Texas Summer 2016

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Summer 2016

#601 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:41 pm

We got a decent heavy shower around 7pm which lasted around a minute or two. Part of a west southwest scattered moving line in parts of the area. Got 0 07 out of it. But yeah, I expected more too.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#602 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:19 am

Ehh, its hard to get too enthused with a low pressure system on the Atlantic side. Unless you sit near the coast or in direct path, of late. I'd like the set up more if there was an EPAC disturbance off the west coast of MX to help. Those tend to live up to the rain chances and totals better.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#603 Postby South Texas Storms » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:18 pm

It has rained almost every day in the Houston area over the last 2 weeks. This summer really hasn't been that bad. I'm thankful! :D
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#604 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:45 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:It has rained almost every day in the Houston area over the last 2 weeks. This summer really hasn't been that bad. I'm thankful! :D

I wish it was the same for central areas of the state. Having said that, we got a good dousing of rain this month and thankfully ended the streak of 100 degree days to which I'm sure would be currently ongoing had we not received the wide spread amounts we got. When was the last time Lake Travis was 100% full in August? I wanna say 2007... I'd like a little more regular consistency of rain but I'm not complaining about how this month turned out by any means. Currently 86 degrees at my house at 3:40 p.m.

Looking ahead to September, at first glance it looks like the first half of the month will be dry. Hopefully it won't be the case but I'm a little suprised at how strong the models are forecasting the ridge of high pressure. We may not see anymore 100s for the rest of the year but upper 90s are looking more likely.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#605 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:03 pm

JDawg512 wrote:I wish it was the same for central areas of the state. Having said that, we got a good dousing of rain this month and thankfully ended the streak of 100 degree days to which I'm sure would be currently ongoing had we not received the wide spread amounts we got. When was the last time Lake Travis was 100% full in August? I wanna say 2007... I'd like a little more regular consistency of rain but I'm not complaining about how this month turned out by any means. Currently 86 degrees at my house at 3:40 p.m.

Looking ahead to September, at first glance it looks like the first half of the month will be dry. Hopefully it won't be the case but I'm a little suprised at how strong the models are forecasting the ridge of high pressure. We may not see anymore 100s for the rest of the year but upper 90s are looking more likely.

There is hope that the recurving typhoon (Lionrock) will alter the north Pacific. ECMWF has flipped flopped on ridge vs trough run to run. I am not trusting of the models right now. For instance today it has a digging western trough and EPAC system which would be a deluge.

GFS has a big hurricane around the same time frame off of Mex

With the EPAC once again experiencing a much above normal year, I would expect a flooding episode sometime in Sept or Oct.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#606 Postby JDawg512 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:01 pm

Ntxw wrote:
JDawg512 wrote:I wish it was the same for central areas of the state. Having said that, we got a good dousing of rain this month and thankfully ended the streak of 100 degree days to which I'm sure would be currently ongoing had we not received the wide spread amounts we got. When was the last time Lake Travis was 100% full in August? I wanna say 2007... I'd like a little more regular consistency of rain but I'm not complaining about how this month turned out by any means. Currently 86 degrees at my house at 3:40 p.m.

There is hope that the recurving typhoon (Lionrock) will alter the north Pacific. ECMWF has flipped flopped on ridge vs trough run to run. I am not trusting of the models right now. For instance today it has a digging western trough and EPAC system which would be a deluge.

GFS has a big hurricane around the same time frame off of Mex

With the EPAC once again experiencing a much above normal year, I would expect a flooding episode sometime in Sept or Oct.

I agree with your assessment for a flood event especially as it has been pretty consistent with the last few years almost like clockwork down to the day. October is basically the May of Autumn.

I looked at Bob Rose's forecast blog a little after posting and he's more optimistic about at least slight chances of rain on and off over the next 2 weeks. He mentions a frontal boundary coming through Friday/Sat and another the week after Labor Day and temps holding around average.
1 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#607 Postby gpsnowman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:57 pm

August has been great this year.(Well, since the 12th) The current stagnant pattern we are in is not so bad. Temps have been below normal with periodic rain chances and the next several days will offer the same. Could be a lot worse considering we are still in summer for another month. The humidity though is a different story, it sucks. Hopefully the long range models will start showing the first true fall front soon. Just thinking of the dry air with temps in the 60's for lows sounds great. Give it a couple weeks and we should be in business.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#608 Postby Portastorm » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:38 pm

The upper low off the Texas coast has yielded some nice rains today in the Austin metro area. Picked up close to 3/4" today. No griping.
2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#609 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:42 pm

:rain: :rain: Had a nice rain this evening. Moderate to heavy. Absolutely no thunder. 0.34 in the gauge, and 79 degrees at 7:40 pm. :D
1 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#610 Postby JDawg512 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:27 pm

The summer thread is usually short but I expected it to be more than 31 pages considering it has been pretty eventful compared to last summer except for June and July.

Got a half inch yesterday so pretty satisfied. Looking forward to Autumn.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#611 Postby aggiecutter » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:27 pm

Mid 60's for lows and mid 80's for highs are in the forecast for Texarkana on Friday and Saturday.
0 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#612 Postby aggiecutter » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:58 pm

User Actions
Following

Jim CantoreVerified account
‏@JimCantore Jim Cantore Retweeted Aaron Perry
Currently longest period on RECORD without a hurricane in the GOM (period of record 130 years).
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#613 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:03 pm

Got another heavy shower at 6:15 to 6:30 this evening. Another 0.15 in the gauge.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#614 Postby Ntxw » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:20 am

Last day for this thread before we move onto the fall thread tomorrow.

Watch this area of disturbance south of Mexico the NHC has marked an x. It will likely develop and could be a hurricane riding up the west coast of Mexico. Potentially has indirect (maybe even direct) effects on us rain wise.

0 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#615 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:08 pm

there are some 60s forecast in the northern metro this weekend...

it's progress...

can't believe we're going to the fall thread already. It's all downhill from here on whatever resembles summer...
0 likes   
#neversummer

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#616 Postby jasons2k » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:51 pm

Goodbye summer. Aside from the flash drought of July-early August, it was not that bad for Southeast Texas. Since the trees kept their leaves this summer - a major feat these days it seems - I'm hoping for some pretty fall colors this year.
1 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#617 Postby gboudx » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:01 pm

My grass was green all summer too. It was starting to succumb in early August but has since perked up.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#618 Postby Brent » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:01 am

Goodbye summer. My 2nd one in Texas... honestly other than that couple of weeks at the end of July/early August, didn't seem that bad. Most of the last 3 weeks since I almost never could have envisioned actually happening with all the clouds and rain.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#619 Postby Tireman4 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:45 am

Good bye Summer. Hello Fall !
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#620 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:40 am

Bye bye meteorological Summer! Time for Fall talk. :wink:
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”