Texas Spring 2021

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2021

#781 Postby bubba hotep » Tue May 18, 2021 9:08 am

Models are really struggling with precipitation placement and are all over the place. Last night's FWD sounding showed very dry mid level air, so it's not surprising that the heavy rain forecast was a bust for DFW. The atmosphere has modified some overnight but the 12z still shows some dry lower levels and a PW of only 1.14 in, not really screaming "washout!"
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

WacoWx
Category 2
Category 2

#782 Postby WacoWx » Tue May 18, 2021 12:49 pm

Is there any chance the atmosphere over DFW can recuperate after this first round in order for us to see a 4" heavy rain event this afternoon/tonight? I feel like it never really recovered after Sunday afternoon even though the totals are going to be close to what they expected. I thought tonight was supposed to be the main event?
0 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#783 Postby Iceresistance » Tue May 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Mini High Pressure smack-dab over DFW . . .

0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#784 Postby bubba hotep » Tue May 18, 2021 1:08 pm

WacoWx wrote:Is there any chance the atmosphere over DFW can recuperate after this first round in order for us to see a 4" heavy rain event this afternoon/tonight? I feel like it never really recovered after Sunday afternoon even though the totals are going to be close to what they expected. I thought tonight was supposed to be the main event?

Have to wait and see what FWD does with the afternoon update but the 12z hi-res guidance doesn't really support the additional 3-6" for DFW. With that said, the ULL is still back over New Mexico and the air mass south of DFW is pretty juiced up. The problem is that most guidance shows a MCS forming and moving through SE TX and that typically chokes off moisture flow into N. Texas.
0 likes   

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#785 Postby starsfan65 » Tue May 18, 2021 1:53 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
WacoWx wrote:Is there any chance the atmosphere over DFW can recuperate after this first round in order for us to see a 4" heavy rain event this afternoon/tonight? I feel like it never really recovered after Sunday afternoon even though the totals are going to be close to what they expected. I thought tonight was supposed to be the main event?

Have to wait and see what FWD does with the afternoon update but the 12z hi-res guidance doesn't really support the additional 3-6" for DFW. With that said, the ULL is still back over New Mexico and the air mass south of DFW is pretty juiced up. The problem is that most guidance shows a MCS forming and moving through SE TX and that typically chokes off moisture flow into N. Texas.
Ya'll don't think we are going to get much rain here?
1 likes   

rwfromkansas
Category 5
Category 5

#786 Postby rwfromkansas » Tue May 18, 2021 2:06 pm

I'm at 2.25 for this rain event. Not bad, but it will have to rain a LOT tonight to get to even 4 inches.

Some folks near the coast will end up over a foot, but it seems like the maximums in these events often move around from where they were expected.
1 likes   

kassi
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#787 Postby kassi » Tue May 18, 2021 3:13 pm

rwfromkansas wrote:I'm at 2.25 for this rain event. Not bad, but it will have to rain a LOT tonight to get to even 4 inches.

Some folks near the coast will end up over a foot, but it seems like the maximums in these events often move around from where they were expected.

Some areas in the Beaumont got over a foot and a half, just with yesterday's rain. Some homes have flooded for the 3rd time since Harvey. It's really sad.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#788 Postby bubba hotep » Tue May 18, 2021 3:26 pm

starsfan65 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

For the most part. FWD cut expected totals from widespread 4-6" back to 1-3" and even that might be a stretch. I think they mostly left the Flash Flood watch up for show even though they mention "saturated soils" which is true but don't think we see enough rain to trigger any additional flash flooding in DFW. In the end this is a good thing but outside of that one isolated cell that dumped 5"+ right over Richardson, the event has mostly fallen flat, esp considering widespread 6-8" from multiple strong MCS was the original forecast for N. Texas.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#789 Postby Cpv17 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:10 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

For the most part. FWD cut expected totals from widespread 4-6" back to 1-3" and even that might be a stretch. I think they mostly left the Flash Flood watch up for show even though they mention "saturated soils" which is true but don't think we see enough rain to trigger any additional flash flooding in DFW. In the end this is a good thing but outside of that one isolated cell that dumped 5"+ right over Richardson, the event has mostly fallen flat, esp considering widespread 6-8" from multiple strong MCS was the original forecast for N. Texas.

You guys in NTX got screwed.
3 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#790 Postby bubba hotep » Tue May 18, 2021 4:31 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:Ya'll don't think we are going to get much rain here?

