Texas Spring 2021

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Spring 2021

#41 Postby rwfromkansas » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:09 pm

Brent wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:
Brent wrote:
Yeah getting my own apartment in Tulsa vs living with roommates here which I've done ever since I moved here. Never have lived on my own and yes I know it's not perfect up there but it felt right when I drove up there a few times and I really like a lot of things about up there already

Colder and snowier, perhaps? Whatever the reason is good luck and I am sure you will be still just as active on the forum as before. Of course you know DFW will now have a big snow or two every year now. :lol:

There were several reasons but yeah Ill still be watching the weather down here for many reasons

And yes I fully expect Dallas to be snowier now :spam:

I always curse OK when I drive through it to get to Kansas because road construction somehow stops traffic completely in that state. AND the roads are crap compared to Kansas or even Texas. But, the city of Tulsa is nice. Close to the Ozarks, KS and yet not too far from either KC or DFW. It’s a nice town. If I lived in OK, it would be my ideal spot. Severe weather and snow. Less cap busts.
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:44 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:
Brent wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:Colder and snowier, perhaps? Whatever the reason is good luck and I am sure you will be still just as active on the forum as before. Of course you know DFW will now have a big snow or two every year now. :lol:

There were several reasons but yeah Ill still be watching the weather down here for many reasons

I always curse OK when I drive through it to get to Kansas because road construction somehow stops traffic completely in that state. AND the roads are crap compared to Kansas or even Texas. But, the city of Tulsa is nice. Close to the Ozarks, KS and yet not too far from either KC or DFW. It’s a nice town. If I lived in OK, it would be my ideal spot. Severe weather and snow. Less cap busts.

I'm north of Tulsa and the roads here are better than they used to be. It's been constant construction though the past couple of years in some areas
4 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Cerlin » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 pm

Brent wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:
Brent wrote:
Haha I'm joining the Oklahoma club in a couple weeks can't wait

Just in time for tornado season :spam:

You’re moving to Oklahoma?!?

Yeah getting my own apartment in Tulsa vs living with roommates here which I've done ever since I moved here. Never have lived on my own and yes I know it's not perfect up there but it felt right when I drove up there a few times and I really like a lot of things about up there already

As a new (but temporary) resident of Oklahoma, I'll be glad to have you up here! Might as well make it a Texas/Oklahoma thread from now on with how many of us are "fleeing" Texas. :tease:
2 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby Brent » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:09 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:
Brent wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:Colder and snowier, perhaps? Whatever the reason is good luck and I am sure you will be still just as active on the forum as before. Of course you know DFW will now have a big snow or two every year now. :lol:

Yeah that's a big reason while Tulsa won out over like OKC especially was the scenery the first time I drove up there the hills in the middle of the city really impressed me and the 2nd time I ended up doing a little hike up Turkey Mountain on the other side of the river. Also speaking of the river I'm gonna be living really close to it and saw some scenic spots already to check out in the middle of winter lol
2 likes   
#neversummer

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:15 pm

Brent wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:
Brent wrote:

Yeah that's a big reason while Tulsa won out over like OKC especially was the scenery the first time I drove up there the hills in the middle of the city really impressed me and the 2nd time I ended up doing a little hike up Turkey Mountain on the other side of the river. Also speaking of the river I'm gonna be living really close to it and saw some scenic spots already to check out in the middle of winter lol

Yeah Tulsa's nice. I'm actually transferring to OU in the fall so ill be down in Norman for a while starting in August.
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby Cerlin » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:16 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Brent wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:

Yeah Tulsa's nice. I'm actually transferring to OU in the fall so ill be down in Norman for a while starting in August.

Boomer Sooner Dude! I've only been here a semester but I love it so far, I think you will too!
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:18 pm

Cerlin wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Brent wrote:

Boomer Sooner Dude! I've only been here a semester but I love it so far, I think you will too!

Yeah I've already toured it a couple times, as well as the weather center so I can't wait. Getting the basics out of the way at TCC first
3 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#48 Postby jasons2k » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:35 pm

Quixotic wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:The live oaks in the area have all taken a beating. All brown and dropping leaves like crazy. Numerous other shrubs and landscaping plants are brown as well; jasmine, red tips, nandinas, etc. Will be interesting later this month what turns green and what does not. Huge losses everywhere I'm sure.

My Sagos have turned tan. I covered and wrapped them. Lower leaves have green stems inside. Not mushy, which is a good sign. Can't pull leaves out. They survived 16 degrees about 10 years ago uncovered and turned tan back then. Cut them off and were stumps until May or June when they put out new shoots. No experience with 6, which is what it got here. Hopefully ok. My Monterrey Oak is dropping leaves, and Indian Hawthornes turned brown. Not sure if they made it. Not dropping leaves. Ligustrum turned brown and dropping leaves. Roses took a beating. Texas Olive tree turned
brown and dropping leaves. Just a wait and see game. I read where dropping leaves is a good sign(?). Only time will tell.
:roll:

I can tell you that Hawthorns turning brown is bad news. My ligustrum has dropped half of their leaves but it's their first year and I have no idea if that's normal.

