Top 10 US Weather Events: 2020

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Top 10 US Weather Events: 2020

#1 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:29 pm

Oh 2020. The year that seemed to never end, the year of the pandemic and the year of destruction. Here is what I would consider the top 10 weather events of the year.

1 - Western wildfires: No season compares to 2020 in terms of wildfires across the Western US. Entire states were burning through the summer and fall with widespread impacts after a very hot summer and frequent dry lightning (June to December)

2 - Hurricane Laura: The strongest storm in modern times to hit Louisiana, it devastated the southwestern part of the state and produced severe damage well inland as well (August 25-28)

3 - Nashville and Middle Tennessee tornadoes: Nashville's tough year began with a deadly series of overnight tornadoes, including one that reached EF-4 in Middle Tennessee and another EF-3 that struck the heart of the city (March 2-3)

4 - August Midwest derecho: Agriculture was decimated in Iowa and damage was extreme after 120 mph+ winds from a derecho roared across the state, with damage extending into Illinois and beyond (August 10)

5 - Easter tornado outbreak: In the midst of the early part of the pandemic, a widespread tornado outbreak focused on Easter Sunday in the South resulted in over 130 tornadoes and 32 deaths (April 12-13)

6 - Hurricane Isaias: While it never became more than a category 1, it brought widespread wind, flooding and tornado impacts for virtually the entire east coast as it roared upwards (August 2-4)

7 - Hurricane Sally: Yet another hurricane impact in the active season, this time the Florida Panhandle and southern Alabama with severe flooding and winds (September 13-17)

8 - December snow storm: A strong Nor'easter moved up the coast in the middle of December with snow in most of the Northeast, however, it was a swath from south-central New York to western Maine that received legendary snow totals (December 15-17)

9 - Southwest heat wave: While it was a rather average summer temperature-wise for much of the country, it was HOT in the Southwest, especially California and Arizona - with Death Valley peaking at 130! (June to September)

10 - Midwest spring floods: Significant flooding occurred in parts of the Midwest in the early spring, with Michigan hardest hit where several dams broke (March to May)

The other tropical impacts would be runners-up, but I had to limit it to 10. Thoughts?

As for globally, 2020 is a tough decision...the Australian fires, Cyclone Amphan and Storm Ciara were all contenders as well but nothing sticks out.
Last edited by CrazyC83 on Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Top 10 US Weather Events: 2020

#2 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Australian bush fires were even more significant than the Californian wildfires but otherwise that about covers the top ten.
could you add perhaps some honorable mentions?.

Also is this only the United States we are talking about?
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:45 pm

InfernoFlameCat wrote:Australian bush fires were even more significant than the Californian wildfires but otherwise that about covers the top ten.
could you add perhaps some honorable mentions?.

Also is this only the United States we are talking about?

This is a US only list I did. I did add a global note though realizing I missed that and usually add that, although I'd rate it comparable with Cyclone Amphan and Storm Ciara.
0 likes   

kevin
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby kevin » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:04 pm

Seems like a good list to me. If we're doing a global list I think Amphan, Goni, Yasa and the Eta/Iota combo are the 4 tropical storm related events that I'd at least put in the top 10.
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”