Texas Summer 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Summer 2019

#1081 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:55 am

NWS FTW 9/29/19

.LONG TERM... /Issued 322 AM CDT Thu Aug 29 2019/
/Friday through Wednesday/

North Texas will continue to be on the eastern periphery of
stronger mid level ridging on Friday. There is decent consensus in
the model guidance that a complex of thunderstorms will be ongoing
across parts of Oklahoma early Friday morning as a mid level
shortwave swings through the Ozarks. This complex should initially
dive southward aided by 20-30 kt of northerly flow at 500 mb and
modest low level inflow around 20 kt. We should initially be dry
areawide Friday morning, but there is some indication that the
complex will make it across the Red River by midday or so,
although in a weakened state. Low level flow will back to the east
and weaken to around 10 kt as the upper shortwave pulls farther
east away from the region. For now, we`ll have some 20-30% PoPs
mainly along and north of I-20, but these may need to be raised.

On Saturday, the ridging to the west will push back a little
farther into our area and will likely mark the beginning of a drier
and warmer few days. We`ll maintain some 20% PoPs across the
region Saturday afternoon on the off chance that some weak lift
and daytime heating can kick off a few isolated storms, but
otherwise it should be a mostly dry day.

With the ridge amplifying across Texas Sunday into early next
week, we`ll keep the forecast dry with temperatures gradually
warming back into the upper 90s. Both the GFS and ECMWF ensemble
guidance have trended considerably warmer through next week with
the EC 500 mb heights ramping back up to 596 dm over the Southern
Plains by Thursday. So, we may not be totally done with the 100
degree heat just yet.
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1082 Postby South Texas Storms » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:58 am

Canadian and ICON have been showing a possible brief spin up in the western Gulf during the first half of next week. At a minimum it looks like a disturbance will form in the Gulf this weekend and then head westward most likely towards northern Mexico. Hopefully it can at least bring some rain and heat relief to south TX.
2 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1083 Postby Portastorm » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:54 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:Canadian and ICON have been showing a possible brief spin up in the western Gulf during the first half of next week. At a minimum it looks like a disturbance will form in the Gulf this weekend and then head westward most likely towards northern Mexico. Hopefully it can at least bring some rain and heat relief to south TX.

Interesting that you would bring this up, STS. I noticed it as well. The Ukie is also showing some kind of disturbance in the WGOM by later next week. I also saw Bastardi mentioning it this morning on social media. Those of us in the southern, baked half of Texas could only hope for a tropical disturbance to come our way. Knowing our luck, the damn Death Ridge will shunt whatever is there far enough south into Mexico that we'll barely get a cumulus cloud of it. :roll:
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1084 Postby dhweather » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:05 pm

Portastorm wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:Canadian and ICON have been showing a possible brief spin up in the western Gulf during the first half of next week. At a minimum it looks like a disturbance will form in the Gulf this weekend and then head westward most likely towards northern Mexico. Hopefully it can at least bring some rain and heat relief to south TX.

Interesting that you would bring this up, STS. I noticed it as well. The Ukie is also showing some kind of disturbance in the WGOM by later next week. I also saw Bastardi mentioning it this morning on social media. Those of us in the southern, baked half of Texas could only hope for a tropical disturbance to come our way. Knowing our luck, the damn Death Ridge will shunt whatever is there far enough south into Mexico that we'll barely get a cumulus cloud of it. :roll:

Portastorm knows the power of the RIDGE OF DEATH! :lol:

I think it was Tropical Storm Don in 2011 that was a victim of immolation over Texas at landfall, by the RIDGE OF DEATH.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1085 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:14 pm

dhweather wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

I think it was Tropical Storm Don in 2011 that was a victim of immolation over Texas at landfall, by the RIDGE OF DEATH.

Screw your stupid ridge.
4 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1086 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
dhweather wrote:
Portastorm wrote:

Screw your stupid ridge.

That was the most sorry excuse for a hurricane. Hurricane Don and Ridge of Death on a collision course. Upon impact, Don goes POOOOOF, into thin air, being sucked into the ridge abyss.

