Texas Fall 2019

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Fall 2019

#1561 Postby Texas Snow » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Brent wrote:Can't believe no one posted the 18z GFS its only 360 hours away!

https://i.ibb.co/xJWSmjW/gfs-mslp-pcpn-frzn-scus-60.png

Gospel
1 likes   
"Don't let wishcastin get in the way of your forecastin"

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1562 Postby hriverajr » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:22 pm

lol.. you DFW folks are desperate :)
6 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#1563 Postby Cerlin » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:30 pm

hriverajr wrote:lol.. you DFW folks are desperate :)

Of course we are!! We will do anything for even a taste of snow!! :lol:
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1564 Postby Brent » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:49 am

record snowless streak so clearly we are :P

0z Euro says happy Thanksgiving :double: not far off the record high of 81 on Thursday

0 likes   
#neversummer

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1565 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:04 am

Houston has seen more snow over the last 4 Winters than DFW
4 likes   

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1566 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:09 am

Brent wrote:

record snowless streak so clearly we are :P

0z Euro says happy Thanksgiving :double: not far off the record high of 81 on Thursday

https://i.ibb.co/DM36PQv/ecmwf-T850a-scus-9.png

Way over done, Thanksgiving, and Black Friday still looks to be mid 60's for high's, maybe a shower or two on Friday.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1567 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:00 pm

I cringe watching the modeling this morning. The high grade blocking patterns from the West Atlantic and the East Pacific is going to give us some wild (erratic) surface runs to end the month and begin the new month. I would make the argument the blockiest pattern since 2009-2011 period is in store.
5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1568 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Rainy in the 40s and 50s currently. Nice weather to break the warm dry weather over the last few days.
3 likes   
#neversummer

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1569 Postby CaptinCrunch » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:16 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Rainy in the 40s and 50s currently. Nice weather to break the warm dry weather over the last few days.

This warm spell is killing my COLD buzz :lol:

Tuesday and Wednesday has knocked down the monthly mean from -7.4 to -5.7 and today is doing it no favors either :lol:

Come On December blocking and Snow :ggreen:
3 likes   

harp
Category 2
Category 2

#1570 Postby harp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:21 pm

Ntxw wrote:I cringe watching the modeling this morning. The high grade blocking patterns from the West Atlantic and the East Pacific is going to give us some wild (erratic) surface runs to end the month and begin the new month. I would make the argument the blockiest pattern since 2009-2011 period is in store.

The GFS is somewhat erratic right now from run to run (not unusual). Is that what you are referring to?
0 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#1571 Postby Cerlin » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm

I know it’s fantasy land, but GFS is definitely trending towards large Plains snowstorm between December 4th-7th, with much variance (only 2 runs with DFW snow, but one with 12 inches). Interesting to see how it doesn’t give up the idea.
1 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1572 Postby Brent » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:25 pm

Cerlin wrote:I know it’s fantasy land, but GFS is definitely trending towards large Plains snowstorm between December 4th-7th, with much variance (only 2 runs with DFW snow, but one with 12 inches). Interesting to see how it doesn’t give up the idea.

I'm definitely intrigued by the timeframe because I'm headed up to Northwest Arkansas for a few days then

But we'll see Thanksgiving looks promising too at one point(which btw is now looking possibly wet)
1 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1573 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Brent wrote:
Cerlin wrote:I know it’s fantasy land, but GFS is definitely trending towards large Plains snowstorm between December 4th-7th, with much variance (only 2 runs with DFW snow, but one with 12 inches). Interesting to see how it doesn’t give up the idea.

I'm definitely intrigued by the timeframe because I'm headed up to Northwest Arkansas for a few days then

But we'll see Thanksgiving looks promising too at one point(which btw is now looking possibly wet)

I don't think Thanksgivings realistically was going to do anything wintry. Some time back models were showing a torch the second half of November into early December that has faded mostly away. Some warmer conditions (70s) ahead of a storms is the best it will do.

The TG week duo systems (mid week and late week) will be the door to opening the winter flood gates. Behind them the 500mb pattern over North America will flip drastically. It is starting to look like a persistent ice box may set up.