It’s pretty bad down here. There are so many fully bronzed palms. Also, a number of ornamental shrubs and grasses that do just fine in our mild freezes got completely torched in this one. It’s a little early to have a full damage assessment but so far it looks bad.
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:31 am

Weather Dude wrote:
rwfromkansas wrote:
Brent wrote:

I'm north of Tulsa and the roads here are better than they used to be. It's been constant construction though the past couple of years in some areas

Yeah, I-44 is under a very long term construction for widening to 6 lanes from Tulsa to OKC (Pikepass is needed for best Experience on I-44)
(Also, I saw your post on going to OU in Norman, I'm planning to go there in 2-3 years! Planning to work at NWS-Norman as a Storm Spotter (or Storm Chaser on a News Station))

Cerlin wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:
Brent wrote:

I'm planning to go to OU in Norman too! (But in 2-3 years)

OU contains the NWS-Norman & the SPC, & is very good for Weather Classes! And I might meet y'all there! :D

Also, does it seem like that Oklahoma is the new target for Snowstorms & Supercells for y'all in Texas?
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:55 am

rwfromkansas wrote:
Brent wrote:

It seems like that Oklahoma is the prime target for Supercells in Spring, last year, there was crazy action up to April, but then, it vanished . . .

(On the Bolded Words): Oklahoma roads are improving, OK-9 was repaved Last Year, to be widened by 2025, I-40 between the west end of I-240 & Newalla Road is now 6 lanes . . .

I-35 South of OKC to the Red River has a LOT of bridge work going on (Goldsby, Pauls Valley, & Davis), but they should be done by this Summer . . .
1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby Iceresistance » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:24 am

Really active pattern from the 6z GFS, severe weather is looking likely across Texas

Supercell Composite at +288 Hours :eek:

z500 Vort (Bulk Shear is wind barbs)

Also want to show how much QPF is expected in the Southern Plains in the next 2 weeks . . .

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby PTrackerLA » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:31 am

Does anyone have any experience with sweet viburnum and freezes? I had 5 huge bushes at least 12 feet tall each that have almost completely lost all of their leaves. Filled up 8 of those large contractor bags with just leaves! I always assumed they were evergreen but apparently not and I'm really concerned they won't be coming back. I've also appeared to lose a Japanese blueberry and several bottle brush plants.
0 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:44 am

cool
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

fendie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby fendie » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:23 pm

Big Bend Bluebonnets showing their color.

7 likes   

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#55 Postby Quixotic » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:16 pm

jasons2k wrote:
Quixotic wrote:
weatherdude1108 wrote:
My Sagos have turned tan. I covered and wrapped them. Lower leaves have green stems inside. Not mushy, which is a good sign. Can't pull leaves out. They survived 16 degrees about 10 years ago uncovered and turned tan back then. Cut them off and were stumps until May or June when they put out new shoots. No experience with 6, which is what it got here. Hopefully ok. My Monterrey Oak is dropping leaves, and Indian Hawthornes turned brown. Not sure if they made it. Not dropping leaves. Ligustrum turned brown and dropping leaves. Roses took a beating. Texas Olive tree turned
brown and dropping leaves. Just a wait and see game. I read where dropping leaves is a good sign(?). Only time will tell.
:roll:

I can tell you that Hawthorns turning brown is bad news. My ligustrum has dropped half of their leaves but it's their first year and I have no idea if that's normal.

It’s pretty bad down here. There are so many fully bronzed palms. Also, a number of ornamental shrubs and grasses that do just fine in our mild freezes got completely torched in this one. It’s a little early to have a full damage assessment but so far it looks bad.

Yeah, this one was a game changer for sure as far as future planting. Been awhile since we've had cold of this magnitude but really is it all that different from 9-10, 10-11, 13-14 and 14-15? Sure, this was a long, cold snap for the whole state but DFW will still end up with BN number of freezes this winter. Can't speak for other areas. Your comment about the palms reminded me that one of my neighbors were putting in a huge palm tree this week. lol. They must've ordered it quite awhile ago.
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:26 pm

12z GFS is showing a VERY active pattern across the Southern Plains

QPF is also looking CRAZY across the Southern Plains! (12z GFS)

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#57 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:46 pm

12z GEFS Ensembles Supercell Composite

March 10-15th could become a big severe weather event . . .

2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby weatherdude1108 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:00 pm

fendie wrote:Big Bend Bluebonnets showing their color.

https://i.imgur.com/ZwbyN5D.jpg

We're actually headed to Big Bend on the 13th to the 19th. I've never been there. Looks great! :)
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:34 pm

18z GFS QPF totals, 99% of Texas will have at least a trace in the next 2 weeks . . .

1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby Iceresistance » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:34 pm

18z GEFS Ensembles

Supercell Composite (Severe Weather possible March 10th-13th, for most members . . .)

Most Members are calling for 2-4 inches of rain for most of Texas, but some are saying up to 6 inches of rain!

1 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”