Texas Spring 2021

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2021

#21 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:39 pm

cheezyWXguy wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:Here’s to a cool Spring with zero severe weather :37:

Haha, best of luck. My family and I have a running joke that if there’s ever severe weather in north Texas that the Wichita Falls area always gets in on the worst of it.

Unfortunately that’s usually true. :cry:
3 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:42 pm

Iceresistance wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:Here’s to a cool Spring with zero severe weather :37:

Haha, best of luck. My family and I have a running joke that if there’s ever severe weather in north Texas that the Wichita Falls area always gets in on the worst of it.

What about Oklahoma, The Tornado Capital of the World?

8 likes   
#neversummer

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Iceresistance » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:44 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:Haha, best of luck. My family and I have a running joke that if there’s ever severe weather in north Texas that the Wichita Falls area always gets in on the worst of it.

[url]https://i.ibb.co/TbttfS2/4-FC6-A9-E0-EC78-4-C1-E-8091-29-F3106013-F9.webp [/url]

Ah, I see now . . .
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby ElectricStorm » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:13 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:
cheezyWXguy wrote:Haha, best of luck. My family and I have a running joke that if there’s ever severe weather in north Texas that the Wichita Falls area always gets in on the worst of it.

[url]https://i.ibb.co/TbttfS2/4-FC6-A9-E0-EC78-4-C1-E-8091-29-F3106013-F9.webp [/url]

OK>TX 8-)
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#25 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:43 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:What about Oklahoma, The Tornado Capital of the World?

OK>TX 8-)

Haha I'm joining the Oklahoma club in a couple weeks can't wait

Just in time for tornado season :spam:
0 likes   
#neversummer

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#26 Postby jasons2k » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:59 pm

I didn’t get much action down here. Only .51” and I never heard any thunder. It was nice to water the lawn and the plants though.
0 likes   

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#27 Postby Texas Snowman » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:07 am

Brent wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:

OK>TX 8-)

You’re moving to Oklahoma?!?
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:05 am

GA>OK :lol:. Texas is going through an ugly season so the Dixie ally is where the activity will be.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#29 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:34 am

After a little stretch of warmth I picked up a freeze and decent frost this morning. 29 F. Now looks to be back to warmth.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby Ralph's Weather » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:29 pm

How is everyone's vegetation looking? Here in E TX many big pines are almost totally brown and other plants that have never been significantly affected by cold are brown or have lost all of their leaves. The Jan 2018 single digits did not do much to damage anything except for minor damage to palms. We got down to the -4 to -10 range across East Texas which is obviously causing much more severe damage. My dad has a tree farm with over 10,000 trees in pots, it is going to be very interesting over the next month to see how much damage this cold caused. Demand for landscaping plants will likely be at an all time high and supply will be lacking from Texas nurseries. I hope we do not see a late freeze that would damage the surviving plants. Another concern for severe weather season is the effect wind will have on weakened trees.
1 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:38 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:How is everyone's vegetation looking? Here in E TX many big pines are almost totally brown and other plants that have never been significantly affected by cold are brown or have lost all of their leaves. The Jan 2018 single digits did not do much to damage anything except for minor damage to palms. We got down to the -4 to -10 range across East Texas which is obviously causing much more severe damage. My dad has a tree farm with over 10,000 trees in pots, it is going to be very interesting over the next month to see how much damage this cold caused. Demand for landscaping plants will likely be at an all time high and supply will be lacking from Texas nurseries. I hope we do not see a late freeze that would damage the surviving plants. Another concern for severe weather season is the effect wind will have on weakened trees.

In Central Oklahoma, several Daffodils did suffer some leaf dieback, but they are recovering very well.

2 of my Strawberry plants also survived (I had more, but all but those 2 died last Summer)
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#32 Postby Brent » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:38 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:
Brent wrote:
Weather Dude wrote:OK>TX 8-)

Yeah getting my own apartment in Tulsa vs living with roommates here which I've done ever since I moved here. Never have lived on my own and yes I know it's not perfect up there but it felt right when I drove up there a few times and I really like a lot of things about up there already
4 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:24 pm

Ralph's Weather wrote:How is everyone's vegetation looking? Here in E TX many big pines are almost totally brown and other plants that have never been significantly affected by cold are brown or have lost all of their leaves. The Jan 2018 single digits did not do much to damage anything except for minor damage to palms. We got down to the -4 to -10 range across East Texas which is obviously causing much more severe damage. My dad has a tree farm with over 10,000 trees in pots, it is going to be very interesting over the next month to see how much damage this cold caused. Demand for landscaping plants will likely be at an all time high and supply will be lacking from Texas nurseries. I hope we do not see a late freeze that would damage the surviving plants. Another concern for severe weather season is the effect wind will have on weakened trees.

