Texas Spring 2016

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Spring 2016

#1381 Postby Ntxw » Wed May 25, 2016 3:52 pm

When winter was summer, and now summer is the new winter?

0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1382 Postby Brent » Wed May 25, 2016 5:49 pm

:uarrow:

We deserve it after that sorry excuse of a winter

May is gonna be like the first below normal month since early last summer I think...
0 likes   
#neversummer

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1383 Postby TheProfessor » Wed May 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Ntxw wrote:When winter was summer, and now summer is the new winter?

[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/14ilfr5.gif

[img]http://i65.tinypic.com/1gkk91.gif

[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/2zyl6xg.gif

Looks a lot like late may early June of 2007
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1384 Postby gboudx » Thu May 26, 2016 8:49 am

Update from jeff:

Heavy rainfall and severe weather possible over the next 48 hours.

A strong storm system currently over S AZ will swing E then ENE across the southern plains over the next 48 hours providing lift across a moisture and unstable air mass over TX. Low level southeasterly flow over the last 3 days has brought an extremely moist western Caribbean air mass into the region with surface dewpoints of 72-77 over the region and PWS of 1.8-2.0 inches. Lead short wave is starting to eject across TX currently with lift increasing along the I-35 corridor where local radars show the formation of showers and thunderstorms. Capping is still evident over SE TX and will require mid 80 degree temperatures to break…which should be attainable once the low cloud deck burns off.

Not sure really any of the short range high resolution models have a good handle on the convective development today. TX TECH WRF is way overdone so think it may be too aggressive, but the HRRR does not look all that better. Both models show significantly more development this morning than what is taking place…possibly due to the capping in place. Will favor the western and NW counties for the greatest storm chances starting later this morning and peaking this afternoon/evening. Overall meso pattern is one of favorable forced low level boundaries within a highly moist and unstable air mass supporting strong to severe thunderstorms and very heavy rainfall.

One concern is the potential for any sustained outflow boundary to become perpendicular to the decent 20kts of low level inflow this afternoon and evening which would greatly raise the flash flood threat and the severe threat. Think the best chances of this happening would be from Columbus to Huntsville, but these types of setups almost always like to attempt to drift SE into the low level Gulf feed.

Friday looks like an even better setup for severe thunderstorms and heavy rainfall, but will greatly depend on just much development and where this development occurs today. Main trough axis approaches which will help to erode the capping over the area and the upper level winds become strongly divergent supporting sustained lift. Do think it is going to take much to get storms going. Latest meso models…if they are to be believed…show both an early morning round of storms followed by a second round of slower moving storms dropping SE from NC TX during the late afternoon and evening hours. Low confidence that this is going to work out this way with the potential for any morning storm complex to stabilize the air mass.

Memorial Day Weekend:
Unlike 2015 which brought devastating flooding to TX, 2016 should be more tranquil with weak ridging attempting to develop aloft. Could still see some activity on Saturday before moisture levels drop. SW US mean upper trough position reloads by late Sunday into Monday and the next slow moving strong upper level storm system begins to head for TX early to mid next week in a pattern that has been locked in place now for the last 6 weeks.

ATL: 91L

Surface low pressure has developed over the SW ATL north of the Caribbean Sea on the tail end of an old frontal trough. 25-30kts of SW wind shear have resulted in little to no thunderstorm formation around this surface low, but conditions are expected to become increasingly favorable for development as the system drifts toward the WNW and NW this weekend allowing deep convection to build closer or over the low level center.

The National Hurricane Center currently gives the system a 70% of tropical cyclone formation over the next 5 days. Interest along the SE US coast from NC to FL should closely monitor the progress over this system. A USAF hurricane hunter mission is currently scheduled for early Friday to determine if a tropical depression or tropical storm is forming.

NOTE: effective with the 2016 hurricane season, storm surge inundation graphics will be provided by NHC with each advisory package when a tropical system is within 48 of landfall. These maps will show the reasonable worst case storm surge above ground level based on the expected forecast track of the tropical system. These maps should be available roughly 1 hour after the official advisory package is released from NHC.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1385 Postby Brent » Thu May 26, 2016 10:35 am

It's a lovely rainy morning a few days before Memorial Day. Shades of last year, only not as prolific.

:rain:

But this humidity is like something from Miami. It's yucky.
0 likes   
#neversummer

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#1386 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu May 26, 2016 4:50 pm

The rain totals south of Bryan could total into some astronomical numbers. Hopefully this boundary starts to move soon.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#1387 Postby jasons2k » Thu May 26, 2016 6:24 pm

Keep a close watch around Houston. Lots of flooding being reported and this MCS is just starting to creep into the metro Houston metro area. Also, a tornado touched down in Bryan earlier this afternoon.