So depressing. Bad memories.

Thanks for bringing that up dhweather!lol

I'm so OVER this Summer!
3 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#1087 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:43 pm

I found a site that shows the location of National Weather Service weather stations, with pics of the stations. Camp Mabry is not far off the highway, but it is surrounded by trees and grass. Looks like it's on base, well protected.

NWS Stations Site
https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/

KATT (Camp Mabry Weather Station)
https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/sit ... nformation
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1088 Postby Rgv20 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:08 pm

I have been watching this potential on the models, this mornings ensembles of the 12zCMC and ECMWF show a decent signal of a disturbance spinning up. Hopefully most of South Texas can get some Rains out of this! :P
2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1089 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:28 pm

Woooooo it’s a hot whore out here in Aggieland today.

I bought two portacools to chill the tailgate.
0 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

dhweather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1090 Postby dhweather » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Well if this verifies, we will have a couple more systems to watch.

0 likes   
The above post and any post by dhweather is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1091 Postby South Texas Storms » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Rgv20 wrote:

I have been watching this potential on the models, this mornings ensembles of the 12zCMC and ECMWF show a decent signal of a disturbance spinning up. Hopefully most of South Texas can get some Rains out of this! :P

Yep they actually trended more bullish and farther north. Bring on the rain!
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1092 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:00 pm

dhweather wrote:Well if this verifies, we will have a couple more systems to watch.

https://images2.imgbox.com/83/de/41S7wZOc_o.png

that Euro run was crazy, Dorian tries to pull a Harvey over Florida

oh and I didn't live here then, but I remember Don 2011 falling apart in like 6 hours :lol: there was barely even rainfall when the NHC killed it :double: It was one of the most rapid collapses of a cyclone ever
1 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1093 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:09 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:
Rgv20 wrote:

The Euro barely has anything except for Deep South TX. Brownsville could get something.
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1094 Postby South Texas Storms » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:38 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Rgv20 wrote:

The Euro barely has anything except for Deep South TX. Brownsville could get something.

Latest Euro Ensemble has 1-3 inches along and south of IH-10 over the next 10 days.
0 likes   

Tejas89
Category 1
Category 1

#1095 Postby Tejas89 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:46 pm

Upper 90's creeping into forecast for next week. Summer never surrenders easily.
0 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#1096 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:23 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
dhweather wrote:

Screw your stupid ridge.

That was the most sorry excuse for a hurricane. Hurricane Don and Ridge of Death on a collision course. Upon impact, Don goes POOOOOF, into thin air, being sucked into the ridge abyss.

I'm so OVER this Summer!

Before I was a member here, I recall reading about the "Ridge of Death" two years ago. While it may look like it's going to last forever right now, many in Texas two years ago were saying that the ridge was going to block everything. It's interesting how Harvey was defeated by the "Ridge of Death." Oh wait...
1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1097 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:24 pm

Cpv17 wrote:

Latest Euro Ensemble has 1-3 inches along and south of IH-10 over the next 10 days.

Hell I’ll take whatever I can get these days. The op sure didn’t show that.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#1098 Postby Cpv17 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:25 pm

captainbarbossa19 wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
Screw your stupid ridge.

I'm so OVER this Summer!

Before I was a member here, I recall reading about the "Ridge of Death" two years ago. While it may look like it's going to last forever right now, many in Texas two years ago were saying that the ridge was going to block everything. It's interesting how Harvey was defeated by the "Ridge of Death." Oh wait...

The ridge of death will most likely end in a flood. It’s feast or famine here in Texas. The weather here is on drugs.
3 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1099 Postby Brent » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:33 pm

Tejas89 wrote:Upper 90's creeping into forecast for next week. Summer never surrenders easily.

Sucks

98 today, kind of surprising

What happened to all the rain this week
1 likes   
#neversummer

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#1100 Postby SoupBone » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:36 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
dhweather wrote:

Screw your stupid ridge.

I'm so OVER this Summer!

Haha! I;m cracking up over here. Did Dan the Death Ridge really kill Don the Hurricane?
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”