Texas Fall 2020

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Fall 2020

#421 Postby rwfromkansas » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:00 am

Still only 38. No DFW surprise again. What I have learned being here for 6 years is that to be in the eastern edge of the cold means usually an accurate forecast with no cold surprise. To have any hope you have to be further west either south of the cold or slightly further into it. But, it’s October. If this happens in December, awesome.

Edit to add: Eastern NM looks to get a good amount, so I might get to drive in snow on the way to Ruidoso Friday if the warm-up can not be too strong. We will stop in Lubbock Thursday night. Getting excited. I haven't seen real snow in so many years. When I have gone to Kansas over the holidays, we have seen a little, but just flurries really.
5 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#422 Postby HockeyTx82 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:03 am

Snow reported again in Denton....... :lol:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 5g2EUhOlSB

If I don't look outside and never check I can believe it
1 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#423 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:04 am

Heck of an overnight ice storm up this way.
6 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#424 Postby bubba hotep » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:36 pm

Looks like DFW is on the way to smashing the record low high record for today!
6 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#425 Postby Brent » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Looks like DFW is on the way to smashing the record low high record for today!

Please be a sign of winter

Btw fantasy land of the gfs looks interesting towards mid month again
0 likes   
#neversummer

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#426 Postby HockeyTx82 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Brent wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:Looks like DFW is on the way to smashing the record low high record for today!

Let me guess, north of I20 west of 281?
0 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#427 Postby Ntxw » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:56 pm

It will rise some with warm air aloft (rain) coming but likely won't go higher than the 46F daily record.

If we can stay below 43 until midnight it will be the second coldest high temperature at DFW for October.
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#428 Postby Ntxw » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:15 pm

Brent wrote:

I think a 20-30 day cycle is probably a good metric between now and early January for the pattern. The opposing SSTa between the Nina and the NPAC favors big -EPO dumps. Probably some sharp cold blasts with the coldest air since 2018. But likely dry.
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#429 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:04 pm

Cool 1+2 is vital and looks like we're going to get it. Let's see if this can lead to a promising TX winter.
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#430 Postby Ntxw » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:12 am

Ntxw wrote:

It will rise some with warm air aloft (rain) coming but likely won't go higher than the 46F daily record.

If we can stay below 43 until midnight it will be the second coldest high temperature at DFW for October.

Official for Oct 27 is 41F was the high. Second coldest October high on record for DFW and the coldest daily max for the month since 1925's 34F.
3 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#431 Postby Ntxw » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:44 am

GFS, Euro, GEFS, and EPS are starting to link up for another potential -EPO dump in about 10 days.

SOI had another significant drop so look for a storm down the southern Rockies again.
5 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#432 Postby weatherdude1108 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:18 am

Ntxw wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Official for Oct 27 is 41F was the high. Second coldest October high on record for DFW and the coldest daily max for the month since 1925's 34F.

It was record chilly down here yesterday as well. Didn't get above 41 at my house all day yesterday during daylight. It said "43" on my weather station, but that was since midnight. It hovered between 39 and 41 from 6am to midnight last night. 38 at my house at 8am now! Had record heat in the last week or two. Local station had a blurb:

The afternoon high in Austin only reached 43 degrees Tuesday–the coldest high temperature ever recorded on Oct. 27th at Camp Mabry. The previous record cold afternoon high was 48 degrees, set in 1936. At Austin-Bergstrom Int’l Airport the highest temperature recorded Tuesday was 46 degrees, making it the coldest October day on record.

https://www.kxan.com/weather/forecast/todays-forecast/
3 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#433 Postby Ntxw » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:44 am

weatherdude1108 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

It was record chilly down here yesterday as well. Didn't get above 41 at my house all day yesterday during daylight. It said "43" on my weather station, but that was since midnight. It hovered between 39 and 41 from 6am to midnight last night. 38 at my house at 8am now! Had record heat in the last week or two. Local station had a blurb:

The afternoon high in Austin only reached 43 degrees Tuesday–the coldest high temperature ever recorded on Oct. 27th at Camp Mabry. The previous record cold afternoon high was 48 degrees, set in 1936. At Austin-Bergstrom Int’l Airport the highest temperature recorded Tuesday was 46 degrees, making it the coldest October day on record.

Lots of records yesterday for low MAX temperatures across the state. We are also hitting if not beating forecast lows quite often too, indicative of the past few months. Rainfall forecasts have not panned out, but that is likely a cause for the low temps to win. Cold air is dry air, moist air is warm air..relative.

The La Nina is for real, a real Nina for the first time in a decade. I think we'll see some impressive EPO cold dumps the next 2-3 months or so and with some impressive lows. I would say this winter has a higher risk than usual for an ice storm.

The Nina is going to load Western and Central Canada while as long as the East Pacific remains warm, ridging will tend to pop back into guidance over and over until it changes profile.

5 likes   

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#434 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:43 am

Ntxw wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
Ntxw wrote:

Lots of records yesterday for low MAX temperatures across the state. We are also hitting if not beating forecast lows quite often too, indicative of the past few months. Rainfall forecasts have not panned out, but that is likely a cause for the low temps to win. Cold air is dry air, moist air is warm air..relative.

The La Nina is for real, a real Nina for the first time in a decade. I think we'll see some impressive EPO cold dumps the next 2-3 months or so and with some impressive lows. I would say this winter has a higher risk than usual for an ice storm.

The Nina is going to load Western and Central Canada while as long as the East Pacific remains warm, ridging will tend to pop back into guidance over and over until it changes profile.

https://i.imgur.com/hNNFu4g.png

My heart is full!
1 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#435 Postby Ralph's Weather » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:12 pm

I am loving what I am seeing for NM and TX for late fall/early winter. Cold shots with good moisture. I expect mid winter to be cold and dry. Who knows about late winter/early spring but my bet is warm for that period.
3 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#436 Postby Ralph's Weather » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:22 am

Woke up to the first frost of the season. And in exposed areas the wind is biting.
4 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#437 Postby Cerlin » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:41 pm

I know a lot of y’all in NTX are a little disappointed with missing out on this most recent event, but I think this was a good one to miss out on. Lots of homes around the OKC/Norman area are still without power AND the tree damage is rivaling that of a category 1/2 hurricane. NWS office here tabulated that much of central oklahoma saw between .5 and 2 inches of ice!!

https://twitter.com/nwsnorman/status/1321847801978839040

4 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#438 Postby Brent » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:58 pm

Cerlin wrote:I know a lot of y’all in NTX are a little disappointed with missing out on this most recent event, but I think this was a good one to miss out on. Lots of homes around the OKC/Norman area are still without power AND the tree damage is rivaling that of a category 1/2 hurricane. NWS office here tabulated that much of central oklahoma saw between .5 and 2 inches of ice!!

https://twitter.com/nwsnorman/status/1321847801978839040?s=21

yeah cant really disagree here, I have a lot of Facebook friends up there and while the pictures are amazing, yeah being on day 4 of no power count me out :lol: there was virtually no snow til you got much further west... like Amarillo

I just hope that isn't our only winter :lol: I feel like there's no way but it pretty much was last year in a similar setup
3 likes   
#neversummer

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#439 Postby Ralph's Weather » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:40 am

38 yesterday morning and 36 this morning in Lindale.
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#440 Postby South Texas Storms » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:15 pm

What a beautiful day it was in Houston today. Lows around 50 and highs around 70, my perfect min/max temperatures. If we can't have rain then this will certainly do!
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”