Texas Summer 2016

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Summer 2016

#561 Postby weatherdude1108 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:59 am

2.91 inches at the casa from midnight to 7:45 am this morning.

8.44 inches since last Saturday August 13th.

It is pudding in areas of my yard that don't usually puddle.

As much as I don't like to admit it, and as much I love the rain, we could use just a LITTLE break from it. :wink:
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#562 Postby Portastorm » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:20 am

TheProfessor wrote:Hello everyone, I just moved into my dorm today. I will be starting my first met class in a few days so I'm super excited. :D I finally tried The Blue Danube that Porta told me about a year ago and it was really good, It was only the 2nd Diner I've been to but it's the best one so far.

Happy to hear that you're getting settled in up there and that you tried the Blue Danube. Hey buddy,, I'm not going to lead you wrong! Good luck on the met classes and study hard ... you'll be a blue tag here before you know it and you'll be educating the rest of us. :D
1 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#563 Postby South Texas Storms » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:50 am

The weather around here this August has been one of the best in many years. Normally it's hot and dry with lots of 100 degree days. This past week has been one of the wettest stretches in the month of August in quite some time. I'm very thankful for it and enjoying the August rains! :D
1 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#564 Postby Ntxw » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:14 am

South Texas Storms wrote:The weather around here this August has been one of the best in many years. Normally it's hot and dry with lots of 100 degree days. This past week has been one of the wettest stretches in the month of August in quite some time. I'm very thankful for it and enjoying the August rains! :D

Amen to that! I was looking back at some DFW F-6 data and I can't find an August with more than just 1-3 days of sub-90 degree days the past 10 years. To have a stretch of that many days is a miracle, only 2004 comes close. Then I saw August of 2011 and 2006....
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#565 Postby gpsnowman » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:50 pm

A very pleasant late August afternoon across DFW today. The drier air is noticeably making a difference especially with the bright sunshine. What a wonderful stretch of weather we have had the last week. On to autumn.
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#566 Postby JDawg512 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:42 pm

Both of the large cities lucked out as the rainbomb hit further south.

The total for August rainfall so far at my house in south Austin is now 10.73 inches. I'm sure I'm not the only one that took a sigh of relief waking up this morning and finding that Austin was not dealing with widespread flooding.

Other than a chance for scattered pop up showers or storms tomorrow, will be nice to have a few dry days before rain returns at the end of the week.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#567 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:38 am

:uarrow:
It was nice in my case, in that it rained slowly enough that we didn't have any garage flooding issues. The French drain by garage kept up.

90% of rain that fell soaked in. That should help to maintain/replenish the subsoil moisture, and should keep it green for a while.
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#568 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:04 pm

So, here is the question...is Summer almost over?
0 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#569 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:30 pm

Just had a passing heavy shower over work after sun being out a while. Lasted about 5 minutes, then sun came out again. I feel like we live in the rainforest! :ggreen:
:sun: :rain: :sun: :rain:

FXUS64 KEWX 221957
AFDEWX

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Austin/San Antonio TX
257 PM CDT MON AUG 22 2016

.SHORT TERM (Tonight through Tuesday Night)...
Isolated to widely scattered showers and thunderstorms continued
across South Central Texas this afternoon as a moist airmass
lingers over our area.
Expect this activity to dissipate rapidly
around sunset with loss of solar heating. The Subtropical Ridge
axis builds into Texas bringing a drier and subsident airmass.
We will not have any POPs. However, cannot rule out an isolated
shower or thunderstorm along the seabreeze near the Coastal Plains
Tuesday afternoon as a couple of Hi-Res models indicate. Below
normal high temperatures are expected due to saturated soils.

