Carolinas Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

Carolinas Weather

#1 Postby FireRat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi everyone, I figured this might be a great time to start a thread dedicated to the weather of South and North Carolina, especially now as we watch Hurricane Florence very closely! I'm in the central NC triangle region and looks like we're going to get tons of rain and wind from Florence if the current forecasts are correct. Those of you in the eastern Carolinas should be prepping now, this could be a big one!

Strange to see this coming and we just had the first cool weather day in a long time, the day was overcast and it's only 69 degrees at the moment in Chapel Hill. Going to be an extremely interesting weather week around these parts folks.
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

OiOya
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: Carolinas Weather

#2 Postby OiOya » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:17 am

If nothing else, this storm may balance out the droughts we've had.
0 likes   
I am not a met. My interest and experiences come from the perspective of a hobby geologist, fisherwoman, and forager.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby FireRat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:40 am

For real, we might witness one of the hugest rain events in the country's history, right up there with Harvey! Some models over in the hurricane threads for Florence call for 40+ inches of rain across many parts of the state, just unreal. After such a dry 2016 and 2017, we did have a drought especially Fall '16. This year's been quite wet and now might be the wettest ever if the Florence forecast pans out.
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby FireRat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Can you guys believe it, major hurricane now predicted to come ashore or near the NC coast and then parallel BOTH North and South Carolina coastlines as it moves southwest, so basically in reverse to the norm?!! This is madness! :double:
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:58 pm

This warm pattern is getting old. I'm ready for some cooler weather once Florence is out of the picture!
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

OiOya
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#6 Postby OiOya » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:37 pm

FireRat wrote:Can you guys believe it, major hurricane now predicted to come ashore or near the NC coast and then parallel BOTH North and South Carolina coastlines as it moves southwest, so basically in reverse to the norm?!! This is madness! :double:

I remember the prediction calling for that before, then smacking right into the entirety of the OBX. Now it's back to Wilmington/Myrtle Beach area, then it'll hang around my neck of the woods. I guess Florence wants to grab an honorary degree from FMU when she passes through. Bleh. :cry:
0 likes   
I am not a met. My interest and experiences come from the perspective of a hobby geologist, fisherwoman, and forager.

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby FireRat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:28 am

I'm ready for Fall too y'all :)

Looks like Flo really hit Wilmington and Myrtle Beach hard as forecast, and there are some incredible rainfall totals that continue adding up in nearby areas! Check out the rainfall totals as of Friday evening:

Hope you guys are faring OK during this event. Here in the Triangle we ended up getting a few heavy rainbands late Friday afternoon and evening with gusty winds. Gonna be a wet few days ahead!
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby FireRat » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:03 am

Watching soon to be Hurricane Michael down in the Caribbean, he's forecast to strike the north gulf coast of Florida and potentially com this way as a weakening tropical storm...not good news at all after what many of us dealt with Florence! Looks like a stormy week coming up followed by much more Fall-like weather come around 10/13.

Michael is not to be underestimated, this storm will likely impact the Carolinas with wind and water around 10/10 to 10/12. Watch this storm closely fellow Carolineans.
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby FireRat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:34 am

Looking like a pretty rough day and evening on this Good Friday here in the Carolinas! MDT category is no joke, we might see widespread severe thunderstorms and a few embedded tornadoes, probably the biggest severe weather day in quite some time.

4/19/2019
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby northjaxpro » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:36 am

Yeah, the people in the Carolinas really need to be on guard today. The best dynamics and support for severe thunderstorms and tornadoes will shift norrth as the day progresses and will be across that region, especially late this afternoon into the early evening..

I am anticipating severe thunderatorm or tornado watches to be issued later today for the North and South Carolina region by SPC for sure. It indeed could be a rough day up that way late today into this evening.
1 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby FireRat » Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 pm

I might have to start building an Ark
:raincloud:
Been non-stop rain since Tuesday night here! Now its ridiculously heavy tonight, creeks might overflow if this keeps up here in Central NC. :double:

What a weird May it has been in these parts, cool.and wet, like an April but on crack.
0 likes   

Stangfriik
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#12 Postby Stangfriik » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm

We are gonna be camping and hopefully hiking the week of July 3rd-8th and the forecast up there is calling for 80% chance of storms for most of days what's the reason for this pattern?
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby FireRat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:39 pm

Stangfriik wrote:We are gonna be camping and hopefully hiking the week of July 3rd-8th and the forecast up there is calling for 80% chance of storms for most of days what's the reason for this pattern?

It may be kind of early to predict such a high percentage for storms, but my guess is that it's just a reflection of a humid pattern expected for early July, with moisture coming north from the Gulf of Mexico leading to having at least typical summertime afternoon thunderstorms.

Any cold fronts coming down could enhance precip over NC, with an already hot soupy atmosphere in place. If a front stalls just north of the area, we could get more widespread rains, perhaps this is what models may have hinted at a few days ago. July however, rarely has prolonged rain in these parts, and instead we tend to get quick thunderstorms like much of the South. I wonder where exactly you guys plan to camp and hike, mountains maybe?
1 likes   

Stangfriik
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14 Postby Stangfriik » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:51 am

FireRat wrote:
Stangfriik wrote:We are gonna be camping and hopefully hiking the week of July 3rd-8th and the forecast up there is calling for 80% chance of storms for most of days what's the reason for this pattern?

It may be kind of early to predict such a high percentage for storms, but my guess is that it's just a reflection of a humid pattern expected for early July, with moisture coming north from the Gulf of Mexico leading to having at least typical summertime afternoon thunderstorms.

Any cold fronts coming down could enhance precip over NC, with an already hot soupy atmosphere in place. If a front stalls just north of the area, we could get more widespread rains, perhaps this is what models may have hinted at a few days ago. July however, rarely has prolonged rain in these parts, and instead we tend to get quick thunderstorms like much of the South. I wonder where exactly you guys plan to camp and hike, mountains maybe?

Thanks for the reply. Yea we'll be in the Spruce pine area. Forecast has thankfully dropped a tad for some of the days so it's looking more promising. I was dumbfounded how it could call for 80% chances of rain for 10 consecutive days so I'm glad it finally changed. Looking at the radar lately, it seems you're right where it's quick storms that pass. I was fearful it was steady rain and storms throughout the day which would effectively kill the potential for certain hikes we want to do
1 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby FireRat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:58 am

Stangfriik wrote:Thanks for the reply. Yea we'll be in the Spruce pine area. Forecast has thankfully dropped a tad for some of the days so it's looking more promising. I was dumbfounded how it could call for 80% chances of rain for 10 consecutive days so I'm glad it finally changed. Looking at the radar lately, it seems you're right where it's quick storms that pass. I was fearful it was steady rain and storms throughout the day which would effectively kill the potential for certain hikes we want to do

You're welcome Stangfriik! Best of luck on your hike, and yeah hopefully any storms will be short in duration and there won't be prolonged rains. It could be cloudy & misty as well in the mountains if a front does stall nearby.
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby FireRat » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:08 am

Major Severe Weather Outbreak across the Carolinas expected Thursday March 18, 2021.

This is the biggest risk day for our area since April 2019. Gonna need to keep an eye on this one folks, also best of luck to our neighbors to the west in MS and AL who are in the High Risk category today!

3 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”