January "Christmas Winds" in the BVI

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
salescall
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

January "Christmas Winds" in the BVI

#1 Postby salescall » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:09 pm

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong place. I've got a sailing vacation planned the beginning of January (2022) in the British Virgin Islands. I had a friend just warn me that there is a good possibility that I may experience the phenomenon called Christmas Winds, where there will be several days of excessive winds and rough seas. I researched the web and found very little information about it. Would love to get more insight from some of the experts on the board if possible. Trying to figure out what to expect for the crew I'm bringing.

Thanks in advance for the help!
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: January "Christmas Winds" in the BVI

#2 Postby tolakram » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:18 pm

salescall wrote:I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong place. I've got a sailing vacation planned the beginning of January (2022) in the British Virgin Islands. I had a friend just warn me that there is a good possibility that I may experience the phenomenon called Christmas Winds, where there will be several days of excessive winds and rough seas. I researched the web and found very little information about it. Would love to get more insight from some of the experts on the board if possible. Trying to figure out what to expect for the crew I'm bringing.

This is the right place. I found this: https://www.moorings.com/destinations/c ... 15%20knots.

During the winter months (Nov. to Jan) the wind is from the northeast at 15-20 knots. The Christmas winds can produce 25-30 knots for several days at a time. In February the winds move to the east and by June it changes to the southeast at 10-15 knots. September & October the trade winds are at its weakest and the weather can be less settled. By November the high pressure system around Bermuda starts to stabilize and 15-20 knot breezes become the norm. Local seas are "relaxed" seas and generally in the 3-4 foot range.
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

salescall
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3 Postby salescall » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:56 pm

tolakram wrote:
salescall wrote:I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question, so I apologize if I'm in the wrong place. I've got a sailing vacation planned the beginning of January (2022) in the British Virgin Islands. I had a friend just warn me that there is a good possibility that I may experience the phenomenon called Christmas Winds, where there will be several days of excessive winds and rough seas. I researched the web and found very little information about it. Would love to get more insight from some of the experts on the board if possible. Trying to figure out what to expect for the crew I'm bringing.

This is the right place. I found this: https://www.moorings.com/destinations/c ... 15%20knots.

During the winter months (Nov. to Jan) the wind is from the northeast at 15-20 knots. The Christmas winds can produce 25-30 knots for several days at a time. In February the winds move to the east and by June it changes to the southeast at 10-15 knots. September & October the trade winds are at its weakest and the weather can be less settled. By November the high pressure system around Bermuda starts to stabilize and 15-20 knot breezes become the norm. Local seas are "relaxed" seas and generally in the 3-4 foot range.

Thanks for the reply!
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4 Postby wxman57 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:22 am

I've been forecasting wind across the northeast Caribbean since 1980. While the normal easterly trade winds during the late spring to early fall are consistently in the 15-20 kt range, wind speeds are often higher in winter as large transitory Polar high pressure areas move off the East U.S. Coast out into the Atlantic. These high pressure systems can temporarily increase the pressure gradient across the northeast Caribbean, bumping up the winds to 20-25 kts. Same thing happens, but in reverse, as frontal systems pass to the north. The pressure gradient drops off and winds become very light. Usually, neither the strong wind period or light wind period lasts very long. We have a few S2K members living in the BVI, perhaps they would be a good source for discussing wind speeds there?
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”