&&

.LONG TERM (Wednesday through Monday)...
The Subtropical Ridge axis remains over South Central Texas mid
week. The drier and subsident airmass will keep POPS out of the
forecast on Wednesday. The Ridge shifts back to the northeast
late week into the weekend. This allows deeper moisture to move
back into South Central Texas.
Isolated showers and thunderstorms
are possible on Thursday and then become a little more numerous
and widespread Friday through Sunday.
An inverted mid level trough
moves west across the Texas coastal waters and possibly into Texas
late in the weekend or early next week. This may enhance rainfall.

Too early to tell, though, as this is a recent model development.
High temperatures remain below normal due to saturated soils.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#570 Postby Brent » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:04 pm

just drove home from work in rain... August still working its magic... :lol: :rain:
0 likes   
#neversummer

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#571 Postby JDawg512 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:11 pm

Having a nice break from the rain, and I only say nice because it's expected to return this weekend as opposed to what we usually get in August or else I wouldn't consider it a nice break. The mid month outlook was spot on when they showed an fairly unsettled pattern going into September.

I'd like to see consistent intervals of rain and dry weather through the month of September. Of course what I'd like to see rarely ever pans out lol.

Looking at what's going on with the Pacific and the La Niña or "La Nada" , something I've heard coined recently, I'm wondering if this Autumn and Winter will be closer to an ENSO Neutral type pattern rather than a weak central based Niña pattern. What are others thoughts on the subject?
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#572 Postby aggiecutter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:04 pm

EURO says keep an eye on GOM for major hurricane early next week:

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#573 Postby Ntxw » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:24 pm

99L is a menacing factor. The euro solution would be major headline news for the northern gulf and for Louisiana residents this is the last thing they want to see.

As for us, a major gulf system would likely shut off our rain chances as it will pool moisture and put all of us into subsidence. And actually it would actually promote some heat to return, as that is what tropical cyclones do, they transport heat into the mid latitudes.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#574 Postby gboudx » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:58 pm

I'll take the "vs. nothing" part of that Ryan Maue tweet please.
0 likes   

ngturner1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#575 Postby ngturner1 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:44 pm

If any of you folks want to see recently collected aerial imagery of the flooding our neighbors in Louisiana are experiencing and want to lend a hand in analyzing the extent of the damage, stop by http://tmappsevents.esri.com/website/Lo ... index.html. Each photo has a 5 question survey that pertains to the image (Is there damage, Extent of damage, Types of buildings effected, Road condition) and is easy to breeze through.
1 likes   

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#576 Postby Ralph's Weather » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:31 pm

ngturner1 wrote:If any of you folks want to see recently collected aerial imagery of the flooding our neighbors in Louisiana are experiencing and want to lend a hand in analyzing the extent of the damage, stop by http://tmappsevents.esri.com/website/Lo ... index.html. Each photo has a 5 question survey that pertains to the image (Is there damage, Extent of damage, Types of buildings effected, Road condition) and is easy to breeze through.

That is a pretty cool tool that I imagine will prove very useful for a rough processing of a mass of data.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#577 Postby JDawg512 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:13 pm

Ntxw wrote:99L is a menacing factor. The euro solution would be major headline news for the northern gulf and for Louisiana residents this is the last thing they want to see.

As for us, a major gulf system would likely shut off our rain chances as it will pool moisture and put all of us into subsidence. And actually it would actually promote some heat to return, as that is what tropical cyclones do, they transport heat into the mid latitudes.

Yea I really hope it doesn't happen for both Louisiana's sake and our own. I'd like to keep rain chances in the forecast as well as the average temps.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#578 Postby Brent » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:06 am

How far west can it go???

0 likes   
#neversummer

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#579 Postby TheProfessor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:08 am

Brent wrote:How far west can it go???

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis ... scus_9.png

If the High doesn't get broken down the storm will keep chugging w-wnw. However a storm that strong should be able move more poleward against the high, which could end up being a bad thing for Louisiana.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#580 Postby South Texas Storms » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:09 am

:uarrow:

It could certainly come to Texas. The model trends are west right now (except the GFS, which is once again clueless).
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”