From Jeff Lindner:

4.60 inches in 1-hr at Lake Conroe Dam.

Excessive rainfall moving into Harris County as slow moving line of intense thunderstorms sags southward. Hourly rainfall rates of 3-5 inches per hour are likely with rapid onset flash flooding. 2-hr totals over 6.0 inches over SW/W Montgomery County and 3-hr totals nearing 10-12 inches over Washington and N Waller Counties.

Expect this line to progress into Harris County with similar rainfall rates and rapid onset flash flooding.
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1388 Postby Tireman4 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:56 pm

Heavy rain in Humble. That red blob is coming straight for me. Great. Sigh.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1389 Postby Brent » Thu May 26, 2016 7:28 pm

The GFS has widespread rain to open June and lows in the 50s at DFW... summer is delayed. :lol:
0 likes   
#neversummer

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1390 Postby gboudx » Thu May 26, 2016 9:08 pm

Looking bad in Houston area. From jeff:

***Dangerous flash flood event ongoing over SE TX***

10-14 inches of rain has fallen this afternoon over Washington County with 6-8 inches over N Waller and southern Montgomery Counties.

Damaging flash flooding is in progress over the area with numerous roadways impacted and some homes flooding in N Waller and S Montgomery Counties.

Large MCS responsible for this is slowly sagging S while training W to E along and N of I-10. Line has become increasing fragmented in the last few hours, but cells along this line remain strong and capable of intense hourly rainfall rates of 2-4 inches. 1-hr rainfall rate of 4.6 inches was recorded in Conroe earlier this evening.

Significant flash flooding is in progress in many locations and travel should be avoided. Do NOT drive into high water.

Hydro:
Working several developing situations…especially the Brazos where rain “bomb” near Brenham will send a major flood wave down this system. Early forecast looks like Memorial Day 15 levels for Waller, Fort Bend, and Brazoria Counties, but we are not done and may need to push more water into the system.

Worried about the West Fork at Humble also with 6-8 inches over the headwaters of this basin.

Tremendous flow is going into Spring Creek and rises to overbanks is likely upstream of SH 249.

Will this MCS rob low level moisture from NCTX for the storms moving in from the west?
0 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1391 Postby gpsnowman » Thu May 26, 2016 9:13 pm

:uarrow: Man I hope not. Seems like all the rain has fallen elsewhere lately. I shouldn't complain, some rain has fallen the last few days. Nothing major though. The blob of beautiful rain west of here might make it.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1392 Postby Brent » Thu May 26, 2016 10:01 pm

I hope not... we've already been cut off a few times. The hi-res models are still showing widespread rain overnight and into the morning. A 2nd line towards daybreak.
0 likes   
#neversummer

TexasF6
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1393 Postby TexasF6 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:12 am

IT'S HAPPENING IN AUSTIN TEXAS. THE FLOODING IS HAPPENING NOW. STAY SAFE FOLKS! PLEASE AVOID 290E, 71&183.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#1394 Postby 1900hurricane » Fri May 27, 2016 12:40 am

Looks like another absolute crush job flood event, this time centered on Washington County.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#1395 Postby JDawg512 » Fri May 27, 2016 3:11 am

Over 10 inches of rain fell at Pleasant Valley at William Cannon in southeast Austin. Austin-Bergstrom International Airport recorded over 8 inches before midnight making it a new daily record.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1396 Postby srainhoutx » Fri May 27, 2016 3:26 am

Some areas across SE Texas may exceed 20 inches of rainfall in the past 16 hours. A Flash Flood Emergency is underway from NW Harris County to near the Bryan/College Station Areas. A Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been hoisted until 10:00 AM.
0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1397 Postby gboudx » Fri May 27, 2016 8:53 am

Rain over metroplex, extending to the southwest appears stalled with training echoes. Areas to the southwest look to see some hefty rain totals if this keeps up.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1398 Postby Ntxw » Fri May 27, 2016 9:05 am

Some spectacular rainfall totals over night in central TX. Looking at guidance the pattern change out west will change to warmer yet with the reversal Texas still has a 500mb weakness parked. 2007 is a very strong analog. In fact probably the top analog.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1399 Postby gboudx » Fri May 27, 2016 9:16 am

I had to go check the summer 2007 history since I barely remember last week's weather. :) I counted 5 100+ days, which all occurred in August over a consecutive day period. I'll take that.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1400 Postby Ntxw » Fri May 27, 2016 9:39 am

I'd take that too! Or 1906/1973 :D . I know Larry Cosgrove is thinking hot summer but his analogs are too straightforward La Nina climo. You have to consider the 500mb weakness shown in the maps I posted in the summer thread. Over the past 90 days evidence is getting more clear of that weakness vs a 1998 or 2010 which were hot, dry Nina changes. More in li e with the 1973/2007 group
0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”