Texas Fall 2020

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Fall 2020

#561 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Looks like a few hard freezes up this way starting Sunday night. Finally.
2 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#562 Postby Brent » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:30 pm

:double: :double: the euro and gfs actually agree on a flizzard for DFW next Thursday :spam:
2 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#563 Postby gpsnowman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:20 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:Looks like a few hard freezes up this way starting Sunday night. Finally.

Looks like we could get our chance in DFW as well. Might be a heat island situation where the airport is 33 and everywhere else is 32 or below. Except Addison. Addison is always one of the higher morning temps in winter. Very dense and congested area.
1 likes   

TXdaddy217
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#564 Postby TXdaddy217 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:49 pm

To all my friends in the Arlington and DFW areas. Glad to see yall are OK. Didn't get anything here in Abilene but some winter fun looks possible next week. :cheesy:
1 likes   
I am not a meteorologist. Anything posted by me should not be taken as an official forecast. Get your information from respected sources such as NWS and NOAA. I get my weather information the same way Hank Hill does ..... I look out the window and say ... "YUP".

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#565 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:15 pm

I remember reading on here, the "backward S pattern" is a good way for us to have a snowstorm. I noticed the last couple days it was getting close, and then we have it for the 18z! Could happen, just need the ULL to dig out in West Texas
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#566 Postby Ntxw » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:I remember reading on here, the "backward S pattern" is a good way for us to have a snowstorm. I noticed the last couple days it was getting close, and then we have it for the 18z! Could happen, just need the ULL to dig out in West Texas

It's basically a further east version. +++PNA with an active subtropical jet thanks to the recent SOI dip. The second storm will have the colder air in place to work with, need to find moisture with that one.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#567 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:54 pm

Ntxw wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:I remember reading on here, the "backward S pattern" is a good way for us to have a snowstorm. I noticed the last couple days it was getting close, and then we have it for the 18z! Could happen, just need the ULL to dig out in West Texas

It's basically a further east version. +++PNA with an active subtropical jet thanks to the recent SOI dip. The second storm will have the colder air in place to work with, need to find moisture with that one.

If you can get enough divergence on the east side of the ULL, should produce enough moisture, i hope!
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#568 Postby Texas Snowman » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:39 am

@NWSFortWorth - Our preliminary storm survey of the S. Arlington tornado that struck Tues evening shortly before 9 PM CST. Rating remains EF-2, w/max estimated winds 115 mph and a path length of 5.04 mi and max width of 150 yds. It was on ground for ~ 7 minutes w/5 injuries. #dfwwx #ctxwx #txwx
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#569 Postby Brent » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:53 am

isnt that the infamous McFarland signature sort of?

Regardless of what happens next week at least we should have plenty to talk about as we move to the winter thread
2 likes   
#neversummer

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#570 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:42 am

Brent wrote:

isnt that the infamous McFarland signature sort of?

Regardless of what happens next week at least we should have plenty to talk about as we move to the winter thread

To be honest im not entirely sure, but i think the McFarland signature is a strong hudson low and a deep trough down the spine of the Rockies.

If energy is hanging back, and the low doesnt cut off, the easter side of the ULL provides enough lift for moisture. Also get colder air at the surface. Went away in the 06z. Im sure this will bounce back and forth over the next few days.

Canadian brings down the freezer.
0 likes   

HockeyTx82
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#571 Postby HockeyTx82 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:08 am

Thunder in Fall/Winter. Snow in a week?
1 likes   
Don't hold me accountable for anything I post on this forum. Leave the real forecasting up to the professionals.

Location: Ponder, TX (all observation posts are this location unless otherwise noted)

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#572 Postby bubba hotep » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:10 am

4 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#573 Postby TheProfessor » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:45 am

GFS really hangs that energy back this run, just need to see that dig more and perhaps we could see some wintry mischief.
4 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#574 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:17 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!
5 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#575 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:08 am

Euro trying to tease us again.
2 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#576 Postby Brent » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:50 am

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Euro trying to tease us again.

You ain't kidding this would be a heck of a start to the winter thread just saying :double: :double: :double:

3 likes   
#neversummer

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#577 Postby TheProfessor » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:03 am

Man, the Euro run says it may be worth driving from Louisiana to Oklahoma if a storm like that occurred. :lol:
1 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#578 Postby Brent » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:12 am

TheProfessor wrote:Man, the Euro run says it may be worth driving from Louisiana to Oklahoma if a storm like that occurred. :lol:

lol right

but seriously from looking at the EPS there appears to be some support for a storm with some snow even in DFW the mean around eastern OKC/Tulsa is almost 3 inches :double:
1 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#579 Postby Ntxw » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:22 am

Brent wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:Man, the Euro run says it may be worth driving from Louisiana to Oklahoma if a storm like that occurred. :lol:

lol right

but seriously from looking at the EPS there appears to be some support for a storm with some snow even in DFW the mean around eastern OKC/Tulsa is almost 3 inches :double:

It will all depend on how far the incoming PVa digs and if it can tap the gulf. The big trough in the east (storm moving through here this weekend) is only going to give it a couple of paths. Either shred apart and get suppressed (cold and dry) or it really wraps up and becomes a southern plains blizzard. Hopefully the southern part of the trough takes over.

It would be so nice to end the snow drought and get some pages rolling in the winter thread. FYI we will be moving over there on December 1st for meteorological winter but feel free to post about this storm since it will be occurring in December.
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#580 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:26 am

I don't know if I buy that run just yet, but some of major players are on the board in the next few days. I'm not sure I can remember a evolution like this?

I mean, come on... How do you resolve this?

3 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”