I wrapped my sagos using heat strip and covered them, they seem to have survived the -10 surprisingly. My shrubs in front of the house have turned grayish brown. I’m sure sure if they’ll make it. My huge pines are brownish but still have some green so hopefully they’ll pull out of it. My wife grows roses and black roses which it appears they all have died.
0 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#34 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:25 pm

Brent wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:
Brent wrote:

Yeah getting my own apartment in Tulsa vs living with roommates here which I've done ever since I moved here. Never have lived on my own and yes I know it's not perfect up there but it felt right when I drove up there a few times and I really like a lot of things about up there already

Colder and snowier, perhaps? Whatever the reason is good luck and I am sure you will be still just as active on the forum as before. Of course you know DFW will now have a big snow or two every year now. :lol:
3 likes   

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#35 Postby gpsnowman » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:28 pm

The live oaks in the area have all taken a beating. All brown and dropping leaves like crazy. Numerous other shrubs and landscaping plants are brown as well; jasmine, red tips, nandinas, etc. Will be interesting later this month what turns green and what does not. Huge losses everywhere I'm sure.
Last edited by gpsnowman on Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#36 Postby Brent » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:29 pm

gpsnowman wrote:
Brent wrote:
Texas Snowman wrote:

Colder and snowier, perhaps? Whatever the reason is good luck and I am sure you will be still just as active on the forum as before. Of course you know DFW will now have a big snow or two every year now. :lol:

There were several reasons but yeah Ill still be watching the weather down here for many reasons

And yes I fully expect Dallas to be snowier now :spam:
3 likes   
#neversummer

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#37 Postby TheProfessor » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:43 pm

Brent wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:
Brent wrote:

There were several reasons but yeah Ill still be watching the weather down here for many reasons

And yes I fully expect Dallas to be snowier now :spam:

I can't wait for the day you have to go to DFW to chase a snowstorm. :lol:
2 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#38 Postby weatherdude1108 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm

gpsnowman wrote:

The live oaks in the area have all taken a beating. All brown and dropping leaves like crazy. Numerous other shrubs and landscaping plants are brown as well; jasmine, red tips, nandinas, etc. Will be interesting later this month what turns green and what does not. Huge losses everywhere I'm sure.

My Sagos have turned tan. I covered and wrapped them. Lower leaves have green stems inside. Not mushy, which is a good sign. Can't pull leaves out. They survived 16 degrees about 10 years ago uncovered and turned tan back then. Cut them off and were stumps until May or June when they put out new shoots. No experience with 6, which is what it got here. Hopefully ok. My Monterrey Oak is dropping leaves, and Indian Hawthornes turned brown. Not sure if they made it. Not dropping leaves. Ligustrum turned brown and dropping leaves. Roses took a beating. Texas Olive tree turned
brown and dropping leaves. Just a wait and see game. I read where dropping leaves is a good sign(?). Only time will tell.
:roll:
0 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#39 Postby Quixotic » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:56 pm

I'm anxious to see what happens with the plants. I know it's bad when the youpon holly leaves are falling off en masse. Unlike recent winters, there isn't a spec of green in our "grass" which after the recent rains has turned the yard into a muddy mess.
0 likes   

Quixotic
Category 2
Category 2

#40 Postby Quixotic » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:59 pm

weatherdude1108 wrote:
gpsnowman wrote:

My Sagos have turned tan. I covered and wrapped them. Lower leaves have green stems inside. Not mushy, which is a good sign. Can't pull leaves out. They survived 16 degrees about 10 years ago uncovered and turned tan back then. Cut them off and were stumps until May or June when they put out new shoots. No experience with 6, which is what it got here. Hopefully ok. My Monterrey Oak is dropping leaves, and Indian Hawthornes turned brown. Not sure if they made it. Not dropping leaves. Ligustrum turned brown and dropping leaves. Roses took a beating. Texas Olive tree turned
brown and dropping leaves. Just a wait and see game. I read where dropping leaves is a good sign(?). Only time will tell.
:roll:

I can tell you that Hawthorns turning brown is bad news. My ligustrum has dropped half of their leaves but it's their first year and I have no idea if that's normal.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”