Texas Summer 2020

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: Texas Summer 2020

#461 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 am

@RyanMaue — Bad news from the final batch of morning weather model data especially if you are in Texas. The spaghetti solutions from the ECMWF 06z update (ensembles) shows the most-likely:

Track: including Houston metro.
Intensity: Category 2-3+ likely.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#462 Postby Portastorm » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:08 am

:uarrow:

Yes, the morning model trends are ominous for us (Texas). I hope our friends in SE Texas along the coast are paying close attention. Not much time left to make the Clash decision ("Should I Stay or Should I Go?").
2 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#463 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:08 am

Found this, thought I would share.
https://youtu.be/60R40jp8O8I
2 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#464 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:43 am

I’ve noticed since yesterday that the center of Laura seems to be well south of where the NHC has it. It might not even hit Cuba at all.
2 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#465 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:12 pm

:uarrow: It’s restating the obvious and others have noted this all morning, but that is likely to have implications on future track and intensity forecasts.

I get the feeling this may be Ike 2.0.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#466 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:32 pm

Portastorm wrote::uarrow:

Yes, the morning model trends are ominous for us (Texas). I hope our friends in SE Texas along the coast are paying close attention. Not much time left to make the Clash decision ("Should I Stay or Should I Go?").

Ya know Porta, we are just having a whale of a time on Wxinfinity.com. You are there, at times. Come join the fun sir. :)
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#467 Postby Brent » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:47 pm

The EPS is still :double:

Almost all the other 12z models went east :spam:
2 likes   
#neversummer

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#468 Postby Portastorm » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:48 pm

Tireman4 wrote:

Ya know Porta, we are just having a whale of a time on Wxinfinity.com. You are there, at times. Come join the fun sir. :)

I have not been over lately. Yeah I bet there is plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth going on. :lol:
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#469 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:51 pm

Todays the day to get ahead of the panic. Landfall is about 48 hours away. Dont wait till tomorrow. I havent been in this chat much but I've had a Baytown to Beaumont landfall for a couple days now
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#470 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:58 pm

Portastorm wrote:
Tireman4 wrote:

I have not been over lately. Yeah I bet there is plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth going on. :lol:

Yeah, that sums it up...LOL
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#471 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:46 pm

@RyanMaue — Another awful forecast run from ECMWF 18z tonight as Category 4+ Hurricane Laura comes perilously close to Houston late Wednesday.

Waiting for ensembles in about an hour.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#472 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:02 pm

@RyanMaue — And the Ensembles have arrived.

The HiRes or deterministic forecast from previous Tweet it right up the middle of the ensemble envelope.

I'd be on high alert around Houston for major hurricane Laura within 50-100 miles.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#473 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:46 pm

@TxStormChasers — Mandatory evacuation order issued for ALL of Jefferson County in the Golden Triangle (far Southeast Texas). Jefferson county includes Beaumont, Nederland, and Port Arthur - population of over 250,000. #txwx
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#474 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:53 pm

@TxStormChasers — 10PM NHC note on Laura: "Although the global models are in relatively good agreement, there remains some spread in the ensemble members, Therefore, confidence in the track forecast is still not high. The NHC track forecast is slightly to the left (west) of the previous one."
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#475 Postby Brent » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:29 pm

I give up on these models

:spam:

Can we just get some rain in DFW :lol:

In other news the Euro had a cold front next week... note this is the same Euro that said Laura would be an open wave for days...
Last edited by Brent on Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#476 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:04 am

Brent wrote:I give up on these models

:spam:

Can we just get some rain in DFW :lol:

In other news the Euro had a cold front next week...

Yeah I’m already over Laura. Barring something crazy happening, It’ll be a nonevent here where I am an hour sw of Houston. Might get some breezy weather and some clouds but that’s about it. I’m already looking for the next possible storm. And I agree about the rain. Haven’t had any measurable rainfall here in about a month now.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#477 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:11 am

:eek: now the Euro is 941 mb into Galveston :spam:

I can't anymore yall lol

this track would be really close to being rainy and windy in DFW on Thursday though
0 likes   
#neversummer

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#478 Postby Cpv17 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:36 am

Brent wrote::eek: now the Euro is 941 mb into Galveston :spam:

I can't anymore yall lol

this track would be really close to being rainy and windy in DFW on Thursday though

It seems to me that the NHC has been ignoring the EPS. Which clearly shows a further sw track. Idk. I don’t understand.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#479 Postby Brent » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:40 am

Cpv17 wrote:
Brent wrote::eek: now the Euro is 941 mb into Galveston :spam:

I can't anymore yall lol

It seems to me that the NHC has been ignoring the EPS. Which clearly shows a further sw track. Idk. I don’t understand.

Eric Webb mentioned even down into Port O'Connor at risk :double:

Yeah I don't get it either I was suspicious of the EPS all day before this. Galveston isn't even under a hurricane watch...

They should be at 4am :double: :eek: :eek: :double:

2 likes   
#neversummer

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#480 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:41 am

NHC nudged forecast track westward in last advisory. Is a further west trend in play today? Eric Webb and Joe Bastardi think so:

@BigJoeBastardi — In this case the exact track is very crucial.because near and 50 miles east of the center, this will be a devastating hurricane at Landfall, Opposite Rita which shifted away from Houston, the worry here is the feature will shift toward Houston. Keep an eye on NHC ideas

@webberweather — I'm still expecting more west shifts in track forecasts for #Laura today. Even vs the new 0z EPS, #Laura is on the SW edge of the ensemble track envelope & is ~25 mi SW of the mean. Landfall risk is increasing along the upper-central TX coast from Galveston to Port O'Connor #txwx
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”