N. Texas as a whole has had a pretty wet Spring, so we didn't need a lot of extra rain. It's just interesting to see such a big forecast bust. Orgianlly, today was a D3 Mod Risk for excessive rain :lol:
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#791 Postby Cpv17 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:58 pm

bubba hotep wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
bubba hotep wrote:

N. Texas as a whole has had a pretty wet Spring, so we didn't need a lot of extra rain. It's just interesting to see such a big forecast bust. Orgianlly, today was a D3 Mod Risk for excessive rain :lol:

Yeah, that’s true. Just crazy to see how aggressive the forecast was and hardly anything came out of it. Definitely a bust. I think it’s going to be a big show down here though. I think we’re going to rob y’all of a big event.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#792 Postby jasons2k » Tue May 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Looks primed to dump across SE Texas tonight. Stay weather aware!
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#793 Postby jasons2k » Tue May 18, 2021 5:17 pm

***Dangerous flash flood event likely tonight-Wednesday night over SE TX.***

Short range models have become increasingly consistent today in suggesting the development of a corridor of slow moving excessive rainfall this evening into early Wednesday from roughly Conroe to Hempstead to Columbus that slowly moves east and south with time. Given the potential for an east-west or NE to SW line of training thunderstorms with strong low level inflow off the Gulf of Mexico is historically a dangerous flash flood setup for this area.

Where exactly the line anchors or trains for any extended period of time is questionable, but given moisture profiles, significant short duration rainfall totals of 2-4 inches per hour will be possible leading to rapid onset flash flooding.

There has been little change in the overall forecasted rainfall amounts today and would not be surprised if someone in SE TX sees 10-15 inches over the next 36 hours.

Expected rainfall rates and totals will likely push some creeks and bayous toward their banks and in some cases overbanks resulting in more significant widespread flooding. While this threat appears greatest north of I-10…the entire county and area is at risk.

Jeff Lindner
Director Hydrologic Operations Division/Meteorologist
Harris County Flood Control District
0 likes   

captainbarbossa19
Category 5
Category 5

#794 Postby captainbarbossa19 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:29 pm

jasons2k wrote:Looks primed to dump across SE Texas tonight. Stay weather aware!

Strange that just a few days ago I would be happy about hearing this news, but now I am concerned about flooding. That's Southeast Texas weather right there. With some areas already receiving over 15 inches of rain, I would not be surprised to see someone get a total of 20-25 inches out of this whole week.
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#795 Postby bubba hotep » Tue May 18, 2021 5:58 pm

21z HRRR blanks DFW but FWD still has 90% Heavy Rain up in the forecast :?: :?: :?:

Current obs are very high cloud bases with some virga, indicative of dry air still hanging around.

Also, shows areas of 6-7" of rain for SE & Coastal Texas.

0 likes   

Haris
Category 5
Category 5

#796 Postby Haris » Tue May 18, 2021 6:44 pm

Similar story here Bubba in Austin. Forecasts of 8-10" from NWS and many models but looks like the area got 1-3 (past 4 days) which is okay but wayyyy less than forecasted...... So frustrating.
1 likes   
Weather geek and a storm spotter in West Austin. Not a degreed meteorologist. Big snow fan. Love rain and cold! Despise heat!

Bhow
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#797 Postby Bhow » Tue May 18, 2021 7:10 pm

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/fc/12/BF79F22F-4E48-4CF2-851D-D70DD79181FC/IMG_9505.HEIC

Caught this picture as this storm was moving into Kyle. Funnel cloud or no?
0 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#798 Postby bubba hotep » Tue May 18, 2021 7:14 pm

bubba hotep wrote:21z HRRR blanks DFW but FWD still has 90% Heavy Rain up in the forecast :?: :?: :?:

Current obs are very high cloud bases with some virga, indicative of dry air still hanging around.

Also, shows areas of 6-7" of rain for SE & Coastal Texas.

https://maps2.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/hrrr/2021051821/018/qpf_acc.us_sc.png

As expected, FWD folds and goes from 100% chance of heavy rain tonight at 3:30 pm for DFW to 90% and then to 20-40% :double:

Looks like most of DFW will close this 24hr cycle with 0.25 - 0.75" after a D3 Mod for Excessive rain that held through D2 and into today (D1).
0 likes   

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#799 Postby sphelps8681 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:22 pm

What is Lumberton, Tx looking like for total precip. We are north of Beaumont.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#800 Postby Brent » Tue May 18, 2021 7:28 pm

Hardly any rain up here at all what a bust that's all I've heard for a week how much it was going to rain :spam: :spam:
0 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”