1963, 1985, 1989, 2009 are all showing up collectively in the December analogs for the background forcing.
8 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#1574 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:22 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote:

I don't think Thanksgivings realistically was going to do anything wintry. Some time back models were showing a torch the second half of November into early December that has faded mostly away. Some warmer conditions (70s) ahead of a storms is the best it will do.

The TG week duo systems (mid week and late week) will be the door to opening the winter flood gates. Behind them the 500mb pattern over North America will flip drastically. It is starting to look like a persistent ice box may set up.

1963, 1985, 1989, 2009 are all showing up collectively in the December analogs for the background forcing.

Ntxw, what are your thoughts on this possible SSW event i have been hearing about lately? Are you basing those incredibly cold Decembers to that possibility or is that not including that?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1575 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:35 pm

hamburgerman7070 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote:

Ntxw, what are your thoughts on this possible SSW event i have been hearing about lately? Are you basing those incredibly cold Decembers to that possibility or is that not including that?

I don't believe we will get a true SSW. I do believe the strat vortex will be heavily weakened to start winter. The Pacific is attacking it. The past couple of years it has started out very strong. The troposphere is playing cold this year. It has been easy to get blocks in 2019 as well as the big elephant in the room out there in the Pacific.

If you recall I keep pointing out the IO/Maritime Continent. It is the biggest change in the decadal trend. After so many years of high octane convection over this region, the reverse has happened. Also 2013 is not an analog, but you can expect the North Pacific to be a force like it was that year over and over and over.
1 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

hamburgerman7070
Category 1
Category 1

#1576 Postby hamburgerman7070 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:12 pm

Ntxw wrote:
hamburgerman7070 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

I don't believe we will get a true SSW. I do believe the strat vortex will be heavily weakened to start winter. The Pacific is attacking it. The past couple of years it has started out very strong. The troposphere is playing cold this year. It has been easy to get blocks in 2019 as well as the big elephant in the room out there in the Pacific.

If you recall I keep pointing out the IO/Maritime Continent. It is the biggest change in the decadal trend. After so many years of high octane convection over this region, the reverse has happened. Also 2013 is not an analog, but you can expect the North Pacific to be a force like it was that year over and over and over.

You know how JB is and he said major SSW incoming but he probably over zealous with that assumption. The eps is not showing a -epo, but the gefs is bigtime. I think the -pna will be an issue for us for a while imo. Would it be a great assumption to say that we are going or fixing to go through the unfavorable phases for cold during the beginning of December, hence the stout -pna?
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1577 Postby Ntxw » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:16 pm

hamburgerman7070 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
hamburgerman7070 wrote:

You know how JB is and he said major SSW incoming but he probably over zealous with that assumption. The eps is not showing a -epo, but the gefs is bigtime. I think the -pna will be an issue for us for a while imo. Would it be a great assumption to say that we are going or fixing to go through the unfavorable phases for cold during the beginning of December, hence the stout -pna?

We can work with a -PNA as long as the EPO plays nice. Also doesn't hurt to get some west based -NAO.
4 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1578 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:41 pm

Ensembles keep Texas in the Battle Zone in the longer range with the really cold anomalies to our NW and much of Texas in a wet pattern. This is how you get a big Southern Plains winter storm.
6 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1579 Postby Brent » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:24 am

bubba hotep wrote:Ensembles keep Texas in the Battle Zone in the longer range with the really cold anomalies to our NW and much of Texas in a wet pattern. This is how you get a big Southern Plains winter storm.

I was just gonna say if it is gonna be cold I hope its not just dry cold again :roll: that's my concern its so cold it crushes the moisture
2 likes   
#neversummer

Texas Snow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1580 Postby Texas Snow » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:16 am

Brent wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:Ensembles keep Texas in the Battle Zone in the longer range with the really cold anomalies to our NW and much of Texas in a wet pattern. This is how you get a big Southern Plains winter storm.

I was just gonna say if it is gonna be cold I hope its not just dry cold again :roll: that's my concern its so cold it crushes the moisture

Therein lies our paradoxical reality.
2 likes   
"Don't let wishcastin get in the way of your forecastin"

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”