the station sits on a hill.
0 likes   

Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby Scott Patterson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:46 pm

31F again this morning, but the official high was 91F. Freezing to 90's.
0 likes   

Scott Patterson
Category 2
Category 2

#5 Postby Scott Patterson » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:36 pm

After many times of getting really close at the official weather station (we've actually had several frost at the house), the first official frost of the season downtown was this morning. It was 30F down town and 28F at the house. The official high was 83F, so the days are still warm.

It looks like another frost tonight and close to freezing all week, but the days are supposed to be in the 80's:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... fEIqdJViko
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”